Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
UMBC fan
3,894 Posts
No Rico Quinton?

Also Reid is a walk-on, apparently. Was at Oak Hill for a time, but not sure if he was on the Varsity team. VC has him listed there since 7/18.

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh you know if forgot about Quinton. Good point. Maybe things changed because of COVID

·
UMBC fan
3,894 Posts
Arkel Lamar is transferring per Verbal Commits.

One of my favorite UMBC players! He was awesome next to Jairus and KJ to open 2017-18, but just couldn't find the consistency as a scorer his junior season. I thought he was best defender in the league, though.

Will always be a legend with his performance and signature plays against UVA. Hope he gets a chance to in a big conference!

·
Registered
587 Posts
As an opposing fan, I was pretty worried about having to deal with the length and size on the perimeter that Lamar and Eytle Rock would have brought to the table when on the floor at the same time. It’s too bad he’s leaving. I always liked his game. He’s got a high D1 build physically so probably will be a nice add for someone.

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If he can get healthy he can put up some decent numbers at a higher level off the bench. He was a 43% 3pt shooter as a sophomore.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Big blow. Why wait until now?

He had such long arms it seems like he was always deflecting passes or stealing them.

The game was in all certainty over before this but this always stuck out in my mind as when I KNEW it was over.

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I really wish Arkel had come back healthy for one more season but he's really done everything we could have asked for us. If he wants to go play somewhere else and go back to the Dance again even as a sub, I cannot begrudge that.

·
6,033 Posts
Big blow. Why wait until now?

He had such long arms it seems like he was always deflecting passes or stealing them.

The game was in all certainty over before this but this always stuck out in my mind as when I KNEW it was over. View attachment 20856
Notice that Wednesday was the date the NCAA announced its return status, that may have factored into the decision. I don’t know his academic situation, but if memory from years ago serves me correct, this is the time of year those planning to graduate in December apply for graduation (so they can turn around and say “remember that class you took two years ago that you thought satisfied your English requirements? We’ve changed our mind, it doesn’t, you have to stay one more semester;” not that I’m bitter, or anything)

If he was told that his new school’s conference is going ahead with the season, he might not be able to get sixth year player status if he doesn’t do so now. Besides, I read somewhere that the Ivy isn’t the only low-major conference leaning towards a January start, so there’s some uncertainty in the AE as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts