Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hmmm - for some reason the mercury news always posts the stuff before the tribune...so here, without delay - hot off the wire - is the lastest OPINE from Sam Smith...uh, oh and it's about eddy!! well not entirely about eddy...you know sam, he has an opinion on everything!!

Uh-oh. Just when it looked so clear to the Bulls what they could do to fix the team, here comes Eddy Curry averaging 24 points in his last four games, all on the road.

mercury news

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Sam Smith</b>!With Gasol, that would give the Bulls a lineup of Gasol, Chandler, Battier, Kirk Hinrich and a shooter to be acquired in free agency or through the draft. The Grizzlies then get Curry to team with the athletic Stromile Swift and Jamal Crawford to insert in the guard rotation. The Bulls could even afford to swap draft picks because they don't want one of the touted high schoolers in the draft and take the Grizzlies' mid-first-round pick for a perimeter shooter.[/B]
Gasol, Battier, and the Griz #1 for Crawford, Curry and our #1.

I like that deal. :yes:

·
The Snake
6,527 Posts
Oh good lord no. I like Gasol, but the swap of picks and Crawford for Battier is definitely shortchanging us. If we wanna deal Curry we need to package him with Crawford, E-Rob to land a Pierce or T-Mac type of player. Nothing short of that will be a bad deal....

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I DONT WANT GASOL

:twocents:

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
Eh, at least the trade suggestion for Gasol is not ridiculous. Trading one potential young star for a young star right now is not so bad, especially when he's a 7 footer. If we did the trade, I'd rather do it without swaping picks. I don't mind keeping our guys though.

At least Sam isn't suggesting trading Eddy for Popeye Jones.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Gasol would bolt Chicago at the very first opportunity. Im not a Gasol fan, so I hope Pax sticks to Eddy.

Ok, so if Eddy Curry doesnt produce: trade him (Bust!!).
If Eddy produces: trade him (Bust!!).

:upset:

·
Registered
8,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by <b>curry_52</b>!
Gasol would bolt Chicago at the very first opportunity. Im not a Gasol fan, so I hope Pax sticks to Eddy.

Ok, so if Eddy Curry doesnt produce: trade him (Bust!!).
If Eddy produces: trade him (Bust!!).

:upset:
which is why i have learned to take sam smith with a grain of salt. no, make that a big pile of salt.

:laugh: :|

i hope pax sticks with eddy too.

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
Apparently Sam Smith doesn't know that the Grizzlies traded their first-round draft pick to Portland for Bonzi Wells. That was one of the biggest trades to take place in the NBA this season, and he doesn't even know that it happened. Truly pathetic.

This guy's job is to write articles that help people understand the NBA, and he understands less about the NBA than 95 percent of the posters on this website. He needs to be fired, if not prosecuted, for writing such crap.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Oh this is just great news!!!

If Smith proposes a trade, that means there is absolutely no chance of it ever happening.

Smith is so clueless and ill-informed it's crazy he still has a column. He hasn't had a real clue since MJ left town and his "connections" dried up.

Now every story either disses the Bulls, thier players, thier fans, or comes up with some whimsical trade idea that has no actual chance of happening in this or any other reality.

Maybe someday the Trib will get a clue (not likely) and fire him.

Until then just ignore and turn the page....

·
Registered
892 Posts
Well, I suppose if you believe that Curry will one day evolve into a top tier player with a well rounded game (points, boards and defense), then you may not do this deal.

However, Gasol's averaging 18 points and 9 boards for his career while shooting over 50%. Sounds like a statistical wash to me. Now consider the addition of a court savy, solid defender at the swing position like Battier who also happens to be a carreer 45%/37% shooter.

The thought of trotting out a starting lineup with three defensive stalwarts in Hinrich, Battier and Chandler, and a consistent point producer who nearly averages a double/double in Gasol is enticing. Add a free agent SG like Wes Person or maybe even Ron Mercer and we've got the makings of a pretty solid group of players. I don't know if I give up the draft pick though. I don't even know if it would be necessary. West has stated in the past that he's not particularly interested in developing draft picks.

Hypothetically speaking this is not a trade you can dismiss out of hand.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Originally posted by <b>C Blizzy</b>!
Well, I suppose if you believe that Curry will one day evolve into a top tier player with a well rounded game (points, boards and defense), then you may not do this deal.

However, Gasol's averaging 18 points and 9 boards for his career while shooting over 50%. Sounds like a statistical wash to me. Now consider the addition of a court savy, solid defender at the swing position like Battier who also happens to be a carreer 45%/37% shooter.

The thought of trotting out a starting lineup with three defensive stalwarts in Hinrich, Battier and Chandler, and a consistent point producer who nearly averages a double/double in Gasol is enticing. Add a free agent SG like Wes Person or maybe even Ron Mercer and we've got the makings of a pretty solid group of players. I don't know if I give up the draft pick though. I don't even know if it would be necessary. West has stated in the past that he's not particularly interested in developing draft picks.

Hypothetically speaking this is not a trade you can dismiss out of hand.
You don't think it sounds pretty mediocre?

That sounds a lot like a team that's not anywhere close to as good as Memphis and doesn't have a lot in the way of offensive upside.

1st, Gasol is enticing, but giving up Curry + Crawford for him and Battier doesn't sound like much of a real improvement to me.

I absolutely love Battier, but let's be realistic about what he is. If we swapped him for Crawford at this point, we'd be committing to having three guys on the court who are basically ancillary offensive options (Battier, Kirk, Chandler). We will scare nobody. We'll scare even fewer people if we bring back Ron Mercer as our two guard. Couple that with the fact that this draft is big man heavy, and I don't see much option for filling in this hole. Especially if we swapped our pick, which is the icing on the cake for making it a crappy deal.

Defensively, we'll have two good defenders on the outside and two shotblockers, if not good man on defenders on the block. But have mercy- every team with someone over 250lbs will push us around like the school yard bully.

I'm not trying to be negative for the sake of it, but I think we're getting back two guys who would help superficially but leave us fundamentally weaker (in terms of team structure, not "basketball fundamentals").

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
I would not want to swith picks. I wonder why Smith even brought that up.

I would prefer to keep Curry, but if Battier and Gasol is in package, we do have to listen. This type of trade would not be done now. Memphis is in playoff hunt.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Originally posted by <b>truebluefan</b>!
I would not want to swith picks. I wonder why Smith even brought that up.

I would prefer to keep Curry, but if Battier and Gasol is in package, we do have to listen. This type of trade would not be done now. Memphis is in playoff hunt.
I'd probably do Curry for Battier+Gasol.

But Curry+Crawford for Battier+Gasol?

How are we not treading water in that deal?

And I'm not going to base any argument for trading Crawford on the idea that we're going to let him walk this summer because there is no need and no reason to let him walk.

Give us Gasol plus Battier or Posey and couple them with Crawford and then we're tangibly better. But trading off two good players for one slightly better player and one slightly worse player doesn't seem like much of an upgrade to me.

·
Administrator 12/02--7/07
36,839 Posts
More evidence that Sam Smith is an idiot:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/bulls/cst-spt-bull092.html

Reapplying the ''untouchable'' label to Curry is one way of management letting Curry know he's still considered a major part of the franchise's future.

''We're all supporting Eddy,'' Paxson said. ''You have to give some tough love sometimes, but when he gets in shape, his athleticism and skill level shine.

''I'm very pleased with the way he's playing. I think Scott [Skiles has] been real good for him in that regard.''

We have a thread for this article, but it seems to fit in this discussion insofar as it shows Sam is talking out of his ***, since PAxson is on record sayinf Eddy is going to stay.

·
Registered
8,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Originally posted by <b>TomBoerwinkle#1</b>!
More evidence that Sam Smith is an idiot:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/bulls/cst-spt-bull092.html

We have a thread for this article, but it seems to fit in this discussion insofar as it shows Sam is talking out of his ***, since PAxson is on record sayinf Eddy is going to stay.
oh absolutely - and great place for this link as well.

;)

it cracks mizenkay up that sam would say this only to have paxson "dispute" it in two other articles. mizenkay, like kendall gill, isn't going to detroit either.

LOL.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Mikedc</b>!
You don't think it sounds pretty mediocre?

That sounds a lot like a team that's not anywhere close to as good as Memphis and doesn't have a lot in the way of offensive upside.
Hinrich, Chandler, Battier and Gasol.

That team is much better defensively that the one we have today. Unless we are really projecting Curry to get much, much better on D and rebounding, it will always play better D.

Hinrich and Chandler have a good deal of offensive upside.

It also takes any RFAs out of the equation. Battier for Crawford is a talent downgrade but it is sure a lot better than losing Crawford b/c someone is willing to pay Craw more than Paxson is.

·
Welcome to the Grindhouse!
19,803 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Mikedc</b>!

I'd probably do Curry for Battier+Gasol.

But Curry+Crawford for Battier+Gasol?

How are we not treading water in that deal?
Hmm...let me see:

14-37 in the East vs. 29-22 in the West....

and people who think Crawford has more value to a basketball team then Battier either (a) play to much fantasy basketball or (b) are more concerned with upside than actual performance.

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
Don't forget Smith also proposed a Curry for Diop and a Chandler for Kwame deal before too. Interesting that now Curry is worth a Gasol when before he was worth a Diop.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.