Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
118,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

UFC featherweight champion Conor McGregor will not fight Nate Diaz at UFC 200 on July 9 in Las Vegas. Whether he will fight again period remains a question.

UFC president Dana White announced Tuesday night on SportsCenter that the promotion has pulled McGregor from the main event at UFC 200, due to the Irishman's unwillingness to fly to Las Vegas and participate in mandatory promotional activities.

The news came hours after McGregor sent the MMA world into chaos by tweeting that he has decided to retire young.

ESPN has attempted to contact McGregor and members of his camp, but no one was available for immediate comment.

White, meanwhile, said he had been in communication with McGregor's management throughout Tuesday. He said he could not speak on McGregor's future, other than his status at UFC 200.

"We pulled Conor McGregor from UFC 200 and we're working on other fights right now," White said. "Conor did not want to come to Las Vegas and film the commercial and be a part of the marketing. He's in Iceland training.

"Is Conor retiring? Only he can answer that question. I don't know."

White went on to say the UFC still has a "good relationship" with McGregor (19-3) and that he "respects Conor as a fighter" but added that promotional obligations are mandatory.
http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/15272422/conor-mcgregor-tweets-decided-retire-young

What the hell?

·
Super Moderator
21,879 Posts
Re: So Conor McGregor was pulled from UFC 200 & has apparently retired...

I hear it's about money. Conor and Nate wanted a bigger piece of the pie and the UFC didn't want to pay that price. No clue if what they wanted was reasonable or not, but that's what I hear. Nate also tweeted he would retire too, but he hasn't gotten to cash in like Conor yet.

It is also worth noting that Conor did attend, sat ringside actually, at a fight about a week ago where the guy died 48 hours after the fight from brain trauma. He's young, healthy as he'll ever be, and very wealthy. Hard to imagine him not fighting again, but crazier things have happened.

·
I want Waffles.
19,935 Posts
Re: So Conor McGregor was pulled from UFC 200 & has apparently retired...

There is rumors the WWE offered him a huge amount of money.

Be interesting to see what unfolded with this story

·
Premium Member
118,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am just trying to do my job and fight here.
I am paid to fight. I am not yet paid to promote.
I have become lost in the game of promotion and forgot about the art of fighting.
There comes a time when you need to stop handing out flyers and get back to the damn shop.
50 world tours, 200 press conferences, 1 million interviews, 2 million photo shoots, and at the end of it all I'm left looking down the barrel of a lens, staring defeat in the face, thinking of nothing but my incorrect fight preparation. And the many distractions that led to this.
Nothing else was going through my mind.
It is time to go back and live the life that got me this life.
Sitting in a car on the way to some dump in Conneticut or somewhere, to speak to Tim and Suzie on the nobody gives a fuck morning show did not get me this life.
Talking to some lady that deep down doesn't give a fuck about what I'm doing, but just wants some sound bites so she can maybe get her little tight ass a nice raise, and I'm cool with that too, I've been giving you all raises. But I need to focus on me now.
I'm coming for my revenge here.
I flew an entire team to Portugal and to Iceland to make my adjustments in preparation and fix my errors I made with the weight and the cardio prep.
With the right adjustments and the right focus, I will finish what I started in that last fight.
I will not do this if I am back on the road handing out flyers again.
I will always play the game and play it better than anybody, but just for this one, where I am coming off a loss, I asked for some leeway where I can just train and focus. I did not shut down all media requests. I simply wanted a slight adjustment.
But it was denied.
There had been 10 million dollars allocated for the promotion of this event is what they told me.
So as a gesture of good will, I went and not only saved that 10 million dollars in promotion money, I then went and tripled it for them.
And all with one tweet.
Keep that 10 mill to promote the other bums that need it. My shows are good.
I must isolate myself now.
I am facing a taller, longer and heavier man. I need to prepare correctly this time.
I can not dance for you this time.
It is time for the other monkeys to dance. I've danced us all the way here.
Nate's little mush head looks good up on that stage these days. Stuff him in front of the camera for it.
He came in with no shit to do that last one. I'd already done press conferences, interviews and shot the ads before RDA pulled out.
Maybe I'll hit Cabo this time and skull some shots pre-fight with no obligation.
I'm doing what I need for me now.
It is time to be selfish with my training again. It is the only way.
I feel the $400million I have generated for the company in my last three events, all inside 8 months, is enough to get me this slight leeway.
I am still ready to go for UFC 200.
I will offer, like I already did, to fly to New York for the big press conference that was scheduled, and then I will go back into training. With no distractions.
If this is not enough or they feel I have not deserved to sit this promotion run out this one time, well then I don't know what to say.
For the record also -
For USADA and for the UFC and my contract stipulations -
I AM NOT RETIRED.
https://www.facebook.com/thenotoriousmma/posts/1260441947357435

·
And Justise For All
64,271 Posts
Dana holds little to no power in this regard. It's the same reason Ronda is getting an immediate rematch without earning it and why Jones got an instant shot for the interim title: they have no name power and Dana knows it. He can't play hardball with someone like McGregor, because Dana knows he has no leverage.

