Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
**** the clippers
16,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine
RT @JoshuaBRobbins: Jameer Nelson and the Orlando Magic have reached an agreement on a new deal, @orlandosentinel has learned

:gay:

·
Administrator
67,770 Posts
No terms disclosed?

·
Better Call Saul
13,184 Posts
Why is their front office so in love with this guy? He has played exactly one half of a season of good ball in 2009 and has been underwhelming otherwise. It's not like Dwight is staying for much longer so I really don't get this move.

·
Registered
7,220 Posts
Unless its for 2 or 3 mill a year I dont know why.
Since his injury he has lost his speed and ability.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
Ok, lets all just calm down a bit. Hes a decent starting PG, not some scrub.

2 or 3 mil a year? Come on. Look at the PG contracts being handed out right now.

·
Premium Member
51,478 Posts
Jameer Nelson got paid. He'll make $8.6 mil in 12-13, $8.6 mil in 13-14, $8 mil in 14-15. Last year is only partially guaranteed, but still.
smdh

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
I don't want to hear anything about Lin getting too much money because he's Asian anymore. Not after what Dragic and Nelson got.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
Is Lin better than Dragic or Nelson?

Everyone on here underrates the shit of of Jameer Nelson. Hes not going to make an allstar team, but hes a decent starting point guard.

It's just been decided its "cool" to hate on him like it somehow shows you guys have some terrific basketball insight.

·
Limehouse Blues
26,988 Posts
Nelson's worth maybe a third of this contract and in Orlando's situation it makes no sense to retain him. They need to be looking forward rather than backward.

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
Lin and Dragic basically had the same season last year, except Lin got hurt. They both threw up 18 and 8 while starting 20-odd games for teams that weren't particularly good and didn't really do much impactful otherwise. I have little doubt that, if healthy, Lin could replicated Dragic's 7ish ppg off the bench.

As far as Nelson goes, you know what you're getting from him at this point. 12-14 points, 5-6 assists, questionable to okay percentages, and he's not great at initiating an offense. I'd go so far as to say he's probably in the bottom third of starting point guards right now. I'd say that if Lin puts up anything less than low teens in scoring, under five assists a game, and isn't super-efficient while being that underwhelming, a number of people are going to be saying they told us so about Lin not being that great.

·
Tangible
14,515 Posts
Terrible basketball player. One of the worst starting PG's in the entire league. Huge contract for a PG who can't pass or do anything productive.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
Nelson's worth maybe a third of this contract and in Orlando's situation it makes no sense to retain him. They need to be looking forward rather than backward.
So hes maybe worth 2.8 million a year. Maybe?

Good player evaluation Diable.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
Terrible basketball player. One of the worst starting PG's in the entire league. Huge contract for a PG who can't pass or do anything productive.
Yea. 6apg is terrible. Not to mention he's head and shoulders better than any PG options on the Heat.

·
Premium Member
51,478 Posts
Jameer Nelson is a undersize combo guard with limited courtvision, if you are a contender that needs scoring off the bench maybe you give him the mMle or the Mle but if you are the Magic who should be rebuilding no way in hell should you give him 8+ million.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using VerticalSports.Com App

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
Jameer Nelson is a undersize combo guard with limited courtvision, if you are a contender that needs scoring off the bench maybe you give him the mMle or the Mle but if you are the Magic who should be rebuilding no way in hell should you give him 8+ million.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using VerticalSports.Com App
Combo guard?

Do you watch him at all? He's not a combo guard. He's a straight point guard.

And everyone keeps saying "The Magic are rebuilding. They should have let him walk!"

Oh ok. And who's their starting point guard then? No one? Oh, maybe they'll pick up one of the great ones left on free agency. No? Oh. Well maybe they'll just tell their fans that while they have no great young PG, they'll let Nelson walk and find some D-league talent to shoe horn in there so they can yell "Yay! Rebuilding!"

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
I like how when someone actually starts to question why "Jameer sucks" everyone's gone. The same guys who were in here high fiving each other don't want to talk about it anymore.

Funny.

·
Limehouse Blues
26,988 Posts
DJ Augustine got less than half this much from the Pacers. He and Nelson sucked about the same amount last year, but Augustine isn't pushing 30 and he's going to be the backup in Indianapolis. They likely expect him to bounce back from last year. Which would you rather have? Would Nelson even be able to compete for a roster spot on the Pacers?

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
I like how when someone actually starts to question why "Jameer sucks" everyone's gone. The same guys who were in here high fiving each other don't want to talk about it anymore.

Funny.
Hey, all I said was that Lin's contract wasn't all that out of line with the other contracts that were given out this summer to similar players. Nothing's been said to disprove that.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
DJ Augustine got less than half this much from the Pacers. He and Nelson sucked about the same amount last year, but Augustine isn't pushing 30 and he's going to be the backup in Indianapolis. They likely expect him to bounce back from last year. Which would you rather have? Would Nelson even be able to compete for a roster spot on the Pacers?
Sucked about the same amount did they? Nelson ranks about middle of the pack among starting point guards stat wise. Augustin is probably viewed as the best backup PG in the league right now and will probably be looking for a big pay raise. If they both "suck" in your terms that wouldn't surprise me. Not everyone can be a Gortat. You're the type of poster who loves to cheer for some loser underdog and overrate the shit out of them, and then try to downplay every other player in the league. Sad really.

Orlando showing some loyalty to a guy who wants to stay there isn't a bad thing right now with the Dwight fiasco going on.

8 mil is an overpayment, that's not the issue. The issue is with you and a handful of others acting like Nelson is some sort of scrub.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts