Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

· Registered
6,864 Posts
What's up with fans in Philly?
Davidson hit a FT with 1 second left to cover for the Vegas boys.
But there were only 1,100 fans in a 3,400 seat arena?
On Sunday, Wofford had 3,000 in little Spartanburg in their 3,400 seat arena.

· Piker
11,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
It's not A10 ball if starters aren't in the dog house.
This is the time of year in a college basketball season when coaches and players on struggling teams get squirrely. The coach begins "holding players accountable" or the players begin being lazy or get crazy with iso ball. Things can go sideways or in some cases teams pull together for a run.

· Registered
6,864 Posts
Im not trying to be a dick but would you want to go watch La Salle?
Probably, if I lived nearby.
Wofford has an enrollment of 1,800 and is the best college basketball in Spartanburg.
So, I have season tickets (you know I graduated from a different University).
La Salle has 3,000 students and I'm thinking a lot of them are from Philadelphia.
Would think they could muster more fans for a game; but I guess not.

· Registered
4,356 Posts
paul, I can't tell if you're being serious or not. La Salle is a moribund college program in a pro sports town with a largely commuter undergraduate population. Sports fans in Philadelphia are concerned with the Eagles, Phillies, 76ers, Flyers and Villanova (in most years). Temple is on the edge of the radar as was St. Joseph's a decade ago. Being the 4th and sometimes 5th best college basketball program in a city is never going to draw interest, even from most of its alumni. Sports fandom is like that in all the major cities of the northeast. St. John's doesn't generate headlines in NYC any longer and Fordham hasn't done so in about 50 years. Boston College, in the vaunted ACC, draws flies to most games. The other D1 basketball schools in and around Boston can't even do that. People in suburban MD are still interested in Maryland basketball, but less than they used to be. The rest of metro DC doesn't give two figs about college basketball. That has something to do with Georgetown no longer being Georgetown but that doesn't explain it all. DC, like NY, Boston and Philadelphia, is almost an exclusively pro sports city even though it is cursed with the Redskins/WFT/Commanders, Bullets/Wizards and the recently dismantled Nationals.

Comparing a school in Spartanburg to the most minor player in Philadelphia is apples to oranges.

· Registered
6,864 Posts
I certainly understand all that you point out. I was somewhat serious as I'd like to think the A10 (despite the other Philly schools) plays good enough basketball to at least draw the interest of any particular school's alumni base. Guess I'm wrong.
Location and facilities do play a part I agree.
Not sure about apples and oranges, but Wofford's arena is state of the art, and a real pleasure to attend a game there.
No Tik-Tok on court food deliveries yet 😅

· Piker
11,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
It is all a matter of taste. Sometimes I decide to listen to Jimi Hendrix sing Red House then Eric B & Rakim do a little Paid in Full followed by some Jerry Jeff Walker crooning Mr. Bojangles and maybe some Willie talking about Whiskey River. Of course I had probably smoked some cheeba and need to go to bed. La Salle students might have busy nights like me.

Reactions: JonBoy

· Registered
622 Posts
It is all a matter of taste. Sometimes I decide to listen to Jimi Hendrix sing Red House then Eric B & Rakim do a little Paid in Full followed by some Jerry Jeff Walker crooning Mr. Bojangles and maybe some Willie talking about Whiskey River. Of course I had probably smoked some cheeba and need to go to bed. La Salle students might have busy nights like me.
Ah, the late Jerry Jeff Walker, the pride of Texas and Oneonta (not Olean) NY.

· Registered
3,346 Posts
paul, I can't tell if you're being serious or not. La Salle is a moribund college program in a pro sports town with a largely commuter undergraduate population. Sports fans in Philadelphia are concerned with the Eagles, Phillies, 76ers, Flyers and Villanova (in most years). Temple is on the edge of the radar as was St. Joseph's a decade ago. Being the 4th and sometimes 5th best college basketball program in a city is never going to draw interest, even from most of its alumni. Sports fandom is like that in all the major cities of the northeast. St. John's doesn't generate headlines in NYC any longer and Fordham hasn't done so in about 50 years. Boston College, in the vaunted ACC, draws flies to most games. The other D1 basketball schools in and around Boston can't even do that. People in suburban MD are still interested in Maryland basketball, but less than they used to be. The rest of metro DC doesn't give two figs about college basketball. That has something to do with Georgetown no longer being Georgetown but that doesn't explain it all. DC, like NY, Boston and Philadelphia, is almost an exclusively pro sports city even though it is cursed with the Redskins/WFT/Commanders, Bullets/Wizards and the recently dismantled Nationals.

Comparing a school in Spartanburg to the most minor player in Philadelphia is apples to oranges.
I’m not arguing against anything you said, but I thought that the Big 5 was a big deal in Philly?

· Registered
4,356 Posts
It used to be. It's still a "deal", but conference affiliations, Villanova's dominance and the popularity of professional sports put paid to the "big" part. Long gone are the days when they played each other twice a season before packed houses at the Palestra. Times change. Even Canisius vs. Niagara used to draw 10,000 in Buffalo's old Memorial Auditorium back in the glory days of the" Little 3". (Bona against either one would draw 12,000+.) Play a game like that in the downtown arena in Buffalo today and you wouldn't get 2,500. Even if Bona were playing either one, you wouldn't get more than 4,000.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts