Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Rip City
21,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
First of all.

I picked Lawler to beat Rory MacDonald. And he did. MacDonald has way to much hype in my book. And Lawler took the fight to him and nearly finished him.

And I'm as big of a GSP fan out there. However Hendricks won that fight. Also it sucks to hear that GSP might be retiring. I would really like to see GSP vs Hendricks II

·
Rip City
21,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damn did nobody else watch this fight card ? it was the 20th anniversary for the UFC. Great night of fights.

·
Registered
16,561 Posts
Not a great fight night, but I enjoyed the last three fights. Seeing Koscheck get KO'd and probably fired was nice. I was pulling for Chael against Evans, but I knew it was a bad matchup for him and that he had no chance. I was surprised at his lack of defense on the ground. You think kicking your legs from back mount is really going to do anything to stop strikes? Ugh.

As for Hendricks-GSP, it was really, really close, probably closer than Jones-Gustafsson. Personally, I had it 48-47 Hendricks with rounds 1, 2, and 4. I thought GSP decisively won only round 3, and round 5 only by his takedowns. Round 1 ended up deciding everything, as they both had a takedown and Hendricks only edged GSP in the striking. Still, I'm not too let down because I'd rather a champion not lose his belt by split or arguable decision. I hope GSP doesn't retire because he's still relatively young and I'd like to see a rematch.

·
Rip City
21,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not a great fight night, but I enjoyed the last three fights. Seeing Koscheck get KO'd and probably fired was nice. I was pulling for Chael against Evans, but I knew it was a bad matchup for him and that he had no chance. I was surprised at his lack of defense on the ground. You think kicking your legs from back mount is really going to do anything to stop strikes? Ugh.

As for Hendricks-GSP, it was really, really close, probably closer than Jones-Gustafsson. Personally, I had it 48-47 Hendricks with rounds 1, 2, and 4. I thought GSP decisively won only round 3, and round 5 only by his takedowns. Round 1 ended up deciding everything, as they both had a takedown and Hendricks only edged GSP in the striking. Still, I'm not too let down because I'd rather a champion not lose his belt by split or arguable decision. I hope GSP doesn't retire because he's still relatively young and I'd like to see a rematch.
Not a fan of the Lawler vs MacDonald fight ? All the fights were good match ups. Granted some guys got their ass handed to them, but you have to give credit to the other fighter. Only thing that tainted this event, was the fact that Hendricks got shafted by these piss poor judges.

·
Rip City
21,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Was posting in the 166 thread, but yeah Hendricks won that fight.
Gotcha, yeah Hendricks definitely won that fight. However the damn point system is a joke, the judges have been notoriously bad in MMA. Anyone with eye sight can see that one man was the dominant fighter for most of the fight and caused the most damage. Hence him being the rightful winner.

·
Banned
15,209 Posts
Surprised lawler beat Macdonald, surprised Chael was taken out so easily, Surprised Woodley won so easily and I was surprised Hendricks gave GSP such a good fight. All 3 judges btw had Rounds 2-5 the same. 2 for Hendricks 3 for GSP 4 for Hendricks and 5 for GSP. 2 judes gave GSP the first and 1 gave Hendricks the first. I agree with the scoring and I agree GSP won. If we judged fights by damage than GSP and Jon Jones wouldn't be champions right now

·
Banned
15,209 Posts
And the way Dana was talking about GSP owing the UFC and Hendricks a rematch is bullshit. GSP has been as good of a company man as you can ask for and deserves as much time off as he likes, if he wants over a year than make an interim belt. And for you that don't know what his "problems" are, he stated after the fight that he hasn't been able too sleep for over a year and that his brain isn't right. So for Dana bashing a ****ing guy that doesn't want too fight because he may have brain damage is bullshit. Dana is cool and all and I like that he speaks his mind but sometimes he comes off as an ass clown

·
And Justise For All
64,271 Posts
Only caught some of the prelims, and was out cold early last night but caught up on the card. I had it 1, 3 & 5 for GSP, 2 & 4 for Hendricks. I was bummed Chael lost, but I do like Rashad so I'm not too upset. I didn't expect a Chael win when the UFC had already announced he would face Wandy a few weeks back. That had to distract him a bit.

Happy Kos lost, because I can't stand him, and it's a validation for Woodley, who I felt was screwed against Shields a few months back.

Also, I'm happy to see Cowboy back in the W column. He's up there as one of my favorites.

·
And Justise For All
64,271 Posts
As for the GSP/Hendricks II talk, I understand why. But like Goat said, if Georges really is having issues (ALIENS!) then yes, he needs time off to get his shit together.

Give us Hendricks/Condit II for an interim belt. Hell, IMO, Carlos beat Johny first time around.

·
Banned
15,209 Posts
Carlos/Johnny in a five round 5 I have Carlos winning. The last one was too close to call and I thought Carlos woulda won the later rounds

·
Banned
15,209 Posts
And i'm not a big GSP fan at all actually the total opposite, but if someone is worried about their health especially in a sport like this than I respect their every move. Dana didn't seem concerned at all about GSP after the fight just about being a greedy **** and 10 minutes after the fight trying to make a rematch. "O George your having problems, too ****ing bad you owe it too the sport and the belt and the yada yada yada. What a scum bag

·
Registered
16,561 Posts
Not a fan of the Lawler vs MacDonald fight ? All the fights were good match ups. Granted some guys got their ass handed to them, but you have to give credit to the other fighter. Only thing that tainted this event, was the fact that Hendricks got shafted by these piss poor judges.
Oh, I definitely enjoyed seeing Rory get lit up and it's great to see a vet like Lawler finally moving up. MacDonald just hasn't impressed me at all. He has zero movement whatsoever. I really hope Lawler gets matched up with the loser of Brown-Condit because that would be a sweet fight.

And my final note on Hendricks-GSP: Looks like what won GSP the fight was that guillotine attempt in round 1. They both had an equal number of takedowns and nearly equal strikes landed, and one submission attempt was really the only difference between the two.

·
Rip City
21,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Carlos Condit has to beat Matt Brown. And that won't be an easy test. In fact don't be surprised at all if Matt Brown wins.

And I'm sorry, but I don't give a shit what these judges score cards look like. They've been notoriously bad from Boxing to MMA. And Hendricks beat the shit out of GSP. You don't get marked up like that because you're winning a fight.

GSP lost on style points, he lost on strikes, and he lost in a good old fashion ass kicking.

Fight Metric has GSP landing more significant strikes, and Hendricks landing more total strikes.

Only problem with fight metric it does not take into account damage of the opponent with its configuration of strikes. Which is asinine to say the least.

http://blog.fightmetric.com/2013/11/st-pierre-vs-hendricks-official-ufc.html

Also GSP does not get marked up easily. I've watched all of Georges fights, and the only other time he was even remotely this marked up was in his fight against Condit.

Hendricks didn't have a scratch on his face, and not a single thing wrong with him. It was quite obvious who won that fight when it was over.

·
And Justise For All
64,271 Posts
"His problems aren't as bad as he thinks they are," White told the press after his brief chat with the champ. "They're personal problems...it might seem like the end of the world but it's not."

.........wow.

You would think with what happened to Dos Santos recently that GSP saying this might spark a little concern-for the well being of the fighters-with Dana and not what's best for business.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts