Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After overcoming a slow beginning riddled with injuries, Thomas has lagged behind his teammates when it comes to grasping critical details in practices and in games. Even more condemning, Skiles said weeks ago, he hasn't worked as hard as everyone else.

Skiles has used Thomas sparingly in just three games. The benchings led Thomas to speculate about a trade last week.

His hunch is correct, but the Bulls aren't in a hurry to get rid of him.

"There's nothing on the horizon in terms of resolving if he wants to move on," Paxson said. "We have a plan that looks beyond tomorrow. We have a plan that looks into next year and beyond that. We have to use the contracts <B>we have the right way.</B>"
YES another jib comment by Pax... i thought it was funny

the rest of the article here:
Link

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
Re: Tribune: Bulls Continuning Differences Wiht TT

I wish the reporters would stop talking about Tim Thomas. Seriously, does anyone really care? He was only in the deal to make the trade work and b/c his contract is expiring. I had a small hope that maybe he could be a contributer, but obviously it isn't going to happen. So let's drop it, and just tell him this is the penalty for having a big expiring contract (and don't work hard).

·
Registered
1,576 Posts

Thoams has the abulity to help this team win some games. From all accounts, it's up to him to prove to Skiles and the rest of the coaching staff that he is willing to work hard which will earn him some minutes

·
Registered
9,349 Posts

Its not just ability. Tim Thomas giving 85%-90% can likely offer enough production to help this team win games.

·
Registered
64 Posts

85-90%, if fully healthy is not good enough. He is being paid millions to give 100%. He is a bad influence to the younger players if this is what he plans on doing, and he will be gone by the deadline. No true Bull fan should support this bum. I also believe he would be playing if he was giving anything close to 90%...

The team doesn't need Tim Thomas, even if he helps them win 1 or 2 games along the line.

·
Administrator 12/02--7/07
36,839 Posts

A slightly different spin from Garcia's gloom and doom:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sports/cst-spt-bull24.html

But Paxson downplayed the suggestion that Thomas, who came to the Bulls from the New York Knicks as part of the Eddy Curry trade and will earn $14 million this season, has become a big-money malcontent.

''There's way too much being made of it,'' Paxson said of Thomas, who has played in only three of nine games and averaged 10.7 minutes. ''I think if Tim was making a smaller amount of money, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Tim knows what is expected of him. Just because he makes a lot of money doesn't mean that he has to be on the floor if he's not doing what the coaches are looking for. That's not to say he's not. It's just that it's been kind of a disjointed early part of the year for him.''

Thomas, who has averaged 72 games played through his eight NBA seasons, missed time through training camp because of ankle sprains and recently complained of back pain.

''We've talked to Tim; Tim's a good guy,'' Paxson said. ''He's at a little bit of a different stage of his career than a lot of our guys. There are probably a lot of guys in this league feeling like they're biding their time and not playing the role they want to play. A lot of it goes to learning what we're doing, understanding what we're doing, doing what's being asked of you. Those are things we address out there on the practice floor every day. The one thing I admire about Scott is he'll give guys a chance if they earn it out here.

''I support Scott in terms of how he runs this team and how he rewards players with time on the floor in games. And it's really as simple as that. What I expect from a player, whether they're playing 48 minutes a night or not playing at all, [is] to treat the game with respect and approach the game professionally. And that's how we'll operate.''

·
"Meow."
5,595 Posts

yodurk said:
I wish the reporters would stop talking about Tim Thomas. Seriously, does anyone really care? He was only in the deal to make the trade work and b/c his contract is expiring. I had a small hope that maybe he could be a contributer, but obviously it isn't going to happen. So let's drop it, and just tell him this is the penalty for having a big expiring contract (and don't work hard).
I'm also tired of this topic. Perhaps, the reason this story is still getting play is that it is genuinely effecting the team. Thomas' unhappiness may be permeating the Bulls locker room and be more then marginly responsible for the Bulls mediocre play. This isn't something I would expect media to overtly write about, and we fans wouldn't know any better. . . If we read between the lines -- and are correct -- the Bulls may not have the option of keeping Thomas until the end of the season and then using his contract for cap space.

·
Registered
8,438 Posts

such sweet thunder said:
I'm also tired of this topic. Perhaps, the reason this story is still getting play is that it is genuinely effecting the team. Thomas' unhappiness may be permeating the Bulls locker room and be more then marginly responsible for the Bulls mediocre play. This isn't something I would expect media to overtly write about, and we fans wouldn't know any better. . . If we read between the lines -- and are correct -- the Bulls may not have the option of keeping Thomas until the end of the season and then using his contract for cap space.
Can't they just put him on leave while maintaining him under contract if things get really bad?

·
Registered
458 Posts

Darius Miles Davis said:
Can't they just put him on leave while maintaining him under contract if things get really bad?
Slackers like Thomas should lose their contracts, if the underperform...One of the bigger jokes in the league. So gifted, so lazy...

·
Registered
9,349 Posts

Its a story because its very strange for a teams’ highest paid player to be healthy and saying he is wanting to play and for the coach to simply ignore him.

Its one thing if its Frank Williams… another entirely for a guy that you are paying 14 million for?

I wonder how many season tickets in the 100 level it takes to pay Tim Thomas’ salary this year?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts