Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
UK/Ole Miss tonight...

Just hours away and I am getting pumped!

Hopefully we will see a 15 point UK win but I have a feeling this one may be as close as all the others have been.

It will be interesting to see how Daniels and Hayes play against smaller quicker players (more like themselves) instead of the bigger guys they are used to banging with. Hopefully there will not be foul trouble.

Anyway, I am going to go with UK by 12.

Tubby should be in a good mood (RECRUITS!) and hopefully it will rub off on the team.

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
So much for Ole Miss trying to slow the tempo. Despite that, they're playing very well. Josh Carrier has a 3, Fitch has a 3, Azubuike (I think) has a 3, and Barbour has two 3's. :whofarted

Chuck Hayes has been a monster on defense by guarding Justin Reed, and the same can be said for Justin Reed guarding Chuck. Chuck has about 657894165 blocks at the half, and Azubuike has 1 (great defensive play). Cliff Hawkins has been harassing both of Ole Miss's point guards. UK isn't playing awful, and neither is Ole Miss. Good game so far. Tied at 29 at the half.

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
Oh my...

Barbour has another 3 and causes a turnover on defense. Who is this guy? He certainly isn't the Barbour I'm used to watching. Tubby needs to keep running the back-door screen for Barbour. Every time he cuts baseline and Hayes or Daniels sets a pick for him, Barbour is wide-open on the opposite wing and hits the 3. Maybe Tubby should run it for Carrier too.

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
Just 2 examples of the awful officiating in the SEC, from 2 different team perspectives:

First, a bad call on Ole Miss that went in UK's favor; Cliff Hawkins hassles the Ole Miss PG and tips the ball twice and it goes across the court. Ole Miss never had possesion of it after Hawkins tipped it twice, and they call over-and-back on Ole Miss. Awful call.

Next up is where Hawkins got hacked on the face and across the chest and went hard to the ground, somehow made the shot, but no foul called. :nonono:

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
UK: 71
Ole Miss: 61

Erik Daniels: 24 points
Antwain Barbour: 12 points (4 of 5 from 3 point range)
Chuck Hayes: 5 blocks

*Erik Daniels' points were in the 20's, I'm not sure if 24 is exactly what he had.

I want MVP of the game to go to Antwain Barbour simply because this could've been his break-out game. 4 of 5 from thee-point range and impressive defense that forced quite a few turnovers. Keep it up Barbour. Why didn't Cote get any PT? If Barbour continues this kind of play, if Cote gets some PT and continues to play well, if Carrier keeps playing well, and if Lukasz can provide some minutes every now and then, UK may have just found their bench. Way to go Cats!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Let me echo what you said about Barbour... THIS is the guy that we heard about all summer and before last year... I am not sure who the guy wearing 33 has been up until tonight, but if this new guy will stick around then the cats will be MEAN!

Ole Miss was shooting and MAKING some crazy shots! They were really lighting it up from deep - didn't seem to matter if they had someone in their face either.

I have to agree with you on both Hawkins calls you mentioned - Hawk CLEARLY tipped the ball away and then slapped it again before it went in the back court. Also was fouled pretty hard on that circus shot he made.

The refs were inconsistent between the halves tonight - that seemed to cause some confusion for both teams in the second half. Stuff that was being allowed in the first half was being whistled in the second.

If this team can just develop a killer instinct then they can make a deep run in the tourney this year.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
By the way, did Daniels have one heck of a game or what? That boy has the quickest release I have ever seen... and MADE his free throws which was huge.

Also, anyone think that Chuck may be recruited by a football team after that touchdown pass he threw the length of the court to Daniels at the end of the game?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Ole Miss has played a LOT better as of late. In their last 4 games they've beaten LSU, Alabama and South Carolina at home by double-didgets and go on the road and play UK very well. We can't take them lightly Saturday. This might not be the best time for a week off...:uhoh:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.