Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
UMBC fan
4,047 Posts
No Rico Quinton?

Also Reid is a walk-on, apparently. Was at Oak Hill for a time, but not sure if he was on the Varsity team. VC has him listed there since 7/18.

·
Registered
8,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh you know if forgot about Quinton. Good point. Maybe things changed because of COVID

·
UMBC fan
4,047 Posts
Arkel Lamar is transferring per Verbal Commits.

One of my favorite UMBC players! He was awesome next to Jairus and KJ to open 2017-18, but just couldn't find the consistency as a scorer his junior season. I thought he was best defender in the league, though.

Will always be a legend with his performance and signature plays against UVA. Hope he gets a chance to in a big conference!

·
Registered
650 Posts
As an opposing fan, I was pretty worried about having to deal with the length and size on the perimeter that Lamar and Eytle Rock would have brought to the table when on the floor at the same time. It’s too bad he’s leaving. I always liked his game. He’s got a high D1 build physically so probably will be a nice add for someone.

·
Registered
8,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If he can get healthy he can put up some decent numbers at a higher level off the bench. He was a 43% 3pt shooter as a sophomore.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Big blow. Why wait until now?

He had such long arms it seems like he was always deflecting passes or stealing them.

The game was in all certainty over before this but this always stuck out in my mind as when I KNEW it was over.

·
Registered
8,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I really wish Arkel had come back healthy for one more season but he's really done everything we could have asked for us. If he wants to go play somewhere else and go back to the Dance again even as a sub, I cannot begrudge that.

·
Super Moderator
6,218 Posts
Big blow. Why wait until now?

He had such long arms it seems like he was always deflecting passes or stealing them.

The game was in all certainty over before this but this always stuck out in my mind as when I KNEW it was over. View attachment 20856
Notice that Wednesday was the date the NCAA announced its return status, that may have factored into the decision. I don’t know his academic situation, but if memory from years ago serves me correct, this is the time of year those planning to graduate in December apply for graduation (so they can turn around and say “remember that class you took two years ago that you thought satisfied your English requirements? We’ve changed our mind, it doesn’t, you have to stay one more semester;” not that I’m bitter, or anything)

If he was told that his new school’s conference is going ahead with the season, he might not be able to get sixth year player status if he doesn’t do so now. Besides, I read somewhere that the Ivy isn’t the only low-major conference leaning towards a January start, so there’s some uncertainty in the AE as well.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My thoughts going into the season...

I do think, despite finishing 8-8 and 4th in the conference, UMBC was the 2nd best team in the AEC after a brutal 0-4 and 2-6 start. Injuries disrupted team chemistry early on but they looked great in the 2nd half for the most part. They were still clearly a tier below Vermont, but within striking distance. They lost probably their #1 overall contributor in KJ Jackson but that’s it. Arkel Lamar would have been a nice re-addition but he was hurt all last year anyway so he doesn't really fit into the comparison from last year to this year. Honestly, the conference does not look scary. I won't get into all the teams, but there's no reason we can’t be #2 in this conference and challenge UVM.

Roster:

1. Brandon Horvath → Will be an elite forward in this league
2. Dan Akin → Not much of an offensive threat but will start and provide good D
3. Dimitre Spaz → I loved watching Spaz play. He was crazy efficient and knew his strength. He'll rotate out with Akin and be the more offensive big man.
4. Darnell Rogers → He played a lot when he was healthy. He clearly has limitations but I think he could be a interesting deep ball threat off the bench.

5. Keondre Kennedy → He showed flashes last year. If he put on weight he could be a contributor as a swingman type.
6. LJ Owens → He's not a playmaker but performed his shooting guard roll well.
7. Szymon Wojcik → Polish forward that played at Missouri State…? Seemed to play reasonably well in limited playing time there. 6'9, 220.
8. RJ Eytle Rock → Showed what he could be towards the end of the season. Will be an elite guard in the league
9. Rico Quinton → Spaz’s big man buddy from ECU. Probably just front court depth? 6'10, 240.
10. Jacob Boonyasith → I'm only looking at the stats here but seems to be a stockier, more efficient LJ Owens.

11. Sam Grace → Transfer football player from Towson, probably won’t see the court I'd imagine
12. Nathan Johnson → He didn't do anything against real competition. Can we expect any production here?

13. Thomas Reid → 6'2, 155 guard from Canada.
14. Brendan Davis → 6'0, 160 guard from Annapolis
15. Matteo Picarelli → Probably the most interesting of the the freshmen? 6'2, 180.

My guesses: G, G, F/G, Forward, Forward/Center
First Team: Eytle Rock, Owens, Boonyasith, Horvath, Akin
Second Team: Rogers, Picarelli, Kennedy, Wojcik, Spaz
Third Team: Reid, Davis, Johnson, Grace, Quinton

I'm no expert and mostly just going off what I saw last year watching basically every UMBC game. Anyone have thoughts on what they're expecting out of the newcomers? Agree or disagree with any of my assessments?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Thinking back to the last game last year, Eytle Rock and Horvath were dominating UVM. I could see both of those guys having POTY type seasons.

Why doesn't Spasojevic start? I remember him also being really good too

·
Realist/A-hole
5,905 Posts
In my opinion, Odom values defense first and they needed some offensive punch off the bench.

·
Registered
650 Posts
If they get some production from a couple of the new guys, this looks like a pretty good roster to me. Wojcik and Quinton sound interesting. Eytle Rock played at an elite level at the end of last year. Made a huge jump.

I know they like Akin’s defense but I’ve never really gotten there on him. As an opposing fan, I was way more worried seeing Spasojevic on the court. At times, he was unstoppable 15 feet and in. I think they guard well enough as a team to put up with his shortcomings on that end. Hopefully he worked on it in the offseason.

I think this roster should be right in the thick of it.

·
Registered
8,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I didn’t realize Boonyasith got a waiver. He is a good shooter and I think really brings some balance. Picarelli would have to be amazing to be a high impact freshman (who we really have lacked since Rodney Elliott).

My guess is similar: RJ, LJ, Boonyasith, Horvath, and Akin. Losing Arkel was a blow. Bench is still very, very light on shooters. I think we are going to continue to not realize our potential because of it.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts