Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 189 Posts

·
UMBC fan
4,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A new era of UMBC basketball...going to be a pivotal year for the program.

·
Registered
8,500 Posts
I don't blame anyone for leaving. Brandon and Dan went to the NCAAs as freshmen and beat UVA. Even if I was a scout team player I'd want to go back again in my last year.

·
Registered
8,500 Posts
BoR and I were talking about this. Odom is the first coach in 28 years not to be fired from his job at UMBC.

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
I have to think that UMBC is a pretty attractive job right now, esp for someone that really wants to climb the ladder. I doubt you will have a shortage of very good applicants. The key will be the AD and committee selecting the right one and honestly, that is so difficult.

·
UMBC fan
4,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BoR and I were talking about this. Odom is the first coach in 28 years not to be fired from his job at UMBC.
I think I would be OK with hiring Dixon for this reason - I don't know about the X's and O's and rotations compared to Odom, but would think the continuity would prevent a possible single-digit win, rebuild season(s).

·
Registered
8,500 Posts
So Odom appears to have made our decision for us: there won’t be a promoted assistant. We aren’t promoting a DBO to head coach.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I really don't think Brian Barrio would've promoted internally anyway.
Very interested in this selection as CCSU and UMBC share a lot in common.

First, I'd like to see how Brian does on this hire and what UMBC fans think of the process, as he would have been doing this at Central this year if he stayed. As I said before, he wasn't at CCSU long enough for me to have an opinion on him positive or negative.

Second, UMBC is using a search firm and our interim AD is doing it completely in-house. He's been with us for a long time, is very experienced, and knows CCSU athletics as well as anyone. Thankfully we have a new Administration (COO and President), but our last selection process was a debacle that got us Donyell. UMBC is riding high from what Odom accomplished and has no such baggage.

We've had the opening longer and it has already closed, but we are almost certainly offering less money than UMBC. The Retrievers are a more attractive job now compared to their NEC days and before the ground-breaking NCAA win.

I wish you guys a lots of luck and hope our new coaches sign a scheduling deal, so I can watch my Blue Devils in your new digs :)

·
Super Moderator
6,536 Posts
Well, although he had two NEC titles, that was 10 years ago. He had very little success at Duquesne, but I don’t know if that was him or an administration that doesn’t give resources to their program for the level they play in.

We’ll find out.

1 - 20 of 189 Posts