Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no idea why no one else has made this connection. I've seen a few terrible comparisons for Tyrus (Amare? Swift? Yeah, all three are athletic, and 2 went to LSU, but that's about it). His frame, motor, and SF skillset make him a much different player than those two. It just seems like Kirilenko is the best frame of reference here:

- Both players are a little too thin to guard the strongest PF's down low (Thomas was overpowered a few times, especially vs. Shelden Williams) but make up for most of that with their ability to block any shot.

- Both players have a garbage-man plus sort of offensive game (can make the occasional jumper, occasionally post up, but generally rely on high-percentage opportunities on put-backs, running the floor, etc...) for points.

- Tyrus looks like he has the sort of agility and footspeed to possibly cover perimeter players at the NBA level

- As a guard in HS, Tyrus' ball handling and passing seem adequate to play SF in the NBA

When I think of a 215lb player blocking everything in sight and hustling all over the court, but not showing dominant scoring ability, I immediately reference Kirilenko. Maybe I'm off-base, but this comparison just makes sense (which is why I like Tyrus #1 overall in this super-weak draft, as Kirilenko is a Top 20 player when he's healthy).

·
Registered
192 Posts
RangerC said:
I have no idea why no one else has made this connection. I've seen a few terrible comparisons for Tyrus (Amare? Swift? Yeah, all three are athletic, and 2 went to LSU, but that's about it). His frame, motor, and SF skillset make him a much different player than those two. It just seems like Kirilenko is the best frame of reference here:

- Both players are a little too thin to guard the strongest PF's down low (Thomas was overpowered a few times, especially vs. Shelden Williams) but make up for most of that with their ability to block any shot.

- Both players have a garbage-man plus sort of offensive game (can make the occasional jumper, occasionally post up, but generally rely on high-percentage opportunities on put-backs, running the floor, etc...) for points.

- Tyrus looks like he has the sort of agility and footspeed to possibly cover perimeter players at the NBA level

- As a guard in HS, Tyrus' ball handling and passing seem adequate to play SF in the NBA

When I think of a 215lb player blocking everything in sight and hustling all over the court, but not showing dominant scoring ability, I immediately reference Kirilenko. Maybe I'm off-base, but this comparison just makes sense (which is why I like Tyrus #1 overall in this super-weak draft, as Kirilenko is a Top 20 player when he's healthy).
The thing about kirelenko is that he does "everything" for his team. He fills every stat there is. Its a very interesting comparison though. He might be though in the future if he works on passing and dribbling.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
The best comparison that I can come up with for Thomas is Darius Miles. Both have similar skillsets and athleticism. I agree with you that Thomas is more of a SF type in the NBA though, but he needs to work on his ballhandling.

·
Limehouse Blues
26,986 Posts
I personally think Thomas should stay in school and work on his game and his frame.He has freakish athletic ability and a real knack for blocking shots,but honestly I just don't think it would be in his best interest to enter the draft if you consider his longterm development.He's just way too raw and too thin.Of course if he enters the draft he probably gets drafted within the top five and he will get a lot of money.

·
Registered
30 Posts
personally, after the texas game, he reminded me a bit of a shot-blocking shawn marion. an athletic freak without a true position who creates stats because hes always gives 100 percent and always plays within himself.

im not saying he'll be the type of player that marion is (although its possible) but he's the closest match to me.

·
Beware of Elbows
18,412 Posts
RangerC said:
When I think of a 215lb player blocking everything in sight and hustling all over the court, but not showing dominant scoring ability, I immediately reference Kirilenko.
Or Darius Miles, Stromile Swift or Josh Smith...yuck...

·
Registered
982 Posts
AK47 isnt mentioned because they are not alike.

You can dismiss the Stromile Swift thing as saying they're just athletic and and went to LSU, but all Thomas has in common with Kirilenko is shot blocking. Kirilenko is a better ball handler, better passer, better perimeter defender, better shooter ... He is a small foward, Thomas is not.

Swift, McDyess(don't forget he was 220-225 coming out) are the best comparisons you can make.

·
Registered
8,351 Posts
i dont like the kirilenko comparison, to me i think you're talking about a tyson chandler, only a few inches shorter. chandler is an outstanding shotblocker in the lane and can board also he has really very little offensive game as does thomas. team need is pretty much going to dictate some of the top picks,hard to say for sure that player a or player b should be going 1st.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
I think he will turn out to be a Shawn Marion type of player, I think he will develope nice perimeter skills. If you look at Marion he doesnt cross people over he uses his quickness to get to spots and make open jumper.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Spoolie Gee said:
Thomas is a much better rebounder then those guys.
Right now the Josh Smith comparison is the best. Just because Thomas is a better rebounder that doesn't mean their skillsets are different. I actually believe Thomas pojects as a SF who has some PF skills in the NBA similar to Smith. With Thomas' skills and athleticism Josh Smith is a great comparison at this point.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
ralaw said:
Right now the Josh Smith comparison is the best. Just because Thomas is a better rebounder that doesn't mean their skillsets are different. I actually believe Thomas pojects as a SF who has some PF skills in the NBA similar to Smith. With Thomas' skills and athleticism Josh Smith is a great comparison at this point.

Josh Smith is a much better comparison then those other guys although I think he'll be a PF in the NBA. And I dont think being compared to Smith is a bad thing either.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.