·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting to look at who's actually better. The stats below don't
necessarily tell the story, since much of what Tyson brings doesn't
show up in the stat line. By better, I mean who has a bigger impact
on a team's ability to win a game. Being the help defender who alters
opponents' shots doesn't appear in a stat line.

Regardless, these stats compare the players at approx. the same age.

===================
Tyson Chandler F-C 7-1 235 DOB 10/02/1982

4th season stats

27.6 mpg
.496 fg %
.669 ft %
3.10 O Boards
6.40 D boards
9.60 total boards per game

(If Tyson played 37.8 mpg -same as Brand-
respective bds based on ratio would be 13.2)

1.70 block shots per game
1.49 turnovers per game
7.9 points per game

=====================================
Elton Brand F 6-8 272 03/11/1979

3rd season stats 01-02 LAC
Age at time 22 years, 1 month

37.8 mpg
.527 fg% (brand's best fg % year)
.742 ft%
5.00 O bds pg
6.60 D boards pg
11.60 total boards per game
2.04 block shots per game
2.16 turnovers per game
18.2 points per game
================================

Interesting aspect about Tyson's career stats is how his rebounding numbers go up from season to season disporportionately to changes in his minutes. This obviously can be attributed to the maturation of his body. Whereas Brand, on the other hand, board numbers have actually decreased the past two years. Brand came to the NBA with a more NBA league ready body in addition to his college experience.

There's no reason to not believe that as Tyson gets stronger, (and despite his flexing tonight, he still has a lot of strength training to do in the off season to get his weight up) that his board numbers will increase even if his minutes stay at around 28 mpg. If TC averages closer to 33 minutes with additional bulk, he may get close to Rodman like numbers. Again, even w/o consistent scoring this translates to a better basketball TEAM.

With Tyson's production of late particularly in terms of rebounds and defense, he certainly should be considered for the 6th man award...though this award typically goes to the player off the bench who scores the most points.

So maybe Jerry wasn't so dumb after all.

·
Curse of the Sonics
20,794 Posts
Brand is still better, but Chandler is closing the gap pretty quick. Chandler is a much better rebounder, even though Brand isn't a bad rebounder. Defensively, I think Chandler is better, but not by much, since Brand is also excellent. Offensively is where Brand takes it, he crashes the offensive boards the same way Chandler does, and also has a nice feel for scoring in the post and a pretty good midrange jumper.

Either way, I'm feeling better and better about this trade every year.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I liked the trade from day 1 and believed in Krause's twin tower vision. Admittedly, I'm usually on board with managements moves. Last year was a real test of faith. I was beginning to think the twin tower thing was never going to happen after last years debacle. This year, both Curry and Chandler have looked worlds better. Chandler is the game changer he was always envisioned to be. Wasn't that part of the knock on Brand? I'm still happy with Chandler over Brand irrespective of what the stats say.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Mr. T said:
I liked the trade from day 1 and believed in Krause's twin tower vision. Admittedly, I'm usually on board with managements moves. Last year was a real test of faith. I was beginning to think the twin tower thing was never going to happen after last years debacle. This year, both Curry and Chandler have looked worlds better. Chandler is the game changer he was always envisioned to be. Wasn't that part of the knock on Brand? I'm still happy with Chandler over Brand irrespective of what the stats say.
Agreed. Ahh, it does bring back memories of those ESPN days trying to defend this move back in the day. I bet people will still pine for Elton Brand though, and that's fine as well. The trade wasn't as lopsidded as some may have originally thought.

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
It's fun to revisit this topic now and again.

Elton Brand is, and probably always will be, the more complete player. But in terms of sheer impact on a game's outcome, I gotta say that Tyson Chandler is just as good as Brand. Tyson has a rare ability to dominate the rebounding department; he's a top 5 rebounder already and might be known as the top rebounder in the league within a few more years. Simply put, he grabs rebounds that other players just can't get to. Defensively, Tyson and Brand are similar with the blocks per game average, but I think Tyson alters more shots and makes opponents more afraid to drive the lane (he is well over 7 feet afterall, while Brand is pretty short for a PF). Offensively, Brand has soft hands and a pretty scoring touch, but I think Chandler has more offense than meets the eye. The past few games, I've seen him make some nice moves and shots, and he will surely improve since he's still so young. Considering Tyson may come cheaper than Brand for nearly equal impact, I'm glad the trade was made (at least now I am!).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts