Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

61 - 80 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
8,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Great news for us. Everyone is now eligible to play. And gives us a legit PG to put KJ at SG or vice versa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
5,912 Posts
Yesterday it was revealed that Arkel Lamar will be out for a few weeks, and worst case scenario, redshirt. Any speculation on the frontrunner to step in his spot?

·
Registered
8,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
My guess is that the starters will be RJ/LJ, LJ/KJ, Horvath, Curran, and Akin.

Curran should be back next week and if KJ isn’t out a while he will start.

It will be interesting to see how much Kennedy and Johnson play at FGCU and how they do. I have heard that Jack Schweitz has made big improvements over the summer and at 6’5” could be a SF.

But most of the time, Gary and John talked about Arkel as a PF, which makes it more likely a healthy Curran would take his place.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The injuries are concerning. At least we don't have a tough out of conference schedule. It would be one thing if we had Vermont's OOC schedule trying to make a name for ourselves with the comparable conferences and our starting rotation was out.

LJ Owens really impressed me, even before the game winning 3. Rogers was decent, although he is not KJ Maura. I think if he were in our starting 5 long term it would be a problem but he can handle himself out there as a 2nd string point. Big men were woefully disappointing.

The FGCU announcers kept going on and on about Horvath, about how good of a shooter he is, about how dangerous he is when he gets hot. I just kept telling myself they must be thinking of someone else. He scored 7 points against FGCU last year so it wasn't that. He's only scored more than 14 points twice in a game, one was a DoubleOT game against Towson. I'm not saying he isn't a solid player, but it was just perplexing their infatuation with Horvath. A dangerous shooter? I think they just looked at the stats last year and Horvath was the only player active yesterday that got significant minutes last year.

·
UMBC fan
3,873 Posts
Sounds like the team may be close to full strength sooner rather than later? How would you allocate 200 minutes for conference play based on what we know now?

Starting 5:

G: Eytle-Rock - 21 minutes
G: Jackson - 32 minutes
G: Owens - 28 minutes
F: Lamar - 24 minutes
F: Akin - 22 minutes

Bench:

Horvath - 22 minutes
Spasojevic - 15 minutes
Rogers - 14 minutes
Curran - 12 minutes
Council - 10 minutes

I really like Kennedy, and think Johnson has good potential, but I don't see how they get minutes if we have a healthy squad. This team has real depth. I am tempted to bench Council and distribute his 10 minutes elsewhere, but we'll see how he plays when he comes back from the hamstring injury.

·
UMBC fan
3,873 Posts

As I write about wanting to play 12 players, I am reminded of the year the team was whittled down to just 7 players (8 when they brought on Olabosipo). Seems like forever ago thanks to Ryan Odom...

·
Realist/A-hole
5,648 Posts
Don't be dissing the Magnificent 7.....

·
Registered
24 Posts
A few thoughts on tonight's game. Over-reactions I know, but it was frustrating watching horrible wide open shooting and getting rolled over on defense after LSU broke out of their slump.
1. Tonight would have gone better had our players been healthy from the start. Still missing Akin, Eytle Rock, and Council. Jackson, Curran, and Lamar looked absolutely lost out there.
2. The crowd liked Rogers but he couldn't shoot. 0 for 6 from 3. Even missed both his free throws. That has to change or else he won't see the court much with Jackson, Eytle-Rock, Owens healthy. Owens has impressed me so far. Looks like Placer on a good day.
3. Not one person on this team can pop an open 3, which is what I thought would be the biggest problem going into the season. Council can shoot but he seemed to go through periods of engagement and disengagement from games last season.
4. The defense will be good as long as Ryan Odom is coach. Shooting will be our downfall. Vermont is in a different tier of college basketball right now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
A few thoughts on tonight's game. Over-reactions I know, but it was frustrating watching horrible wide open shooting and getting rolled over on defense after LSU broke out of their slump.
1. Tonight would have gone better had our players been healthy from the start. Still missing Akin, Eytle Rock, and Council. Jackson, Curran, and Lamar looked absolutely lost out there.
2. The crowd liked Rogers but he couldn't shoot. 0 for 6 from 3. Even missed both his free throws. That has to change or else he won't see the court much with Jackson, Eytle-Rock, Owens healthy. Owens has impressed me so far. Looks like Placer on a good day.
3. Not one person on this team can pop an open 3, which is what I thought would be the biggest problem going into the season. Council can shoot but he seemed to go through periods of engagement and disengagement from games last season.
4. The defense will be good as long as Ryan Odom is coach. Shooting will be our downfall. Vermont is in a different tier of college basketball right now.

My thoughts are Rogers might struggle with Talented teams like LSU who are as quick and top level Talent. He will kill lesser teams. Yeah not sure why nobody can hit a 3. The first game Johnson was hitting them but he is a freshman. LSU is going to be a really really good team by the end of the year. They are a very well paid team also. So I am not worried about that loss. However, UMBC better start playing better together. Lot's of new guys.

·
UMBC fan
3,873 Posts
Updated minutes I would allocate after two horrid performances against LSU and EMU:

Starting 5:

G: Rogers - 24 minutes
G: Owens - 33 minutes
G: Eytle-Rock - 25 minutes
F: Lamar - 27 minutes
F: Spasojevic - 25 minutes

Bench:

Jackson - 27 minutes
Akin - 15 minutes
Kennedy - 13 minutes
Horvath - 12 minutes

Horvath has been horrid in the three D1 contests and has not shown anything to make me believe he will figure it out. I think we need to bring Jackson off the bench for the time being and let Owens-Rogers dominate the ball. They seem to have the best backcourt chemistry of the bunch.

·
Registered
8,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
We need to get healthy but I think it’s also obvious that we have not been recruiting players as good as we did in Odom’s first season.

I don’t know if that was all Griff or Skeeters or something else. Odom is an amazing game coach but we have not gotten better than when he started here.

As I watch player after player not choose UMBC with Odom here I wonder what is going on.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I gave up a few minutes into the 2nd half. With the exception of the Drexel game and the last 10 minutes against FGCU, it has been brutal to watch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Seniors and Juniors are not getting it done. I think they will start using some of the underclass more and more and sitting the older kids. I would watch for that to happen pretty soon.

·
Registered
8,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
I gave up a few minutes into the 2nd half. With the exception of the Drexel game and the last 10 minutes against FGCU, it has been brutal to watch.
I think the fact we cannot get shooters to come to UMBC is a large reason for why we have struggled. Offensively, this team is unrecognizable from 2016-18.

The last truly good shooter we have recruited was Odom’s first season?

·
Registered
8,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Some mitigation in that the team was beaten up by the flu against American and was still recovering against SFPA.

But, we are 2-5 against D1 schools now. Yes, the injuries have really hurt us. But there are real issues with the underlying stats and the fact we are relying upon the shortest player in D1 to score 20 a night to win games.

I have no inside knowledge so I don’t know why we are struggling to recruit shooters but it’s clear that we need to address it this year or we are in deep sh*t.

61 - 80 of 104 Posts