Registered
7,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Starting UK line-up

'X' Factor

Starting Vanderbilt line-up

Primary Target

Pre-Game Notes

UK beat Vandy in Rupp Arena earlier in the season 75-63. Matt Freije is the preseason SEC MVP and Vandy has been playing very well at home. Recently, they got beat by a very good Mississippi State team in Memorial, but this will still be a huge game for both UK and Vandy. Last time UK came into Memorial, they found themselves on the bad end of momentum at half-time. They came out of the locker rooms and exploded to one of the most memorable seasons in UK history.

Keys to the Game

Vandy's bench will be a huge factor in this game. UK's bench is slowly developing and should prove to be solid if Barbour can have a repeat performance in UK's most recent win over Ole Miss. Memorial is a tough place to play, but UK is an excellent road team. Last time, UK did a good job of holding Matt Freije in check, but the other team showed that they deserve some attention too, and then it was only a matter of time until Freije broke out. If UK can do this again, we could see another UK win.

Check back after the game for post-game quotes, pictures, interviews, and more.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Im from Nashville and i'll be enjoying shutting up the memorial maniacs again this year. It was great last year..... The section where we were sitting there were a bunch of older Vandy fans. When UofK had the monster second half, these two 60 year old Vandy fans beside me were cursing and screaming at the top of their lungs for the entire half. I laughed and smiled....... ahhhhhhh Good times, good memories.

Anyone else gonna be at the game??

·
Registered
582 Posts
I won't get to see a live game until the SEC tourney this year.

Hopefully our bench will contribute enough so that our starters will have some gas left at the end of the game. Also, it seems that UK is playing better on the road than they are at home this year (both losses are at home). Buike always seems to have big games against Vandy so we may see another monster dunk or a shooting clinic from him.

UK by 10.

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good first half for Vandy, mediocre half for UK. Lukasz has 4 points, 2 of those on an offensive put-back dunk, the other 2 coming on free throws. He also has a block and some rebounds, as well as doing a good defensive job on Dawid Pswbjfjklghfldfgh, who let the 3-pointers rain upon UK. Barbour was in for about 4 seconds. Don't know why. He didn't even get a chance to do something bad or good. Azubuike is starting to show the selfishness Tubby wanted. Azubuike has 10 points at the half, I believe. Chuck Hayes has NOT been a factor at all. Erik Daniels has, however, including a furious one-handed offensive put-back dunk. Vandy leads 40-35 at the half, but we all know what happened last time UK was down at the half to Vandy in Memorial...

:gopray:

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hate losing games we shouldn't lose. Jacking up 4 3's with a 10 point lead? Hawkins being an idiot and trying to make a lazy pass to lose the game for UK? Chuck Hayes giving it down-low instead of taking a 3? What the hell? GREAT game Cats. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
582 Posts
I think both teams were playing very well, especially in spurts, until the last 5 minutes of the game. Then it was pretty much Vandy scoring and KY not. Not sure why Barbour did not get more minutes, like you said, no time to even tell if he was on or off today!

Not sure what was wrong with Buike from about 6 inches today. If he had made HALF of the easy layups that he missed then we would have won this game. Hawk throwing the ball away 2 trips in a row when we could have tied it sure did piss me off as well. Oh well, Vandy deserved it with the way they outperformed the Cats today.

·
Registered
132 Posts
It was a very exciting game...mainly to me, as a Vandy fan..how Vandy responded. Granted...Kentucky did take some suspect shots with a 10 point lead..but hey..that's also cause VU was starting to fill up the inside.

I know a lot of the KY fans didn't understand the celebration..at least most of them around me didn't..but it was because of a couple of things.

First, it's not every year that Vandy wins over Kentucky. Heck, it's not every year that anybody beats Kentucky in the SEC. It's nice that this was the 2nd VU win in 3 years at Memorial, after that losing streak..but this one was a little more rewarding because that one in 2002 was to team turmoil..and this KY team, though not as deep..is at least more disciplined than they were, so responding to their run in the second half made it so rewarding.

Second, VU needed this win, after that tough loss to South Carolina.

And third, the way they responded to Kentucky getting a 10 point lead. That's something the VU fans have been waiting for..for what seems like years. The last couple of years, this team has seemed to be fragile when teams have gone for that knock out punch...but this time, not only did the avoid the punch...they seemed to sneak in a left hook of their own with that run at the end.

I thought it was a great game..and another classic VU/UK atmosphere at Memorial. Every year is like that in Nashville, because VU always wants to beat Kentucky..and Kentucky has such great support here as well.

Now, Kentucky, beat those stinking Gators tuesday. Destroy them...cause I want a win in Gainesville saturday.

And yes, as usual, most of the Kentucky fans were nice and respectful..both when they were winning and in the end.

Great atmosphere.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts