Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7,064 Posts
The Billikens get to play at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya. I can think of worse places to be. I’ve been there, and it’s beautiful, but there is no basketball arena that I recall. They must set up a temporary “arena” in their convention center.

·
Piker
10,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Surprised that at 1-4 Nevada is a favorite versus Mason. The Vegas spread will move because Nevada just kicked their best player off the team.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Surprised that at 1-4 Nevada is a favorite versus Mason. The Vegas spread will move because Nevada just kicked their best player off the team.
I don't want to have to keep telling you guys every season, but this shouldn't be a surprise. Rightly or wrongly, the initial line tracks Pomeroy quite closely in the overwhelming number of cases. In this case, Nevada is roughly 50 spots ahead of Mason.

The final line goes where the bettors take it, of course, but a lot of the money takes a hard look at the power indices. Nevada being down a contributor will surely affect it.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
The Billikens get to play at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya. I can think of worse places to be. I’ve been there, and it’s beautiful, but there is no basketball arena that I recall. They must set up a temporary “arena” in their convention center.
Those are fun. I went to one tourney like that, at an all-inclusive resort. They had a the Chandeliers pulled all the way up, a floor just put down in a ball room. The scoreboard was hung from the ceiling, but you could tell it was way too heavy, so to be safe, they had two ladders under it so it could rest on them.

The benches and scorers table and fan seats were like, their ballroom chairs. They had risers and tables in front of all the chairs, so the only way to tell the difference between the media and the fans was who had a laptop in front of them and who had an adult beverage in front of them. There was a bar in the corner, and they had waiters just going down the line.

best part... they didn't have a full staff, so they had a participating team's SID do the official scoring. It was hilarious because I'm doing the book for a game, and a waiter comes up to me while I'm getting a foul from a ref. He's like "tequila?" and I'm like "No, thank you; That's a 1 and 1." And the ref said "you sure you don't want that tequila?"

·
Registered
125 Posts
Those are fun. I went to one tourney like that, at an all-inclusive resort. They had a the Chandeliers pulled all the way up, a floor just put down in a ball room. The scoreboard was hung from the ceiling, but you could tell it was way too heavy, so to be safe, they had two ladders under it so it could rest on them.

The benches and scorers table and fan seats were like, their ballroom chairs. They had risers and tables in front of all the chairs, so the only way to tell the difference between the media and the fans was who had a laptop in front of them and who had an adult beverage in front of them. There was a bar in the corner, and they had waiters just going down the line.

best part... they didn't have a full staff, so they had a participating team's SID do the official scoring. It was hilarious because I'm doing the book for a game, and a waiter comes up to me while I'm getting a foul from a ref. He's like "tequila?" and I'm like "No, thank you; That's a 1 and 1." And the ref said "you sure you don't want that tequila?"
I believe that is the case here. The Billikens will be playing in a converted ballroom tonight. I hope it doesn’t affect their scoring, but the Redbirds will be playing under the same conditions.

·
Registered
St. Bonaventure
6,969 Posts
Heaven and Earth! Terrible call on Rhody there. Dunn-Martin, the former Duquesne guard, hobbit, and overall bitch, with a wild and out of control dash toward the rim before getting his shit stuffed… soft ass Chaz Williams whistle, though. Sigh.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Should not have come to that call, Rhody absolutely sucked in the 2nd half. No way should we give up a double digit halftime lead to a 200+ ranked team.

For years we pined for a credible big man with all the great backcourt players that passed through (only Hassan Martin met that potential), tonight we had superb frontcourt play with the guards not showing up AT ALL.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
I don't want to have to keep telling you guys every season, but this shouldn't be a surprise. Rightly or wrongly, the initial line tracks Pomeroy quite closely in the overwhelming number of cases. In this case, Nevada is roughly 50 spots ahead of Mason.

The final line goes where the bettors take it, of course, but a lot of the money takes a hard look at the power indices. Nevada being down a contributor will surely affect it.
I agree that it tracks Pomeroy.

However this year I am following the “preseason” version of Torvik. And it seems very different

Apparrently, reality doesn’t agree with me…

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Don't look now, but the WCC top 5 are running train on some opponents. As we sit 0-4 so far. Unfortunately some of those were common opponents we had teams lose to and some of us mixed in as well. You guys have the ESPN app you can do the analysis. It will be tough to say it's Gonzaga and a bunch of nobodies.

·
Registered
30 Posts
This entire conference is trash or mediocre besides Bona. Also kind of surreal to see Dayton all the way at the bottom of the standings after they took over the world two years ago.

It's not our year apparently. And yeah, the WCC looks to have leapfrogged the A10 in the past couple years. It was only a matter of time until the consistently #1 ranked team lifted up the rest of the conference.

·
Registered
St. Bonaventure
6,969 Posts
I'd also give it a larger sample size before saying the WCC has, on the whole, passed the A10. Nobody can touch Gonzaga, but that's true of about 345 D1 programs right now. Our top half, though, has been pretty solid over the past decade or so. UD, VCU, Bona, URI, SLU, and Davidson have had multiple really good teams and made the dance with at-large quality teams. In the WCC, it's essentially just GU and SMC.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Billikens with the only A-10 win tonight.
Yeah, SLU has a clean record so far. I’ll give them that. But the eye test tells me they’re an NIT team without Perkins. Same with Richmond and Davidson (good offenses but too weak defensively to beat the truly good teams).

But it’s still early I guess. We’ll see. Teams can get hot.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
I would say there's a difference between "passed" and "having a better year."

The WCC is having a good year, but programs ebb and flow, rise and fall in a cycle. I don't know enough about to the WCC right now** to know if they're in situations like the Bonnies: We've got 5 senior starters. We're great this year, but next year could be really rough (which is why I fantasize about how far we go this year, because that will determine how far we rebound in 23-25 because next year will suck for us). So the WCC has five teams doing awesome...

Gonzaga is Gonzaga. Only a couple more Few DUIs will slow them down. SMC and BYU are PROGRAMS like VCU and Dayton: They're usually going to win 20+ games, "NIT lock at worst" 8 times out of 10, and NCAA 7-10 seed a good chunk of those eight.

** Before looking it up:
USF and Santa Clara both have seniors as 3 of their top 4 scorers. With BYU about the leave the conference, it's safe to say that this is peak WCC.

They haven't passed us. This is a bad year for the A-10, but a good year for the Bonnies, and damn that makes my "not comfortable with being the favorites" mindset a total shitshow talking to you guys....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts