Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Even though they're playing at home, I think the Flyers giving the Rams 9.5 points is too much. URI may be playing the best ball in the A-10 now.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Even though they're playing at home, I think the Flyers giving the Rams 9.5 points is too much. URI may be playing the best ball in the A-10 now.
I could definitely see a Dayton blowout, only because the Rams' shooting has been TOO good recently. There needs to be a return towards the norms at some point. I just don't believe all these players have improved their shooting averages so substantially during the season. To keep it close I could see needing a real slugfest in the 50s/maybe 60s. That said, URI has such a shallow bench right now, if the officiating is tight then the defensive pressure will need to loosen.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
I am ready to track down Rothstein, knock his lights out, and accept the ejection/consequences in Brooklyn over his “Mark Schmidt. MORE with LESS.” BULLSHIT. What an absolute dick head that guy is. The worst part is that he actually thinks he’s creative. Shitty writer, shittier half-plagiarized sayings.

·
bonaking101
61 Posts
I am ready to track down Rothstein, knock his lights out, and accept the ejection/consequences in Brooklyn over his “Mark Schmidt. MORE with LESS.” BULLSHIT. What an absolute dick head that guy is. The worst part is that he actually thinks he’s creative. Shitty writer, shittier half-plagiarized sayings.
Nice degenerate post!

·
Registered
938 Posts
Did Obi or Fatts play tonight? I just heard whistles all night while the refs called 53(!) fouls and SEVEN (I think, I lost count) technicals. Just atrocious by the "special" A10 refs. Play was practically stopped every time down the court.

But apart from that, congrats Dayton on taking round 1. Like I predicted, shooting was non-existent, but hope the shooter's touch is with the Rams back home for the next matchup...

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
He's an ass. Does he think it's a compliment? Maybe. I dont know it sounds like the sisters of the poor bullshit. It insults the players and the recruiting/development talent of the staff. Schmidt may be one of the actual top 10 coaches out there. So just say it.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
He's an ass. Does he think it's a compliment? Maybe. I dont know it sounds like the sisters of the poor bullshit. It insults the players and the recruiting/development talent of the staff. Schmidt may be one of the actual top 10 coaches out there. So just say it.
There is a lot to this. Everyone gushes over Coach K, but you could win 20 a year with his players. Schmidt has a really good record of player development with Nicholson, Posey, Adams. They’re weren’t bad recruits but they got better under Schmidt.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Agreed. Has the same thing EVER been said about Bob McKillop? You know, the guy who's at a SMALLER school, with a smaller fanbase, budget?

I do agree that Schmidt and McKillop are not only the two best coaches in the conference but amongst the best in the country.

If you do an honest review of Bona's budget and fan support across the non "power" schools, SBU has a bigger budget than EVERY program from the Missouri Valley, CAA, MAC,MAAC, A.East, Big South, Horizon, MEAC, NEC, Ohio Valley, Southern, SWAC, Southland, and Patriot.

Our budget is bigger than all but one from the WAC, all but three in the CUSA, and weirdly enough one from the American. The figures I have are a few years old, so it's safe to say they've increased over the years.

For all the $$$ VCU spends, they are 76th on the list for biggest budget,while lowly Bonaventure ranks 113 on the list. Which is higher than Nevada, Boise State, ECU, Fresno State and JUST behind St. Mary's of the Poor.

Our attendance historically (~4,500) is top 120, which is one of the best of all Non "Power" schools, too. Considering there's about ~90 "major" conference schools, that figure is a pretty impressive point.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
The comparison can be flawed when comparing public schools to private ones. A large part of expenses come from scholarships which can be very different from school to school.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Agreed. Has the same thing EVER been said about Bob McKillop? You know, the guy who's at a SMALLER school, with a smaller fanbase, budget?

I do agree that Schmidt and McKillop are not only the two best coaches in the conference but amongst the best in the country.

If you do an honest review of Bona's budget and fan support across the non "power" schools, SBU has a bigger budget than EVERY program from the Missouri Valley, CAA, MAC,MAAC, A.East, Big South, Horizon, MEAC, NEC, Ohio Valley, Southern, SWAC, Southland, and Patriot.

Our budget is bigger than all but one from the WAC, all but three in the CUSA, and weirdly enough one from the American. The figures I have are a few years old, so it's safe to say they've increased over the years.

For all the $$$ VCU spends, they are 76th on the list for biggest budget,while lowly Bonaventure ranks 113 on the list. Which is higher than Nevada, Boise State, ECU, Fresno State and JUST behind St. Mary's of the Poor.

Our attendance historically (~4,500) is top 120, which is one of the best of all Non "Power" schools, too. Considering there's about ~90 "major" conference schools, that figure is a pretty impressive point.

VCU seems to have spent wisely

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Lunardi ethered Rothstein at the opening of the broadcast: "People always say Mark Schmidt's teams over-archieve, every year. When you do it for six straight years, that's simply called ACHIEVING. That's who you are, that's being a good program."

Also, you guys need to remember that the "Men's Basketball budget" is the tip of the iceberg and shouldn't be taken as any kind of standard litmus test.

There's no standard for itemization in college athletics budgets, so you could pay for every basketball arena expense out of the basketball budget, facilities budget, the women's basketball budget, the volleyball budget (And gee, what kind of incentive would there be to count all dual-spending on the women's ledger?), etc.

If Small School has assistant coaches make recruiting materials in Microsoft Word, and list $10 on the MBB budget for making copies at Kinkos.

And Massive School has a 100-person digital media and publications department with 25 people devoted to making glossy magazine quality recruiting pitches to individual athletes, and we spend $2 million on those publications from the Digital Media Budget.... It's $0 from the MBB budget.

But $10 vs $0 for recruiting... but who's really funding MBB more? You couldn't possibly put together an accurate measure of who devotes more resources to MBB without an independent audit of 353 athletic departments and universities.

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
Some undergraduates at the University of Cincinnati decided to see where all the money was going as their school is leaking dollars like the Titanic. Especially through their sports program that is supported strongly by "student fees."

The best part of it is toward the end, where they invite people to share their own stories.
This is the lead in to the section for sending your email:

Corrupt administrative spending fucked you over too?

Tell us about it.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Back to the UD-URI game. I don't recall watching a game where seven technical fouls were called as happened in this game. Further, you don't often see a ranked team playing at home, shoot twelve less free throws, and playing with the lead the entire game.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I think that the disparity in free throws happened in the last 5 minutes or so of the game. Yes, that part of the game where Cox had his starters pressing UD’s walk on point guard, and Fats was padding his stat line.

The officials were bad both ways. A10 officials are terrible in general. Dayton has played four games where 1st place was in play and the officials called 14 technicals. One official James Breeding, was involved in the VCU and URI games where 11 technicals were called. He was also involved in a Big East Semi Final game last year between Seton Hall and Marquette where 9 technicals and 49 fouls were called, there were 85 free throws, 3 ejections and 4 foul outs in this game. He was also the official that called the foul on Auburn’s Samir Doughty in last year’s Auburn and Virginia F4 game that included the infamous double dribble no call.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts