Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by <b>RebelSun</b>!
I don't recognize anyone on the Italian national roster.
Here a quick review (some of those player and others will put in the roster at the end of the season )

GUARDS ->

Gianmarco Pozzecco : pg, one of the most famous italian player and a star in TVs too ... a "hot-head" with great passing skills ( often more than 10 assists in a game) and good 3-pointer; he's damn quick.
His presence at Athen is still uncertain.

Gianluca Basile : one of the best italian pg-sg , quite fast and with a very good 3-pointer ; not rarely above 30 points in a game; like Pozzecco is a bit a "hot-head" sometimes :)

Massimo Bulleri : probably the best italian pg with Pozzecco; very quick , good 3 pointer, very good assist-man and he can do some "show-time" (i.e. a 360° basket) ; good NBA chances in the next 2-3 years.

Davide Lamma : a talented guy, 2 years ago he was in the italian 3th division, now he's playing well in first division and NT !

Matteo Soragna : very good sg-sf , not so quick but with good 3-pointer, he dunks.

Michele Mian: good sg with a great 3-pointer; very good defender.

Fabio di Bella: what a uncredible young ... 4 years ago he was playing in the italian 6th division (!!!!) and now he's the first pg of Biella ! very quick, good assist-man and shooter.

Carlton Myers: sg, simply the "italian Jordan" , one of the greatest italian players of ever; dunker, 3-pointer, very quick and with wonderful jump-shot; he has still the italian record of 87 points in a game.
His presence at Athen is still uncertain

FORWARD

Giacomo Galanda : pf-c , the captain is best italian power forward; good rebounder and excellent 3-shooter, he dunks.

Luca Garri : the 1982 guy is the great promise of the italian PFs ; very good rebounder, good dunker and good 3-shooter.

Alessandro De Pol : sf-pf , very good rebounder, good 3-pointer, quite quick.

Alessandro Tonolli : see De Pol.

Alex Righetti: sf , not so quick, but he can go under the backboard and ,above all, he has a great 3-pointer.

CENTERS

Denis Marconato: the best italian center, a real "wardrobe" in defense and good in attack with dunks and mid-range shoot; very good rebounder.

Roberto Chiacig: another very good center, but not so excellent like Marconato.

Alessandro Cittadini: good pf-c , good rebounder and presence in the paint, he must still rise ( 1982)

-------------------

F.ucka will not play more with NT; he say he's becoming old and he want make room for the youngs.

As I said, there are other players (a.a. youngs) that will be selected only at the end of the season.
Those are i.e. guard Marco Belinelli and sf Stefano Mancinelli and Simone Cotani (all great dunkers, above all Mancinelli and Cotani )

Mancinelli gos to dunk

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Originally posted by <b>italianBBlover</b>!

Here a quick review (some of those player and others will put in the roster at the end of the season )

GUARDS ->

Gianmarco Pozzecco : pg, one of the most famous italian player and a star in TVs too ... a "hot-head" with great passing skills ( often more than 10 assists in a game) and good 3-pointer; he's damn quick.
His presence at Athen is still uncertain.

Gianluca Basile : one of the best italian pg-sg , quite fast and with a very good 3-pointer ; not rarely above 30 points in a game; like Pozzecco is a bit a "hot-head" sometimes :)

Massimo Bulleri : probably the best italian pg with Pozzecco; very quick , good 3 pointer, very good assist-man and he can do some "show-time" (i.e. a 360° basket) ; good NBA chances in the next 2-3 years.

Davide Lamma : a talented guy, 2 years ago he was in the italian 3th division, now he's playing well in first division and NT !

Matteo Soragna : very good sg-sf , not so quick but with good 3-pointer, he dunks.

Michele Mian: good sg with a great 3-pointer; very good defender.

Fabio di Bella: what a uncredible young ... 4 years ago he was playing in the italian 6th division (!!!!) and now he's the first pg of Biella ! very quick, good assist-man and shooter.

Carlton Myers: sg, simply the "italian Jordan" , one of the greatest italian players of ever; dunker, 3-pointer, very quick and with wonderful jump-shot; he has still the italian record of 87 points in a game.
His presence at Athen is still uncertain

FORWARD

Giacomo Galanda : pf-c , the captain is best italian power forward; good rebounder and excellent 3-shooter, he dunks.

Luca Garri : the 1982 guy is the great promise of the italian PFs ; very good rebounder, good dunker and good 3-shooter.

Alessandro De Pol : sf-pf , very good rebounder, good 3-pointer, quite quick.

Alessandro Tonolli : see De Pol.

Alex Righetti: sf , not so quick, but he can go under the backboard and ,above all, he has a great 3-pointer.

CENTERS

Denis Marconato: the best italian center, a real "wardrobe" in defense and good in attack with dunks and mid-range shoot; very good rebounder.

Roberto Chiacig: another very good center, but not so excellent like Marconato.

Alessandro Cittadini: good pf-c , good rebounder and presence in the paint, he must still rise ( 1982)

-------------------

F.ucka will not play more with NT; he say he's becoming old and he want make room for the youngs.