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
Dana holds little to no power in this regard. It's the same reason Ronda is getting an immediate rematch without earning it and why Jones got an instant shot for the interim title: they have no name power and Dana knows it. He can't play hardball with someone like McGregor, because Dana knows he has no leverage.
While I'm a bit surprised looks like Dana won this one.

I'm going to UFC 200 but even now there are still tix available. It was a huge decision to hold strong and keep McGregor v Diaz off the card.

·
I want Waffles.
19,935 Posts
Since there is no UFC 200 thread i will just use this.

DC is still the worst top UFC fighter ive ever seen.

·
I want Waffles.
19,935 Posts
Both having full Camps i think Silva would have destroyed DC.

DC game plan as always is fall on the guy then lay on him for 3 rounds

·
Super Moderator
21,879 Posts
Since there is no UFC 200 thread i will just use this.

DC is still the worst top UFC fighter ive ever seen.
My bad, I should have made one. I have been watching though.

Nunes just crushed Tate. Not much to say there.

I thought what happened in the DC vs Silva fight was predictable. When they were striking Anderson was better, but when DC took it to the ground and controlled the top he clearly won the fight. Anderson's ground defense was impressive and the spirit he showed is why he's considered by many to be the best pound for pound fighter in MMA history.

Aldo looked very impressive. He looked like he had been seeing red since he regained consciousness after the McGregor KO. I enjoyed how he called out Conor after he won, I would love to see that fight. I do wonder if Conor would want to go back down to 145, but I also assume he'd be game to shed the weight to keep his belt if that's where the money was.

Sage Northcutt on the prelims was mighty impressive, the way he just gutted out that arm bar was a power move.

Lesnar vs Hunt was interesting and Brock looked like he would rule the world if society ever takes a turn for the worse. My goodness that guy is a gorilla. Props to Hunt for taking that fight, and there's no doubt Brock was respecting his one hit power. I actually agree with the decision to not make it the headliner, considering it was only three rounds. I would have made Aldo vs Edgar 2 the headliner personally, but this Womens Bantamweight division has been chaos since Rousey lost and that's entertaining too.

·
I want Waffles.
19,935 Posts
Ya i honestly dont get why Aldo vs. Edgar 2 wasnt the Main Event. I think most bought the PPV for that fight after Bones dropped out

Tate was a joke. It looked like she had no idea what she was doing in there and had no game plan whomever lead her camp against Nunes obviously didnt take Nunes seriously and i would fire his ass that was an embarrassment.

·
Administrator
115,886 Posts
Brock looked like a monster and like his original self health wise. Relentless with the takedowns and the attempts and brutal on ground and pound. Had cardio issues in that 2nd rd after working so hard, and was determined to get Hunt down and batter which he did. Ground and pound city.

But while as he is healthy and still original self, he'd have same problems standing up and striking and anyone who could lockdown or have good takedown D, Ala, Cain, Miocic, Reem, Werdum. They probably still all beat him.

·
I want Waffles.
19,935 Posts
Brock looked like a monster and like his original self health wise. Relentless with the takedowns and the attempts and brutal on ground and pound. Had cardio issues in that 2nd rd after working so hard, and was determined to get Hunt down and batter which he did. Ground and pound city.

But while as he is healthy and still original self, he'd have same problems standing up and striking and anyone who could lockdown or have good takedown D, Ala, Cain, Miocic, Reem, Werdum. They probably still all beat him.
Brock is a monster no doubt. But he is an overrated mess his only strength is takedowns and after that unless he can get on top of them full mount he isnt doing shit. His BJJ is terrible and his striking isnt where it should be for a man of his size

The guy is gonna run into some problem when he faces better opponents.

·
I want Waffles.
19,935 Posts
Brock might have failed a Doping Test

The United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) has informed Brock Lesnar of a potential anti-doping violation stemming from an out-of-competition drug test administered June 28.

Lesnar, 39, returned to the Octagon for the first time since December 2011 to defeat Mark Hunt via decision. The pro wrestling star remains under contract with WWE and declined to say whether he would fight in a UFC match again.

The UFC announced Lesnar's potential violation on Friday. In a statement, the UFC said it was not informed of the potential violation until Thursday which explains why Lesnar was able to compete at UFC 200 on July 9 in Las Vegas.
http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/17085742/brock-lesnar-ufc-notified-potential-anti-doping-violation

·
Super Moderator
21,879 Posts

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
I was there. The event was really lacking pop. I was at UFC 186 for Lawler vs Rory and McGregor vs Mendes and the atmosphere was light years ahead of 200. For the main event of Tate vs Nunes there was really no energy in the building. They were definitely not big enough to carry that event.

Aldo v Edgar was the best MMA fight.

DC vs Silva was to me as expected. It would have been a disaster for Cormier to lose that fight and if he stood with Silva he definitely could have. The stand ups during the fight by McCarthy were terrible even though everyone wanted them. Cormier was literally smashing Silva's face at the time of one of them.

On the under Kelvin Gastelum looked really good and picked Hendricks apart. He's a contender if he keeps himself in shape and keeps working hard.

Side note - also went to 202 presser. Started 45 minutes late because both Diaz and McGregor showed up late. Bad audio. Apparently only McGregor could hear questions. By far the biggest pop of the presser was when Ariel Helwani came on camera to answer a question.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts