Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

101 - 120 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
I finished it. Certainly more for the casual fan and someone that doesn’t know UMBC well. But with that said, I did learn some new things about the team and Odom, which makes me lament him leaving all the more.

Grateful a book like this exists and that I can go back and re-live March 2018 whenever I want.

·
UMBC fan
4,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
If Rogers and Kennedy return (our new AC retweeted it on Twitter), we basically only lost Eytle-Rock to the portal with Horvath and Akin (should he go to JMU or USU) being graduated seniors.

I think Kennedy is going to breakout next season...

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
I like Keondre a lot. He had really blossomed since arriving. But Ferry is a 3 over a 2 offense guy and that is not Kennedy’s strength.

·
UMBC fan
4,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
I like Keondre a lot. He had really blossomed since arriving. But Ferry is a 3 over a 2 offense guy and that is not Kennedy’s strength.
Shot 6 for 16 in the final weeks, and was a great 3 point shooter in JUCO. He has a nice shot, and I bet he'll shoot 30-33% from 3 this year.

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
Well let’s hope it’s better than 33%. Glad to have him back either way. We are definitely better with him. He is an excellent defender and a good teammate.

·
UMBC fan
4,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
Well let’s hope it’s better than 33%. Glad to have him back either way. We are definitely better with him. He is an excellent defender and a good teammate.
He was 69 for 173 (40%) in JUCO, all in one season. He can definitely fit well into an uptempo, 3-based game. Mainly, though, I agree that his defense and unselfishness/passing are two of the best aspects of his game.

·
UMBC fan
4,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 · (Edited)
Current Roster (updated 5/3):
Position/Player/Standing
PG Darnell Rogers - Senior (2 years left?)
F/C Dimitrije Spasojevic - Grad
G Keondre Kennedy - Senior
G LJ Owens - Senior
G Jacob Boonyasith - Senior
F Szymon Wojcik - Senior
F/C Rico Quinton (?) - Senior(?) (2 years left?)
F Nathan Johnson - Junior
G Matteo Picarelli - Sophomore
F Yaw Obeng - Sophomore
F Anyang Garang - Freshman
Open Scholarship
Open Scholarship

Walk-Ons
Ben Grace
Thomas Reid
Brendan Davis

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
Darnell sat once so I think this is it for him. Ferry needs to hit on those four open scholarships or 2022-23 is going to be a nightmare.

I still don't know what happened to Rico. I don't recall ever seeing him on the bench.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Good for you guys, re: Rogers and Kennedy. I don't know if you guys hired the right coach or not. And we might not know for a few years. But I think this announcement is a good reason to not judge things too quickly and not to panic. It's easy to freak out when you have an in-house you guy you like and he doesn't get hired, and it looks like 10 guys are going to transfer and you're back at Square One. But then guys have a chance to meet the new staff...and also realize that maybe there isn't room for ALL of them in the portal...people get their wits about them and things seem like they're going to be ok. As mentioned, you lose Eytle-Rock (bummer, for sure) and two guys who would have been bonuses had they stayed.

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
If Ferry's assistants are accurate, it's not a bad staff. But Odom was a generational coach and following that up with a guy that is so underwhelming is asking for a lot of patience with a new AD.

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
I am trying to understand why we still have not announced our coaching staff. Utah State has announced everyone Odom hired including his DBO and video analyst. I'm starting to feel like we're backsliding into how things used to be and I'm not happy about it.

·
UMBC fan
4,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 · (Edited)

He's got a great basketball body and can really leap. Definitely will want to get his percentages up, but looks like a ready rotation player from Day 1.

Had known offers from Texas State, Purdue Fort Wayne, Kansas City (UMKC) and Chicago State.

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
I’m a little concerned about Yaw in that those are not strong programs. Perhaps he is better than his numbers suggest. Ferry cannot miss on these kids if he wants to keep his job (Barrio too for that matter).

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
I’m excited about Anyang even if he isn’t an all-conference player. He sounds like a good guy and a good student and that’s always welcome.

·
UMBC fan
4,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
I’m a little concerned about Yaw in that those are not strong programs. Perhaps he is better than his numbers suggest. Ferry cannot miss on these kids if he wants to keep his job (Barrio too for that matter).
Texas State is a better program than us, IPFW and UMKC similar. I don't think that's bad competition at all.

101 - 120 of 162 Posts