Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Small satellite campus of the UMaine system that offered 5 sports: m&w soccer, women's volleyball and m&w basketball. I know there are tons of small schools peppered throughout our conference footprint and I have a feeling this may not be the only school that has to make such a drastic decision. I mean, I understand that it is only 5 sports, but still, we are talking about a college dropping athletics for the foreseeable future.

UM-Machias suspending athletics

I feel many of these schools have been fighting to survive over the last few years and this pandemic has put them in an even more precarious situation. We will see if more and more schools opt for this approach.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I think this writing was on the wall in 2016 when Orono took over direct administration of Machias. The bigger issue isn't Corona- it is the continued depopulation of Washington County and the flight south of high school graduates. I don't even know that Machias would have been eligible to join the NCAA as it did not have separate administration.

Hopefully the State will look at reducing some redundancies in higher ed. Do Fort Kent and Presque Isle both need four year colleges? Could UMaine-Augusta take over all of the four year campuses besides Orono, USM, Farmington, and Maine Maritime? Is there overlap between the Community College System and the smaller 4 year campuses?

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I think this writing was on the wall in 2016 when Orono took over direct administration of Machias. The bigger issue isn't Corona- it is the continued depopulation of Washington County and the flight south of high school graduates. I don't even know that Machias would have been eligible to join the NCAA as it did not have separate administration.

Hopefully the State will look at reducing some redundancies in higher ed. Do Fort Kent and Presque Isle both need four year colleges? Could UMaine-Augusta take over all of the four year campuses besides Orono, USM, Farmington, and Maine Maritime? Is there overlap between the Community College System and the smaller 4 year campuses?
Completely agree with all that and have been banging the consolidation drum for a while. The State of Maine needs to get all this in order for sure as the available resources are just being spread too thin.

I am looking at it from a broader picture. I mean, when you have a Stanford pulling the plug on nearly a dozen programs, that is a big deal. I just wonder if smaller schools (non DI) are going to also find themselves in a similar situation where they are going to have to abandon college athletics in order to survive as an institution of higher learning. Drastic for sure, but with all the online availability and the huge loss of income in today's world, the process has been sped up.

*Edit - I guess I'm thinking schools along the lines of Plymouth State, Lyndon State (which almost was combined with another campus that I am forgetting), Colby-Sawyer, Amherst College, Bridgewater State, Eastern Connecticut State, Middlesex, Mitchell, etc.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Considering the merger of Connecticut's state and community colleges under one Board of Regents happened under Malloy's watch, I wouldn't be surprised to see the same thing happen in Maine. The state only needs one system of higher education. A three-tiered system would be best:

University Level: Maine, Southern Maine
State College Level, Augusta, Farmington, Aroostook (PI/FK), Maritime would fall here too
Community College Level: however many there are

·
Premium Member
33,157 Posts
*Edit - I guess I'm thinking schools along the lines of Plymouth State, Lyndon State (which almost was combined with another campus that I am forgetting), Colby-Sawyer, Amherst College, Bridgewater State, Eastern Connecticut State, Middlesex, Mitchell, etc.
I’m guessing you mean Hampshire College, not Amherst College(?). Amherst has a $2.5bn endowment and is a top liberal arts college in the country. It’s not going anywhere.

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’m guessing you mean Hampshire College, not Amherst College(?). Amherst has a $2.5bn endowment and is a top liberal arts college in the country. It’s not going anywhere.
I understand their academic prowess. The topic at hand is more a reduction of sports/elimination of athletics. I didn't know their endowment but that doesn't seem to matter at other schools that decided to drop sports.

No biggie.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Considering the merger of Connecticut's state and community colleges under one Board of Regents happened under Malloy's watch, I wouldn't be surprised to see the same thing happen in Maine. The state only needs one system of higher education. A three-tiered system would be best:

University Level: Maine, Southern Maine
State College Level, Augusta, Farmington, Aroostook (PI/FK), Maritime would fall here too
Community College Level: however many there are
Bingo! Malloy will ruin Maine higher education system, just as he did with his cronies at CSU.

He first merged the boards of the State University System (Central, Eastern, Southern, and Western) with the Community College System into the single Board of Regents - while keeping the UConn system separate with their own board of trustees.

Then he tried to merge all the community colleges into a single entity. They had to back off and try to create 3 regional structures for the community colleges. While I agree that 12 community colleges in Connecticut was probably too many and certainly had some bloat - he went about it the wrong way.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Bingo! Malloy will ruin Maine higher education system, just as he did with his cronies at CSU.

He first merged the boards of the State University System (Central, Eastern, Southern, and Western) with the Community College System into the single Board of Regents - while keeping the UConn system separate with their own board of trustees.

Then he tried to merge all the community colleges into a single entity. They had to back off and try to create 3 regional structures for the community colleges. While I agree that 12 community colleges in Connecticut was probably too many and certainly had some bloat - he went about it the wrong way.
I think every leader of the Maine college system has tried to consolidate over the last 15-20+ years but has run into trouble with legislators who don't want to close or merge the colleges in their backyards. This is what Malloy was brought in to do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts