Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
UMBC wasn't a step up from UMKC, but he turned it into one, and he's been a hot commodity at the low D1 level since last year. It wasn't just two basketball games in a week, it was a complete reorganization of the department personnel, coaching staffs, fundraising from the new arena (admittedly put in place by his predecessor, but he was there to open it up), and multiple AE conference titles. That's probably what SIUE is expecting him to do for him. Plus he's from the midwest, and has multiple connections to the Horizon and OVC, so I'm not surprised he's headed in that region.

What happens next is completely on President Hrabowski. The next AD may have a completely different agenda and may undo everything Hall has done, or Hrabowski may demand Hall's agenda be completed. The next big project is turning the soccer park into a full stadium with permanent stands, something the men's coach has wanted since their 2014 College Cup run. I can't think of anything after that, but this is what I'm most afraid of is UMBC going back to the bad old days of multiple teams with single-digit wins.

·
Premium Member
33,155 Posts
SIUE? Wow. Had to look up what that was and if it was a D1 school.

Ok.

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
SIUE? Wow. Had to look up what that was and if it was a D1 school.

Ok.
Used to be one of the biggest soccer powers in the country, had a huge rivalry with St. Louis. They played their annual game at Busch Stadium in the 70's and 80's, still holding the record for highest attendance at a college soccer game.

That's my SIUE fact.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Used to be one of the biggest soccer powers in the country, had a huge rivalry with St. Louis. They played their annual game at Busch Stadium in the 70's and 80's, still holding the record for highest attendance at a college soccer game.

That's my SIUE fact.
Southern Illinois University Evansville (SIUE) is not even the flagship of the Southern Illinois University campuses. That would be Carbondale, usually just referred to as SIU.

My fun fact about SIU is that Walt (Clyde) Frazier is an alumnus (of the main Carbondale campus)... a Saluki. (SIUE are the Cougars, so a bonus fun fact!)

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Edwardsville, not Evansville.

I had the headline confused with SEIU, the health care workers union (Service Employees Intl Union)

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
Interesting on the hire. I'm sure ace can fill us in, but wasn't the process behind hiring Marshall as head basketball coach a mess?

·
Realist/A-hole
5,725 Posts
That certainly doesn't bode well for Marshall's prospects.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Interesting on the hire. I'm sure ace can fill us in, but wasn't the process behind hiring Marshall as head basketball coach a mess?
The best thing Barrio has going for him is that he wasn't there when they hired Marshall. According to his bio, he only started a year ago.

Didn't hire him, doesn't have to fire him. Nice work if you can get it.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
The best thing Barrio has going for him is that he wasn't there when they hired Marshall. According to his bio, he only started a year ago.

Didn't hire him, doesn't have to fire him. Nice work if you can get it.
The whole Marshall thing was a mess to start. Paul Schlickmann, who was CCSU's AD at the time (now at Fairfield) wanted Jay Young from when he was at SBU, since Schlickmann worked as an associate AD at SBU prior to taking the CCSU job (he eventually got his man). As I understand it, the president of the school or some other power brokers balked and said Marshall because of the UConn connections. That president has since departed too, so nobody associated with the Marshall fiasco is around.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I can't say that UMBC got a good or bad AD - he just wasn't here long enough for me to make a fair assessment. He had nothing to do with the DM hire, and I was hoping he would have worked out a deal at the end of the season to push Donyell out with 1 year remaining in his contract. That is now a pipe dream.

I hear Brian will double his salary - so I can't blame him for leaving. CCSU (and the entire State of Connecticut) is dysfunctional. As our population and tax base continues to shrink, State budgets are being cut and I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel.

I'm a sad and embarrassed CCSU fan. We are what we are ...

·
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I can't say that UMBC got a good or bad AD - he just wasn't here long enough for me to make a fair assessment. He had nothing to do with the DM hire, and I was hoping he would have worked out a deal at the end of the season to push Donyell out with 1 year remaining in his contract. That is now a pipe dream.

I hear Brian will double his salary - so I can't blame him for leaving. CCSU (and the entire State of Connecticut) is dysfunctional. As our population and tax base continues to shrink, State budgets are being cut and I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel.

I'm a sad and embarrassed CCSU fan. We are what we are ...
It's interesting you said this, because at his introductory press conference today, it was said that he increased CCSU Athletic Funding by 44%.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts