Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't seen the final stats, but Maine must have had 8 or 9 steals. Defense has remained a constant in the four UMaine AE games I've seen (UHart, Stony, UVM, UNH) and created lots of problems for UNH. Seemed like UNH had many more turnovers.

UNH came back from 13, 14 down to get it close at half and cut it to one a couple times in the second half.

Dobson had solid game at point for Black Bears. UNH had trouble keeping him out of the lane. Reed was good, not forcing things with opposing defenses concentrating on him.

Sturgill was back for UNH and logged a lot of minutes. Played well. Was limping when he left the game. He seemed to really be 'Cats only scoring threat. Walls hit a few nice shots, but then it seemed like he disappeared for long stretches.

Maine used freshman Olli Ahviennimi (sp?) in the big man rotation with Flavin and Dubois. and he had some moments on offense and defense. Joe Campbell did some solid boardwork and hit a big three when Black Bears were pulling away late.

A very solid, road win produced by good defense and shot selection.

Iannis Karalis didn't play for UNH. What's going on with him, Will? He's not the best defender, but he can hit some 3s.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
First off, Ben Sturgill was a beast down low for UNH. Had a great game despite being out of shape. 19 points on 9-11 FG. Craig Walls had his usual solid game with 12 points and 9 rebounds.

Everything else was negative for UNH. I am very pessimistic about the team. The guard/wing play has been very bad almost all season and the coaching of late has been equally horrendous. Rowe keeps substituting guards in and out every minute or two and no one ever gets into any type of rhthym. Tonight, the guys didn't box out and they didn't play aggressively enough on the offensive end. Very little intensity or enthuisiasm besides 2 or 3 guys. The defense was very bad throughout the whole first half and stretches on the second half. I hate to say it, but besides needing better guards UNH also needs a new coach. A change definitely needs to be made. It's a shame because they have two post players in Sturgill and Walls they have all-conference talent and they are still 0-5 in the conference. Most of the players seem pretty apathetic out there if you ask me.

Karalis has been in the doghouse pretty much the whole season. He can't create his own shot. If we had a good point guard and small forward next to him he could be effective hitting open shots but he just doesn't get them with this lineup. He has also made some dumb mistakes when he's played this year.

Maine looked pretty good. Everyone on their team can shoot and that is always a good thing. Dobson was impressive as usual. Flavin was better than expected.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Why won't Rowe let Childs play 30+ minutes every night? The kid is solid! Roland Williams stinks and so does Ronny Dennis. Bullock is not a pg! Rowe also must love Griffin Walker who cannot score at all. Let's face it, Maine isn't that good!!! UNH should be able to play them down to the wire!

Walls is okay and Sturgill is pretty good!

If I am Rowe I ship Koralis and Janev home!!!!!!

·
Registered
8,942 Posts
Maine is a decent team (by AE standards).....They play in control and have a pretty balanced team, and probably the #2 defense in the league. After Boston U and Vermont, anyone can beat anyone in this league.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Take it easy, Will. Like I said, I hadn't even seen the final stats and little did I know that Walls quietly posted his usual numbers (12 and 9) and, in my defense, I did say that Sturgill played well despite it being his first game back. But a beast?

As for Childs: Maybe he doesn't play more because he can't guard anyone and he can't shoot anything other than a layup. I don't know. I've seen him probably 10 times and despite what I read here, I haven't seen anything else. Maybe he's just a stud, like Walker, like Karalis, like Janev ... and the rest of us just don't realize it. We hear the same thing every year, yet UNH wins five, six games a year.

I do agree with you, Will, however on players never getting an opportunity to get something going. When the game was over last night, I couldn't really remember (other than Sturgill and Walls) anything in particular from any one UNH player, especially the guards like you pointed out. I also agree that they do have some decent guys: Walls, Sturgill and, really, I think Karalis has done some good things when put in the right situtations. Now he's not even playing. Last year, he was one of the guns.

Sorry if you think I slighted anyone, but I really did think Sturgill played well. I was also surprised to see that UNH only had 11 turnovers. Didn't it seem like more than that?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I didn't make it last night

but I'm starting to agree with Will regarding this team. I thought the talent level was better than what has shown up on the court for much of the season. We seem to be regressing rather than progressing, and that is usually a reflection on the coaching staff.

It looked like Sturgill didn't miss a beat last night, so that is a good thing, but somebody else has got to step up and put the ball in the basket (besides Walls). It looks like Maine shot lights-out last night, and that was probably the difference, because turnovers and rebounds were pretty even.

- Sigh -

I was hoping for improvement each game from this team - that hasn't happened yet. If it doesn't start happening soon, I'm ready to start questioning the coaching staff. There was an article in one of the Seacoast papers prior to the season where Scarano said that 5-win seasons were not going to be acceptable in Durham. I wonder if Rowe is feeling the heat? Then again, I'm not sure Bobby Knight could come in and win with the complete lack of commitment towards basketball at UNH (okay, I'm overly negative today).

What are everyone's expectations for the Bing game?

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Chet, I wasn't referring to you at all in my post. I didn't say you slighted anyone so I don't know where you got that.

Sturgill pretty much scored at will when he was in there. 9-11 FG, although he didn't rebound well. I thought he had a very good game considering he hasn't played in almost 6 weeks. He always plays with intensity. I wish we had more guys like him.

And I can't remember me or any other UNH fans ever saying that Walker or Karalis were studs or that he were a great team. We are realistic, we thought we'd show solid improvement but no one had big expectations. Childs had some very good games last year, I think he had three 20 point games, but he hasn't shown the same explosiveness this year. He's not a bad outside shooter, he just doesn't have the confidence to take them. He has been disappointing this season.

The biggest problem right now is the coaching. The team is playing dumb and they're not playing with any energy. They need to go with their top 7 or 8 guys and only play those guys. And you don't win without good guards, so they need to address that in the spring period. As many holes as UNH has, there's no reason they shouldn't have won 2 or 3 conference games by now.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Re: I didn't make it last night

Originally posted by <b>GraniteStateUNH</b>!
What are everyone's expectations for the Bing game?
UNH isn't going to beat anyone with they way they're playing right now. If they play like they should, they have the potential to beat any team in the conference outside of the "Big 3".

The coaching has really been bad most of this season and all during Rowe's tenure. I really wanted Rowe to succeed, but I can't see any reason to bring him back after this season.

Say what you want about the administration, but they've let him recruit JUCO and foreign players, things they've never done before.. And one of the AD's top priorities has been improving the basketball program. Fan support stinks, but if they could win some games it wouldn't be so bad. I wouldn't blame the administration.

I've been feeling overly negative since the Albany loss!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Two things that raise my eyebrows:
*Maine only had ten turnovers.
*Dobson and Markwood combined for 11 assists.

While tuning in, I got the impression that patience is settling in with this team more and more.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts