Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beagle. Since you were there, maybe you can add perspective:

- Mouton, the PG had more turnovers (5), than assists (3). Can't see winning many games that way
- Rider had 24 Turnovers, Jason Thompson had 8
- Muniz 0 points, same with Mansell, Paul Johnson and Rodney Pierce.

Most troubling is Rider shot well 8-16 (50%) from 3 and still lost the game by 12 points in a low scoring game. What would happen on a night where they didn't shoot well?

How were the fast break points? Rider scored more points tonight but most seemed to be free throws at the end of the game.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Mouton started playing well two of his to's were on offensive fouls, he shot better, he played better last night then against Bucknell, I expect him to continue to improve.

Way to many to's Rider was called for about 6 illegal screens which go as turnovers, Mouton had two offensive fouls also to's. Some of the turnovers were acceptable but there were a number where Drexel just anticipated a weak pass an deflected it.

Mansell had 2 points on 1-1 shooting, Pierce and Muniz missed their shots and P Johnson did not attempt a shot.

I am encouraged by the play so far alot of the game last night there were two or three freshmen on the floor at the same time, at one point 4 freshmen and one sophmore. Being a young team and still figuring out each other there is going to be sloppy play and young guys having a good game then may struggle the next game. Drexel is a pretty good veteran team. During Drexel's run they were not looking for a good shot and shot to quickly, Drexel turned up the D in the second half and they shot 21 of 23 from the line in a game where way to many whistles were blown. Dominick Mejia is a very good player, NC State transfer. Chas Crawford is a very good shot blocker he had 6 4 on JT I think, but JT made a nice adjustment after throwing up a few fade aways that got blocked and took it strong to the hole against him and scored down the strech.

50 percent from 3 is good yes you would think a team doing that would win I would counter that stat last night that if your 2 senior forwards are held scoreless how did they keep it to 12?

Fast break points were not as many as I think there will be most points were from offensive sets.

Rider has played two games so far both against teams that won post season games last year and have been in the games, the coaches and the players are still learning and they are competitive. I expected them to struggle with these first four games. I am very happy with the talent level of the team and think when they gel they will be a team that can make some noise come conference time.

Saintly nice to have you ask a question about Rider, thanks

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
One plus this year is the play of JT and after these first couple of games he won't see many defenders that will match up against him like Crawford, McNaughton he did not miss a shot against Drexel excpt for the ones Crawford blocked He has improved more then I expected look for his numbers to continue to improve :banana:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts