Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Piker
11,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Loyola has to be missing the Valley right about now. Their fans love to wear scarfs indoors. I prefer scarfs over scarves by the way.

· Registered
3,739 Posts
For anyone who hasn't had cable in 6 years, I'm not sure how it is better..
I'm assuming the Dude meant over streaming ESPN+. You would think the "worldwide leader in sports" would have direct to smart TV apps that don't involve 3rd party devices. Especially since they've bundled with Disney+ and Hulu, which do both have smart TV apps. If Google, Peacock, Amazon, can all have incredible apps what's the holdup with ESPN?

· Registered
583 Posts
I'm assuming the Dude meant over streaming ESPN+. You would think the "worldwide leader in sports" would have direct to smart TV apps that don't involve 3rd party devices. Especially since they've bundled with Disney+ and Hulu, which do both have smart TV apps. If Google, Peacock, Amazon, can all have incredible apps what's the holdup with ESPN?
I’m not at all a fan of ESPN+

· Piker
11,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The ESPN App is great. I use it to watch a bunch of live sports events and their other content. I click it on my TV and boom! there is it. Mirroring it to your TV or via HDMI cable is always an option too. Anyway, ESPN+ is an A10 think. Much better than something like FloSports.

· Piker
11,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
AA, what kind of TV do you have for a built-in ESPN app? Not with a roku or firestick, but actually on the smart TV?
I have a Samsung Smart TV. I was shopping over Christmas and I saw a bunch of 75 inch TVs for sale under $600. My Samsung is older but it is a nice TV. I bought my father one last year. He is in his mid-80s. I would go visit and his old TV would drive my crazy. I went out and bought him a big TV and had it delivered with installation. The Apps sent him into a tailspin though. Ha! I told him to just not access it. He would call about every little issue or how to find the Hallmark channel or ESPN2 or whatever. He even wanted to return it. It took about two weeks of hate and angst before I finally got the call I had been waiting for. Son! I love this TV. I can actually see little things I have never noticed before. I told him to watch lots of shows with good looking women so he could get a good look at their boobs. Ha! Same thing happened when I bought him an iPhone. Not the boobs comment but the angst. Now he cannot stop with the texting and the emojis. OH! I digress....

To answer your question....Yes. My TV has the ESPN App and I can go on the App store to download Apps to my home screen. My TV even has a Roku App. I am almost to the point of cutting cable because the Apps on a smart TV are fantastic. I have a Roku App, an Apple TV App, well I pretty much have every App. My TV is older so it will not do what the new Smart TVs do in regards to current downloads. I also hooked up a Chromecast mirroring device that I bought so I can watch illegal streams of Nuggets games. It is great when I want to mirror any content from my MacBook to the TV.

· Registered
3,739 Posts
AA, thanks. I see available on any android platforms, sigh. I hate all the app shit for TVs, but it's way cheaper than cable or satellite anymore. I'm going to get a roku or something and hope they come to their senses and support webOS eventually. Casting from a phone to the TV on their shit phone app is for the birds.

· Registered
1,505 Posts
I cut cable about 7 years ago and have zero regrets. I first used a roll and then switched to a fire stick. I can see most vcu games (missed last night because I don’t have cbs sports) and other A10 teams. The only thing I’m missing is Oriole games, but that has more to do with mlb and masn. All in all, I’ll never go back to cable.

· Registered
2,983 Posts
Isn't ESPN+ in the Hulu App? The last time I streamed ESPN+ from a non-TV device it was ESPN3...

· Registered
2,983 Posts
I cut cable about 7 years ago and have zero regrets. I first used a roll and then switched to a fire stick. I can see most vcu games (missed last night because I don’t have cbs sports) and other A10 teams. The only thing I’m missing is Oriole games, but that has more to do with mlb and masn. All in all, I’ll never go back to cable.
I had a Roku Ultra (box) before a smart TV, now I take it with me to hotels and use it to get Netflix, Prime, and Hulu.

I found I was only using cable for ESPN, ESPN2, NBCSN, & CBSSN. So when FIOS said those 4 channels would be $350 a month, I said I'm outta here...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts