Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
VCU showed up tonight with an intensity not seen in a while. But UD responds. In an NCAA tourney type intensity type game, the Flyers control the entire game, even at times it didn't feel like it. A big win for UD, as it shows how this team can win an ugly game where it doesn't feel like they aren't playing well. This will be a type of game they will ultimately will face in the tourney and hopefully will be able to replicate.
An amazing in season narrative flips: Cohill basically doesn't see the floor in two straight games and then when the game is on the line, AG has Cohill in...not Ibi Watson. Even though he knows VCU needs to foul. Cohill drains both FT's and game is done. I would love to have a book written on this season. When its done, I want to hear how AG coached this team.
That all but clinches a #1 seed in the A-10 tourney for UD. Am glad that the Richmond Rams came with 110% effort in this game to make UD earn it. Was a great 40 minutes of college basketball.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Gotta credit VCU. Without Evans again tonight, they really mucked the game up and forced Dayton into a lot of deliberate half-court ball. Flyers were never able to get into transition which is where they are lethal and can generate those 16-2 spurts. Got in passing lanes, kept the score down against the best offense in college ball. Neither team played a stellar game but I thought the Rams showed up and play valiantly. Good energy, hustled, great crowd. Just ran into a team that's hard to completely stop even in a slobberknocker. Game was single digits entire way. Thought if VCU won, and got hot with a good A10 tourney run, they could still get the at-large. Just dont see it now. Too far down the A10 standings even with a #52 NET. Beating SLU and Duquesne to end the year isnt enough meat. They will need a lot of teams to lose in front of them and Im not convinced VCU can win out anyway.

Doesnt surprise me UMass beat SLU. They gave UD trouble and Mitchell is playing like the A10 Rookie of the Year. SLU couldnt afford to lose this one though. NET is not close to where they need to be. Its also automatic bid or bust.

Given tonight's results, Richmond is the clear #3 all by themselves now. They can definitely make it in...just need to keep winning.

·
Piker
8,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
10 points from VCU's seniors. I see a tough road ahead at SLU, at UMass, at Davidson and Duquesne on senior night. Senioritis has set in.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
10 points from VCU's seniors. I see a tough road ahead at SLU, at UMass, at Davidson and Duquesne on senior night. Senioritis has set in.
Being included in this is weird, given where we've been as a team. But things have seemed to be coming together and the road ahead is shining a bit brightly with Mitchell being a stud, Dibaji showing he was worth the wait, and TJ coming back next season.

·
Piker
8,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Being included in this is weird, given where we've been as a team. But things have seemed to be coming together and the road ahead is shining a bit brightly with Mitchell being a stud, Dibaji showing he was worth the wait, and TJ coming back next season.
Well, it is on the road and even in good years VCU has trouble in Amherst.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
This is true. Hey, if we win then that'll probably push you on over to the "I can enjoy all the bourbon I want and have a stress free bracket" mode entirely.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Aren't they 0-6 away and 5-2 at home in the A-10? And one of the two losses was a game where Dayton never could completely shake them?
Didn't expect to be glad to get them at home this year...

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Well it will probably be 4k and not like this from the Shaka Smart era.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Had VCU competed as hard as they did vs UD, I think they could have won their prior two games.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
First opportunity I had to see VCU play in prolonged action. I would think if they played defense in other games like they did against UD, they would have a few more wins. Dayton had only eight assists and their last field goal came with 8:51 to play. The absence of Evans and poor free throw shooting hurt. Hyland and Mitchell from UMASS are going to be tough to handle for opponents.

·
Piker
8,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
You all highlighting the point I was making. VCU has plenty of seniors getting big minutes.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts