Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
UMBC fan
4,119 Posts
The AE has announced that UVM vs UMBC will be February 18 and 19, with the 18th on ESPNU. I would assume that for next weekend, since the only opponent we haven’t played yet that isn’t on the AE’s website is Maine, we’ll have them, assuming they’re no longer paused?
Website says it's a "bye week."

·
Registered
106 Posts
Arkel Lamar is playing for the University of Missouri Kansas City Kangaroos. Doing quite well

Obviously I don’t know the full story but on the face of it, it’s an odd transfer. Move across the country to a worse program in a worst conference, playing the same minutes as he would here

·
UMBC fan
4,119 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
My thoughts going into the season...

I do think, despite finishing 8-8 and 4th in the conference, UMBC was the 2nd best team in the AEC after a brutal 0-4 and 2-6 start. Injuries disrupted team chemistry early on but they looked great in the 2nd half for the most part. They were still clearly a tier below Vermont, but within striking distance. They lost probably their #1 overall contributor in KJ Jackson but that’s it. Arkel Lamar would have been a nice re-addition but he was hurt all last year anyway so he doesn't really fit into the comparison from last year to this year. Honestly, the conference does not look scary. I won't get into all the teams, but there's no reason we can’t be #2 in this conference and challenge UVM.

Roster:

1. Brandon Horvath → Will be an elite forward in this league
2. Dan Akin → Not much of an offensive threat but will start and provide good D
3. Dimitre Spaz → I loved watching Spaz play. He was crazy efficient and knew his strength. He'll rotate out with Akin and be the more offensive big man.
4. Darnell Rogers → He played a lot when he was healthy. He clearly has limitations but I think he could be a interesting deep ball threat off the bench.

5. Keondre Kennedy → He showed flashes last year. If he put on weight he could be a contributor as a swingman type.
6. LJ Owens → He's not a playmaker but performed his shooting guard roll well.
7. Szymon Wojcik → Polish forward that played at Missouri State…? Seemed to play reasonably well in limited playing time there. 6'9, 220.
8. RJ Eytle Rock → Showed what he could be towards the end of the season. Will be an elite guard in the league
9. Rico Quinton → Spaz’s big man buddy from ECU. Probably just front court depth? 6'10, 240.
10. Jacob Boonyasith → I'm only looking at the stats here but seems to be a stockier, more efficient LJ Owens.

11. Sam Grace → Transfer football player from Towson, probably won’t see the court I'd imagine
12. Nathan Johnson → He didn't do anything against real competition. Can we expect any production here?

13. Thomas Reid → 6'2, 155 guard from Canada.
14. Brendan Davis → 6'0, 160 guard from Annapolis
15. Matteo Picarelli → Probably the most interesting of the the freshmen? 6'2, 180.

My guesses: G, G, F/G, Forward, Forward/Center
First Team: Eytle Rock, Owens, Boonyasith, Horvath, Akin
Second Team: Rogers, Picarelli, Kennedy, Wojcik, Spaz
Third Team: Reid, Davis, Johnson, Grace, Quinton

I'm no expert and mostly just going off what I saw last year watching basically every UMBC game. Anyone have thoughts on what they're expecting out of the newcomers? Agree or disagree with any of my assessments?
Thought I was pretty spot on.

1. Akin took a step forward in my eyes and Spaz took an equivalent step backwards. Same thing happened with his time in the AAC. He’s an easy player to scout.
2. I probably underestimated Rogers as countless people have in his life.
3. Picarelli was the most interesting freshman but first year players don’t play much here.
4. Eytle-Rock and Horvath are elite players in this league.
5. Boonyasith never got it going despite Odom’s efforts to make him a contributor. Transfers are tricky. He is an LJ Owens but Owens is the one who is more efficient.
6. Wojcik could be something down the line but never got comfortable in game time.
7. Kennedy took a leap forward I could not have envisioned last year

61 - 67 of 67 Posts