Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

81 - 100 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
I'm assuming Pelletier is going to be the #1 assistant. I hope there's someone else coming in because Baker and Brudish are not experienced assistants.

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
Evann Baker:

Evann Baker joined the Zips’ staff as the video coordinator in September 2017, arriving from Penn State. He spent two seasons, 2015-2017, with the Nittany Lions as a graduate manager. He assisted in player development and practice duties, as well as editing film for coach analysis and assisting the directors of player development and operations with their daily tasks.

Prior to Penn State, he spent three years with high school and AAU programs around the D.C. area, including U15 Nike Team Takeover. He was also the acting dean of students and educational aide at Lasalle Backus Educational Campus.

Baker started his career as an undergraduate and graduate assistant coach at his alma mater Quinnipiac after a career-ending knee injury that prevented him from playing in his sophomore season. He was named to the Northeast Conference All-Rookie Team, averaging 10.9 points per game, Baker was NEC Rookie of the Week twice.
He was a four-year letterwinner from Archbishop Carroll High School in Washington, D.C., where he was named Gatorade Player of the Year (2006). Baker ranks 9th all time in Washington, DC in single game scoring (51 points).

Baker earned three degrees, a bachelor’s in media studies and master’s in Journalism from Quinnipiac, and a second master’s in Educational Leadership from Penn State.

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
Josh Pelletier:

The Great Danes ended the 2018-19 season as the only team starting freshmen at all five positions, four of whom, Cameron Healy, Adam Lulka, Brent Hank, and Malachi de Sousa, were recruited by Coach Pelletier. Healy set single-season program records for three pointers made and attempted, and set a freshman season program record for total points en route to All-Conference Third Team and All-Rookie honors. Lulka was the only freshman in program history to be named team captain. Lulka started all 32 games for UAlbany, shooting 56% from the field and leading the Great Danes in rebounds, while also leading America East freshmen in the same category, and ranking second overall in the conference in offensive rebounds specifically.

He recruited David Nichols, the only sophomore in UAlbany history to be selected as America East All-Conference First Team in the 2016-17 season. Nichols finished with 625 points, the second-highest single scoring season in UAlbany history, and was the America East Scholar-Athlete of the Year for men's basketball. He finished his UAlbany career as a member of the 1,000-point club and was in the top-10 in scoring in the America East for two seasons.

He also recruited Travis Charles, who holds the highest field goal percentage and points per game for a forward in UAlbany men's basketball history. The 2017-18 America East All-Conference forward was in the top-10 that season in scoring and rebounding in the America East. Also in the frontcourt that season was his recruit Alex Foster, the team's first-ever graduate transfer, who tied a program record with 15 rebounds at Louisville.

Josh Pelletier - Assistant Coach - Men's Basketball Coaches - University at Albany Great Danes (ualbanysports.com)

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Jon Rothstein reports that the final assistant spot at UMBC will be filled by Danny Lawson. Currently head coach at D-3 Emmanuel College in Boston, he was on Ferry's staffs at Duquesne and LIU.

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
Looks like they had their whole 2020-21 season cancelled. But Lawson took Emmanuel from a bad team to back to back 18+ win seasons. I don't know how good this staff will be but I do like that he's got an assistant with HC experience on the staff.

It's just so weird to see new faces.

·
UMBC fan
4,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 · (Edited)
e
Jon Rothstein reports that the final assistant spot at UMBC will be filled by Danny Lawson. Currently head coach at D-3 Emmanuel College in Boston, he was on Ferry's staffs at Duquesne and LIU.
They're D2. Have an awesome sophomore I'd love to see at UMBC...

Edit: There is a D2 Emanuel, but Lawson is at the D3 school. Oops. I'm familiar with the one that plays D2 Belmont Abbey.

·
UMBC fan
4,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Yeah there's one down South that I got confused too.
When we had offered now Lipscomb G Romeoa Ferguson from Belmont Abbey I remembered a playoff game vs. that D2 Emmanuel I watched.

By the way, Ferguson had a nice season with the Bison scoring 13.3 PPG on 48/38/72 with 5 boards and 2 assists a game.

·
Super Moderator
6,410 Posts
Looks like they had their whole 2020-21 season cancelled. But Lawson took Emmanuel from a bad team to back to back 18+ win seasons. I don't know how good this staff will be but I do like that he's got an assistant with HC experience on the staff.

It's just so weird to see new faces.
Sounds familiar.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Seems like a good staff, D3 coach of the year, experienced D1 recruiter , the one I have no idea about experience wise is the Baker one but I believe he is connected to the Maryland area? I watched Ferry teams at both Adelhpi and LIU, extremely strong offensive coach.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Seems like a good staff, D3 coach of the year, experienced D1 recruiter , the one I have no idea about experience wise is the Baker one but I believe he is connected to the Maryland area? I watched Ferry teams at both Adelhpi and LIU, extremely strong offensive coach.
Just came here to say this. For an AE level staff it's solid. Ferry hired some guys he knows but they're qualified. Baker might not have "experience" but...this is how you get it and climb the ladder going from a GA at Big 10 to video guy/ops guy at a MAC school to AE assistant coach. I imagine having strong DC/MD ties from his youth, plus the AAU should at least ingratiate the new staff to the local landscape. Getting a very recent AE assistant also helps with jumping right in to understand league personnel too.

Still maintain Ferry and staff have to hit the ground running. If they manage to bring Kennedy, Rogers and Akin (?) back from the portal and add a few parts, I don't see why they couldn't finish in the top 4 again. The biggest thing is Ferry's game philosophies on the offensive and defensive ends. He's touted as a strong offensive guy, but if he thinks coming in and just saying "here's the system I've always run" on day 1 with players who may or may not fit, that's an easy way to lose a lot of games. Hopefully he's smart enough to know you implement what you can based on the personnel...and that you still have to be committed to a team defensive buy in to stay around the top in this league.

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
I watched the interview with Ferry and he said his offensive philosophy is much more like Odom in 2016-18 than what we did last year. And to your point, if Ferry thinks he's going to go up tempo with the team as it stands we're going to struggle. This team does not shoot well enough to have a "3s are better than 2s" offense.

In the interview, Ferry definitely called out his recruiting of Olasewere and others as part of his local connections. But he specifically identified Baker (not by name) as another piece of the puzzle for local contacts.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Agreed, one of the things about the America East I enjoy watching is how much Xs and Os do matter since its smaller conference. I think Ferry is pretty good at that, had some big wins at Duquesne, Penn St, built LIU into three straight championships. I am interested to see what area he recrutis, at LIU he recruited Texas and Maryland, I wonder if he targets NY New england at all. May take time but I read an article where Ferry said its the best opportunity he has had. UMBC has great facilities and is a committed basketball school much like Stony Brook and much like Vermont is doing with there new facility.

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
Learned a little bit new from the first half of the book (mostly around Odom pushing Lyles to be a leader). Just got to the part where we beat UVA.

I have never watched the KSU game. I stayed in Charlotte and went to that game in person and it was so heartbreaking to be so good on defense but just out of gas. Joe never goes 0-9 from the floor. So I’m not sure when I’m going to be able to finish this book and read about the second game.

81 - 100 of 162 Posts