Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The facts:
- UConn was a 5 seed last year that lost 10 games.
- It's resume this year has not been overly impressive.

Yet everybody has annointed them as a great team even after early season struggles. Now it has struggled against Providence (at home) and BC.

UConn is merely a good team.

The media has undeservedly turned them into a paper champion. And they still are.

Discuss.

MODS - Since UConn is considered one of the best in the country, I think this is a national thread. Please keep it here. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,590 Posts
I think they're an elite team that looks better on paper than they are...I mean they've got 3 lottery picks on their team and a great coach, so I think they'll do pretty well in the tourney this year..

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I say elite, I don't mean top 10. I mean top 3 teams in America - people still seem to assume UConn is one of these teams despite the fact that their performance has not been up to par.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Ben Gordon has been terrible in all of their losses so he's probably the culprit of the problems right now. He's been in a bad slump, but they will heat up and start dominating eventually. They're too talented not to.

·
Registered
443 Posts
They haven't played up the level that they can. I think the development of Villanueva and Boone will help them. They still don't have that rock steady PG. With Okafor in the middle though I'll take them against most anyone. At a neutral court, the only team I might take over them is Duke at the moment.

·
Registered
700 Posts
hi

They have mirrored last season this year. They were inconsistent last year and have played inconsistent this year. Last year they made it to the Great 8 and should have beat Texas. They beat national champions Syracuse 2X fairly easily in both games they play.

Great players step up when the games really count. Will they do the same this year as they did last? If they do, they will make it to the final four. This team has the core back with another year of experience plus a group of freshman making contributions to the team.

Are they an elite team now? Maybe...maybe not. We shall see tonite which team shows up against Syracuse...a game they should have lots of motivation to dominate....but it will be interesting as UCONN has struggle somewhat against the zone.

·
Registered
10,839 Posts
Paper Champs or not they are looking elite against Cuse right now.
SYR 41
CONN 63

Under 12 minutes left in the 2nd.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts