Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw the Duke and Texas games, and Thomas we fun to watch. He had some nice plays on both ends too. But I'm trying to figure out what makes him rise to the top of some people's mock drafts? Someone even mentioned liking him because he was "big".

Facts:

Thomas is listed at 6'9" 215 lbs.

Darius Miles (SF) is 6'9" 210 lbs.
Travis Outlaw (SF) is 6'9" 210 lbs.
Victor Khryapa (SF) is 6'9" 210 lbs.
Kenyon Martin (a "small" PF) is 6'9" 240 lbs.
Marvin Williams (too small for PF) is 6'9" 228 lbs.

Without speculating that Thomas is still growing, why does anyone think that TT will be more than another athletic tweener without a position in this league?

At best, I see him as the second coming of Kenyon Martin (a smaller Chris Wilcox?).

· Banned member
28,451 Posts
Reep said:
I saw the Duke and Texas games, and Thomas we fun to watch. He had some nice plays on both ends too. But I'm trying to figure out what makes him rise to the top of some people's mock drafts? Someone even mentioned liking him because he was "big".

Facts:

Thomas is listed at 6'9" 215 lbs.

Darius Miles (SF) is 6'9" 210 lbs.
Travis Outlaw (SF) is 6'9" 210 lbs.
Victor Khryapa (SF) is 6'9" 210 lbs.
Kenyon Martin (a "small" PF) is 6'9" 240 lbs.
Marvin Williams (too small for PF) is 6'9" 228 lbs.

Without speculating that Thomas is still growing, why does anyone think that TT will be more than another athletic tweener without a position in this league?

At best, I see him as the second coming of Kenyon Martin (a smaller Chris Wilcox?).
Good points (at least, from my mindset). You bring up a valid question, one of which I'm not qualified to offer an answer to. So I'll leave that to others who are more comfortable offering their opinions of his "potential".

· Registered
7,812 Posts
IMO he's simply the hottest name right now do to his nice play in the tournament. His potential is no more proven then Rudy Gay's, Aldridge, Bargani, Big Baby or any of the others.

Simply the "flavor of the month" at this point so to speak.

· Schilster Supreme
13,607 Posts
I think the thing I am impressed by is his rebounding. he is going for 12ppg, 9rpg and 3bpg in just 26ppg.

By comparison
Aldridge 15ppg, 9rpg and 2bpg in 33mpg.

And how do you measure heart and attitude?

· Registered
3,654 Posts
Well I admittedly haven't seen that much of him, but I was very impressed with him. He changed the games he was in...His athleticism, shot blocking and rebounding were major factors in both of those LSU wins...Particularly defensively, he made some outright spectacular defensive plays and a few offensive ones as well...plays that you just don't see 99% of players make.

He displayed a lot of passion, played within his game, and was all over the floor hustling...I missed part of the Texas game, but he displayed some very good offensive moves that I assumed he couldn't do...I knew he was athletic, but I didn't know what he was capable from the outside...He showed some surprising skill there...

He is still a really raw player, but his skillset appears off the charts to me, and he has that aggresiveness that Outlaw seems to lack...Imagine a stronger, smarter and more physical Outlaw, that is what I saw at least...

I haven't been that amazed watching a player in some time...

As for flavour of the moment, maybe so, but then again the NCAA tourney is where previously seldom talked about players can make a name for themselves, ala Dwayne Wade, whether they can carry that momentum onto success in the NBA is entirely up to them, but I didn't see anything in Thomas that would hinder him athletically\skills-wise....

The question will be how hard he works once he hits the NBA....

But I would be equally happy with Morrison as well...

· Registered
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Schilly said:
By comparison
Aldridge 15ppg, 9rpg and 2bpg in 33mpg.

And how do you measure heart and attitude?
Yeah, but I'm not very high on Aldridge either. After watching the NCAAs, I'm starting to believe this is one of the weakest drafts we've seen in a while. Just like the number one seeds, all the top draftees fizzled too. Morrison was somewhat of the exception in that he scored well--his team just blew it down the stretch. Gay faded, Aldridge was shut down, and we don't even need to mention JJ's performance . . . If Thomas has one or two bad games then it will start looking really bad.

I usually get really excited about the draft, especially when Portland has a high pick. But I just don't see anyone I want to pay that much money to. Maybe they should trade away this year.

· Registered
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kmurph said:
He is still a really raw player, but his skillset appears off the charts to me, and he has that aggresiveness that Outlaw seems to lack...Imagine a stronger, smarter and more physical Outlaw, that is what I saw at least...
I think your description is very good. But, do we want a stronger more agressive Outlaw playing power forward? Center? I like his passion and his agression, and he is apparently smart and well liked. I just don't see a lot of successful 6'9" 215 lbs PFs in the league. And Thomas is a long ways from being a 3.

· Registered
6,390 Posts
A lot of people seem torn between Morrison and Thomas... Dammt, I can't wait for draft day!

· Registered
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Schilly said:
All of this week draft stuff, I have to ask, what are we expecting? What kind of numbers have players been putting up in college outside of this year that makes them so much better than this year?
It's not so much their numbers in college--there are several with great numbers (Redick, S. Williams, Morrison, etc.). It's just that most of them either have aspects of their game that won't translate well to the NBA, or they are missing key elements that they are not likely to aquire. Morrison is unlikely to ever be more than a liability on defense. Gay ("the Tin Man") will probably never have enough heart. I'm guessing that Thomas will end up 6'8.5" and 230 lbs. and get dominated by taller bigger PFs. Aldridge doesn't do anything exceptionally well. It's not so much college numbers, but a belief that none of them will stand out at the next level. I hope I'm wrong and I hope Nash picks the right one.

· Registered
1,602 Posts
I dont see how his height is any sort of issue...

Shareef Abdur-Rahim- 6'9"
Carlos Boozer- 6'9"
Elton Brand- 6'8"
Nick Collison- 6'9"
Antonio Davis- 6'9"
Ike Diogu- 6'8"
Reggie Evans- 6'8"
Udonis Haslem- 6'8"
Shawn Marion- 6'7"
Kenyon Martin- 6'9"
Antonio McDyess- 6'9"
Zach Randolph- 6'9"
Charles Barkley- 6'6" (and thats a stretch)
Dennis Rodman- 6'7"
Buck Williams- 6'8"
Brian Grant- 6'9"
Karl Malone- 6'9"

Tyrus Thomas was only 5-11 four years ago. He'll probably grow another inch or two. Plus his 7'5" wingspan is very impressive. Needs to add some weight but at his young age there's plenty of time to fill out.

· Registered
2,539 Posts
riehldeal said:
schilly kinda hit it there....

the thing with Tyrus is his motor....non-stop
Am I the only one that notices that the word "motor" only gets thrown around this time of year? A guy has a good game and he has a great "motor" but then he gets torn up by a guy that's more atheletic and maybe his "motor" isn't so good. Is "motor" one of those undefinable things like "character" that clearly makes you a good player?

Despite the fact that I don't understand the whole "motor" concept I would agree that what ever it is Tyrus has it. I didn't think LSU would make it out of the second round because I didn't think that Tyrus and big baby and all the rest of the Tigers didn't have what it took to win games. But Thomas has come out and won. Maybe he'd help us win some games too.

· Top Of The Pops
27,460 Posts
Schilly said:
All of this week draft stuff, I have to ask, what are we expecting? What kind of numbers have players been putting up in college outside of this year that makes them so much better than this year?
The problem is that this draft is sitting in the middle of a transition. This is the first year high schoolers aren't allowed, so we don't have elite talent coming in from high school...but since it's the first year, that elite high school talent hasn't had a chance to matriculate through college to be elite seasoned college talent.

We basically have just the players who (mostly) weren't good enough to be drafted out of high school in other years and not the players who are good enough to be drafted out of high school this year.

That severely weakens the draft.

· Registered
3,031 Posts
Somebody mentioned Antonio McDyess, who also vaulted up to the #2 pick because of his showing in the NCAAs. He was never seen as anything less than a PF, at 6'9" and 220lbs. The Tide only lasted 2 games, but of course McDyess was incredible: 39 and 19, followed by 22 and 17 in a loss to Oklahoma State (who went to the final four - didn't they have Big Country at the time?).

So, I think McDyess is a fair comparison, particularly because of the startling athleticism.

· Registered
2,938 Posts
I hope some other team is willing to trade up in this draft and that our Blazers are listening. I just don't see the right player for our team in this years draft.

· Registered
6,390 Posts
RedHot&Rolling said:
I hope some other team is willing to trade up in this draft and that our Blazers are listening. I just don't see the right player for our team in this years draft.
Paul Pierce?

Outlaw, Blake and our #1... I'd do it in a heartbeat. Boston wouldn't.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.