As I said, there are other players (a.a. youngs) that will be selected only at the end of the season.
Those are i.e. guard Marco Belinelli and sf Stefano Mancinelli and Simone Cotani (all great dunkers, above all Mancinelli and Cotani )

Mancinelli gos to dunk

Great post...Anyoway I think Myers won't be selected... because he refused to go in the National team for the european throphy..
Then Cittadini is born in 1979 not 1982..

I think Mancio Mancinelli and Belinelli are the future of our basketball and they have a chance to be in the Nba someday...
Belinelli is still a kid(born 1986), but can already play some good minutes in euroleague and italian league.. UNBELIEVABLE! He is a superathlete.. but he is still skinny.. I don't think he is ready for the national team... but in 2-3 years could be our young leader..
mancio is another athlete.. taller(6-8) and maybe even more explosive.. He needs a sure shot to be a great player.. but at 20 he can improve a lot... On defense he is already very good... Has a chance to be already on the team...

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by <b>MagnusPinus</b>!

Great post...Anyoway I think Myers won't be selected... because he refused to go in the National team for the european throphy..
Then Cittadini is born in 1979 not 1982..
Ops, right ... Cittadini is born in 1979, not 1982 ;)

About Myers: the situation is a bit too long to explain to the americans :grinning:
As you know his non-partecipation at Athen 2004 isn't so sure.

Ciao !

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And I missed 2 important player (they missed the last games and the european championship due injuries)

Andrea Meneghin -> G, son of the italian '70s-'80s superstar (and hall of famer) Dino Meneghin; another one witha bit "hot-head" :D

Alessandro Abbio -> G , very good 3 shooter.

As I said, there are some other player that will selected at the end of the 2003-2004 season.

For me one of the best actually is Agostino Li Vecchi ( SF, 1970): he's playing very well with Messina and if he plays so till to the end of the season, he deserve to be in the NT.
What do you think, Magnus ?

Gretz

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Where did you find this news btw?

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
With all the respect for the Italian and German team, I think USA Basketball has chosen not to lose again in pre-season, because they had offers from better teams, and they refused. Spain made the best offer (750.000$) but it's a team that could be 'dangerous' for the 'Dream Team'

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
Originally posted by <b>AMR</b>!
With all the respect for the Italian and German team, I think USA Basketball has chosen not to lose again in pre-season, because they had offers from better teams, and they refused. Spain made the best offer (750.000$) but it's a team that could be 'dangerous' for the 'Dream Team'
It's realistically just a warmup for team USA. They need time to play together. Yugoslavia is the team I'm worried about.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Don't forget Germany beat Spain at the Worlds '02 in Indianapolis. Just because Nowitzki didn't play to his potential due to an injury at the last Europeans doesn't mean Germany is no top-team anymore.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Originally posted by <b>bender</b>!

Don't forget Germany beat Spain at the Worlds '02 in Indianapolis. Just because Nowitzki didn't play to his potential due to an injury at the last Europeans doesn't mean Germany is no top-team anymore.
But Spain hadn't Raul Lopez or Dueñas... and this summer they'll be in the team... Germany is a great team, that can win Spain, but Spain won the US, and in the last 2 games, Spain has won against Serbia...but a game or 2 don't count... with a team of R.Lopez/Navarro/Jimenez/Gasol/F.Reyes or Dueñas, Spain will be in the same fight as Serbia, Argentina or Lithuania

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Originally posted by <b>italianBBlover</b>!
Sorry guys but Italy arrived 3th at the european championship 4 months ago, and we lost the spot for the final only of 2 points with Spain :rolleyes:
And we were without Meneghin, Abbio and Myers :angel:
we were without Raúl Lopez, I repeat, a NBA PG, Raúl Lopez, and Dueñas...and with Felipe Reyes playing injured... and with a bad coach :D

plus we won the european championsip 4 years ago, as you can see :grinning:
Fuçka and Myers were the stars of that team.. one from Slovenia and the other from England... who'll be the next Italian star... Kobe 'the Roman' ??? :D I think we should call Wally Z for playing with Spain :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
we were without Raúl Lopez, I repeat, a NBA PG, Raúl Lopez, and Dueñas...and with Felipe Reyes playing injured... and with a bad coach :D

Fuçka and Myers were the stars of that team.. one from Slovenia and the other from England... who'll be the next Italian star... Kobe 'the Roman' ??? :D I think we should call Wally Z for playing with Spain :rolleyes:
One moment ...
F.ucka raised in Trieste ( even he speaks not official italian, but the Trieste's italian :D ) since he was kid and his basketball career is 95% italian (he played with the italian youth NT still at 16 or 17 )

Myers : his mother is italian and he came in Italy at 3 , then raised in Rimini.
He's italian at all, only the skin show other.

They are a lot less "foreigners" than Okulaja, Pesic, Turkcan, McDonald, or the black frenchs :rolleyes: ;)

Gretz

·
Registered
168 Posts
actually the USA are playing Serbia in Serbia this summer before the olympics.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts