Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do I "thumbs-up" this article? Because Tubby is finally punishing the team. As one of the most patient and nicest guys I've ever met, I don't see how even Tubby has put up with the Cats blowing these leads and losing focus like they have been all year. It's pissing me off and Tubby's finally showing it's pissing him off too. Yeah, it's a day before a crucial match-up with Florida, but if the team won't listen to Tubby, what's he going to do?

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=263610

"I’ve tried to be very patient," Smith said with exasperation. "We’re six games into (the SEC), we’re WAY past that margin of being patient."

Smith spoke bluntly and very matter of fact, but his message was clear – the little mistakes that have haunted UK are not going to be tolerated anymore. He cited poor decision making in the Vanderbilt loss as a prime example.

"Shot selection. Just poor, as simple as that," Smith said. "Poor decisions on when to shoot and that’s it. Time and score, we have no idea. Guys have no understanding of that’s not a good shot even if you were wide open. That’s what I meant. Now, that guy knows that when he screws up, he’s coming out. We’re not moving him to another position, he’s coming out.

"I’ve tried every other way, no it’s time to do it something. Guys are getting too many minutes anyway. Gerald, Erik, Chuck, they’re playing too many minutes anyway. That’s why we are having such a drop off at the end of halves and games."

"Some of those guys want to, ‘I’m going to win the game for us,’ that type of mentality," Smith said. "You don’t win the game, the team wins the game. The play wins the game. Execute the play, it doesn’t matter who is at the end of it. But when you don’t run the play and try to do your own thing, you get the result we got. It’s a selfish thing.

"For the most part we’ve been getting things done, but I think we need more leadership. We’ve got to have better leadership. Let’s say I’m not satisfied. I want it to be better."

Tell 'em Tubby. I'm tired of it too.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Yeah, I was glad to see that as well. The laid back Tubby is giving way to the intense Tubby and I hope that the team responds in kind. Looks like he may shake up the lineups a little bit as well.

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by <b>UKBlueInMyBlood</b>!
Yeah, I was glad to see that as well. The laid back Tubby is giving way to the intense Tubby and I hope that the team responds in kind. Looks like he may shake up the lineups a little bit as well.
With the Kaz has been playing, maybe he should.

Tubby has always been intense; in practice, games, and anything to do with his team. It's in public and the media that he's laid-back, but now he's letting it be known that he won't put up with this crap anymore, and neither will I. If we lose tommorrow, then maybe that'll give the team an idea to stop losing focus, if this already hasn't.

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by <b>BlueBaron</b>!
I just hope they're ready for tomorrow night. I think we'll win, but it won't be by much.
I doubt we will. The crowd will be pumped, and unless Tubby's message has gotten through to the team, then we can expect the usual. The game begins, UK builds a huge lead, loses it, game goes down to the wire, UK wins by 1 or loses.

·
Registered
582 Posts
If we see a different lineup on the floor to start the game we will see one of several scenarios:
1. New lineup confuses FL and plays HARD
2. New lineup confuses the CATS and even though they play hard they cannot overcome FL's talent - then Tubby puts in the regulars, who are suddenly not so complacent, and it becomes a game
3. New lineup confuses the CATS and even though they play hard they cannot overcome FL's talent - then Tubby puts in the regulars, who are in a funk from sitting on the bench, and FL blows us off the floor.

A new lineup COULD NOT be a bad thing at this point. Even if we lose it will shake things up and hopefully get the Wildcats' minds back where they belong.

·
Registered
64 Posts
the line on game tomorrow is KY + 4. I think it is a sucker bet. Florida is in a tailspin and needs a win big time. I think they will press the heck out of KY. KY will get a lot of easy baskets, but can KY combat UF's outside size, fight through the screens and get to the wings before UF hits the trey? It is going to come down to the wire, but the desperation will give UF the close win.

I would love to see KY win, b/c I have 50$ on KY to win the east at 2.25:1 odds.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have seen everyone on this board begging for Kaz to shoot more and more. Well he shot 5-17 in the Vandy game and he was shooting 3's at will. He goes from being unselfish to shooting way too much in the span of a week??? We've already lost to a pretty good Vandy team, but let's dont make it two in a row guys. I love Fitch as a player, but he shot a pathetic 6-19 as well.

Lets just take some better shots guys!!! We can't lose to florida, my best friend is a crazy gator fan and i'll never hear the end of it,lol.

A crazy fact.... UK plays @Florida on my fiancee's bday.
Florida plays @UK on my bday.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts