Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

81 - 100 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Not feeling as down as I was. Hearing the team having the flu against American is actually a relief. Hope everyone is good now.
Just glad they were able to score a bit against Towson. Without Lamar, Eytle Rock, and Rogers. It’ll get better. It has seemed like we’ve gotten better as the year progresses every year under Odom. Still expect us to compete with Stony Brook & Albany for a top 3 spot.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Not feeling as down as I was. Hearing the team having the flu against American is actually a relief. Hope everyone is good now.
Just glad they were able to score a bit against Towson. Without Lamar, Eytle Rock, and Rogers. It’ll get better. It has seemed like we’ve gotten better as the year progresses every year under Odom. Still expect us to compete with Stony Brook & Albany for a top 3 spot.
This is why I haven’t sold these guys yet. It’s only mid-December and they still haven’t played a single game with a full roster. There is a lot of runway for them to be better in a league that to me does not have a clear pecking order after #1. Still my pick for #2 until either it becomes obvious that the full roster won’t play together or until they play together for 5 games straight and prove they stink.

·
5,912 Posts
He also mentioned that Arkel Lamar is most likely going to redshirt, it's not official yet until he has his surgery. John Fienstien briefly mentioned that on Monday during the game.

·
Registered
8,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Odom announced today that Curran has left the team for personal matters. Hope all is well for him.
Very sorry to see Max go. He have a few very key moments in his career I will never forget and for which I will always be thankful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
5,912 Posts
I think it’s safe to say UMBC’s season is now a wash. I don’t know if it was a drop in shooting ability or if the injuries took too much of a toll.

·
UMBC fan
3,873 Posts
Taking a look at UMBC shooting numbers at the guard spot (including Horvath)...

Jackson - 12.3 PPG on 41/26.7/67
Owens - 10.5 PPG on 40/34/84
Eytle-Rock - 10.4 PPG on 44/43/71
Horvath - 9.7 PPG on 47/39/56
Kennedy - 5.0 PPG on 36/24/65
Council - 3.8 PPG on 29/28/69
Rogers (7 games) - 14.0 PPG on 45/42/68

If we're looking at players returning next season, the percentages are positive aside from Kennedy, who I think is struggling largely from a lack of consistent playing time. There is no doubt that Odom & staff will have to add AT LEAST one guard who can shoot from the perimeter, but Rogers, Eytle-Rock and Owens provide some hope in the backcourt.

·
UMBC fan
3,873 Posts
Great game from the squad tonight - having to win twice on the road in a packed house against a top 100 NET team is tough. I am proud of where they finished despite the injuries and slow start. Although Jackson was off tonight, I must admit that he played an awesome second half and UMBC wouldn't have gotten to this point without him going off.

Next year will be fun.

CIT? I wouldn't mind, but if not it's still a good season considering.

·
Registered
40 Posts
CIT is cancelled.

Great game from the squad tonight - having to win twice on the road in a packed house against a top 100 NET team is tough. I am proud of where they finished despite the injuries and slow start. Although Jackson was off tonight, I must admit that he played an awesome second half and UMBC wouldn't have gotten to this point without him going off.

Next year will be fun.

CIT? I wouldn't mind, but if not it's still a good season considering.

·
Registered
8,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Arkel and Darnell will return. But my god do we need shooters. Like kids that can come in and make shots from the first day.

I would seriously consider looking at Grad transfers for the last slot. We just signed a freshman and only have one spot left. We have to get someone that can shoot better than 30% from 3.

·
UMBC fan
3,873 Posts
Arkel and Darnell will return. But my god do we need shooters. Like kids that can come in and make shots from the first day.

I would seriously consider looking at Grad transfers for the last slot. We just signed a freshman and only have one spot left. We have to get someone that can shoot better than 30% from 3.
I think we have more than one spot with Council, Curran and Jackson leaving.

·
Registered
8,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Nothing new on the recruiting front. I think we've only given out one recent scholarship offer to Norchad Omier.

All the others are old and assumedly worthless now. We have two more left and I hope one of them is a good shooter.

After watching Arkel in the UVA game, I hope he's healthy next season. It's tough to watch a sophomore shoot 43% from 3-point and boss guys bigger than him on the boards just to see his junior year come off the rails like it did (29%). He's too good for that kind of season. He would have a huge impact if we got the 2017-18 Arkel back healthy.

It will be interesting to see what Darnell does in league play as well. 14ppg and 42% from 3-point in seven OOC games.

81 - 100 of 105 Posts