Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

121 - 133 of 133 Posts

·
UMBC fan
3,889 Posts
Thought I would grade Odom & staff's recruits (no walk-ons) through the years - any thoughts (or omissions by mistake)? Grades for players who have not graduated are based on what I project moving forward.

Arkel Lamar (B)
KJ Maura (A+)
Max Curran (C-)

Ricky Council II (D)
Max Portmann (F)
Daniel Akin (B-)
Josh Rosario (F)
Brandon Horvath (B)

KJ Jackson (B)
Jose Placer (C)
Jack Schwietz (D-)
RJ Eytle-Rock (B+)

Darnell Rogers (B)
Dimitrije Spasojevic (B-)
LJ Owens (B-)
Keondre Kennedy (C)
Nathan Johnson (D?)

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Nathan's still too soon to judge but it's looking like he can't break through. I'd put Keondre at a C- right now. He came in with a year of JuCo under his belt.

But generally speaking, I think that's a good estimate across the board.

He also got Jairus to stay (in part) and convinced Joe to stay when Odom arrived which was probably the best recruiting he ever did.

·
UMBC fan
3,889 Posts
While Odom is without question the better coach, I thought it would be interesting to look at Aki Thomas & staff comparatively:

David Kadiri (D-)
Will Darley (A-, needed Odom to flourish)
Rodney Elliott (A-)
Charles Taylor (F)
Devarick Houston (C+)

Malcolm Brent (D+)
Lamell Washington (F)
Jakob Stenhede (F)
Cody Joyce (C+)
Jourdan Grant (B)

Jairus Lyles (A+)
Daquon Ervin (F)
Nolan Gerrity (D+)
Joel Wincowski (F)
Joe Sherburne (A)
Sam Schwietz (D)

Acquiring Darley, Elliott, Grant, Sherburne and Lyles absolutely benefitted Odom and led to the turnaround, but at least 2 real clunkers per class for Thomas. It is safe to say, though, that without Thomas bringing in Lyles and Sherburne there is no NCAA berth for UMBC in 17-18 which he can be proud of looking back.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Most of the guys that transferred down ended up not doing much or not even playing out their eligibility according to that site. Those are even worse misses than guys who were just at the wrong level.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
UMBC is releasing official acknowledgement of signings today on Twitter. Jacob Boonyasith the first official signee (which is a relief).

No idea if any surprises are in store.

·
5,947 Posts
I really hope there are signees and prospects that just haven’t been known to the recruiting websites, because going into may with 11 scholarship players, one who has to sit out next year, is not a good look for a program on a two-year upswing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Boonyasith officially sitting out a year? LJ Owens didn't sit out a year. I am not well versed in transfer rules. Departing school's decision?

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
I think they got a waiver because the coach was fired. Boonyasith doesn’t have that advantage. But who knows with COVID.

·
UMBC fan
3,889 Posts
Don't want to jump into a new thread yet since don't know what 20-21 will look like...but it seems the roster is filled. Who would you figure works their way into the rotation with the information we know about each newcomer? I see Rogers and Eytle-Rock as locks, Horvath a near-lock unless they like him off the bench as 6th man, and Akin with a good chance to start at the 5. Picarelli seems to be someone who is ready to play and put up points, but his youth and defense could limit his ability to start from day one. You have to figure Spasojevic gets minutes behind Akin once again, and that Lamar will either start at a forward spot or being first off the bench.

I think I might go...

Rogers
Eytle-Rock
Picarelli
Lamar
Akin

Depth

Horvath
Spasojevic
Owens
Kennedy
Wojcik

I like pairing Lamar's defense with offensive-minded Rogers and Picarelli, and I am still holding out hope that he can serve as a deep threat with a 2016-17 type 3 ball. I prefer Horvath off the bench, and he and Owens can provide needed scoring off the bench along with Spasojevic.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Not as convinced about Rogers as some...
He has extremely limited college basketball experience. He played against 4 D1 teams with us. 1 revenge game against FGCU, two duds against LSU and Eastern Mich, and a whole lot of junk time points against Nichols State. I have no doubt he can shoot the 3 ball given an open look, but I have to think he’s a defensive liability.
PG: Eytle-Rock, Rogers
SG: Owens, Picarelli
SF: Lamar, Kennedy
PF: Horvath, Wojcik
C: Akin, Spaz
Leftover: Johnson, Quinton, Thompson, Davis, Boonyasith(RS)

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
If Boonyasith has to sit out then RJ and Owens are the back court to start. Lamar and Horvath plus Akin in the front court. Otherwise Jacob starts at the SG spot. He is more productive than any other guard on the team besides RJ.

121 - 133 of 133 Posts