Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
141 - 160 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
8,500 Posts
30 days ago we announced the hiring of Jim Ferry and we still haven't introduced the assistant coaches or at the very least added them to the website. 30 days.

If we haven't been able to complete their contracts, which is why they aren't announced, how is that acceptable?

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
30 days ago we announced the hiring of Jim Ferry and we still haven't introduced the assistant coaches or at the very least added them to the website. 30 days.

If we haven't been able to complete their contracts, which is why they aren't announced, how is that acceptable?
Please .... CCSU took 70 days to announce our new head coach from the time DM stepped down. Although he remained on contract until 4/15, it still took 30+ days to announce Patrick Sellers. I think this was the longest non-HBCU coaching search in the country this year. :(

I know that no one has it as bad as CCSU when it comes to State, University and Collective Bargaining policies, but I have to imagine that UMBC (and all public universities) still have some bureaucratic hurdles to navigate.

I even noticed that UConn's latest hiring included a rare disclaimer.
STORRS, Conn. – UConn men's basketball coach Dan Hurley has announced the hiring of Luke Murray as assistant coach, pending the completion of the university's employee onboarding process.
Luke Murray Joins MBB Coaching Staff - University of Connecticut Athletics

·
Registered
4,209 Posts

I wouldn't be too worried, considering the D-3 job one of your (presumed) assistants used to hold has been posted. Don't think he just up and quit.

·
Registered
8,500 Posts
We have some good FT shooters coming in. Salnave and Byrd are both 80% shooters. Add Rogers and Keondre and that’s a pretty good set of guards shooting FTs down the stretch of games.

·
Registered
116 Posts
So the roster has 15 kids on it. 2 walk ons in Thomas Reid and Brendan Davis. Looks like Sam Grace has been cut per Verbal Commits roster depth.

I’m worried the team is too guard heavy.
Rogers, Owens, Kennedy, Salnave, Byrd. Boonyasith & Picarrelli there as well.

Spas (defensive liability). Rico Quinton??? Wojcik and Nathan Johnson have looked like deer in headlights when on the court. Obeng-Mensah(6’7) and Garang(6’8) will need to make an immediate impact.

·
Registered
8,500 Posts
Sam Grace doesn't appear to be on VC at all (he wasn't listed at all). I don't know what that means generally but I don't think he was ever going to play for us.

I have no idea what's going on with Quinton.

I don't think we bring in someone like Yaw unless he's capable of starting right away.

·
UMBC fan
4,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #153 ·
So the roster has 15 kids on it. 2 walk ons in Thomas Reid and Brendan Davis. Looks like Sam Grace has been cut per Verbal Commits roster depth.

I’m worried the team is too guard heavy.
Rogers, Owens, Kennedy, Salnave, Byrd. Boonyasith & Picarrelli there as well.

Spas (defensive liability). Rico Quinton??? Wojcik and Nathan Johnson have looked like deer in headlights when on the court. Obeng-Mensah(6’7) and Garang(6’8) will need to make an immediate impact.
I think the plan is for YOM and Garang to play immediately - but Ferry is going to have to have a steady rotation of guards in his system. Also, in Odom’s first two years the only big who played consistently was Akin (Darley was an oversized guard) and that worked out just fine.

·
Registered
8,500 Posts
The only thing I would say about the 2016-18 teams was we were a much more prolific 3pt shooting team. So opponent 4s would have to go out on the wing to cover Will, Joe, or Arkel vs playing in the block. YOM isn't the shooter that these guys were. I simply don't know what Ferry is going to do with the way he's comprised the team.

·
UMBC fan
4,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #155 ·
This team definitely won't shoot it like those squads, but I don't think it's as dire as the '19 or '20 squads.

Rogers - 42% from 3 in 2019-20, 40% from 3 in 2020-21
Owens - 39% from 3 in 2018-19, 34% from 3 in 2019-20, 39% in 2020-21
Kennedy - 41% from 3 in 173 JUCO attempts, 23% in 133 D1 attempts
Salnave - 33% career, 36% junior season at Monmouth
Boonyasith - 37%/37%/32% in 3 seasons from 3
Byrd - 37% in both junior & senior HS seasons, 32% last season in D1

I feel that all six of these players can shoot it respectfully, and YOM, Johnson and Picarelli all have some prior experience seeing the 3 ball fall.

I do agree that I'd like to see another veteran shooter added in place of a player not listed, but Rogers-Owens-Salnave-Kennedy-Byrd all seem like good fits for what Ferry wants to do.

·
Registered
8,500 Posts
Maybe KJ/Jairus/Joe were anomalies at this level. I think even one kid that shoots low 40s from 3pt really changes the dynamic.

·
UMBC fan
4,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #157 ·
Maybe KJ/Jairus/Joe were anomalies at this level. I think even one kid that shoots low 40s from 3pt really changes the dynamic.
Only 10 players shot 39.5% or higher from 3 taking more than 2 attempts per game in the conference, three of them being Darnell, Eytle-Rock and Owens.

Of the 45 players with at least 2 attempts per game, the median percentage was 34.5%.

·
UMBC fan
4,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #159 ·
Okay so I need to adjust my expectations because we have had some really exceptional shooters recently.
'18-'19 we were bad from 3 aside from Sherburne and surprisingly Council - the rest were 33% or below. '19-'20 shot 31.7% as a team. So I think you're right in thinking recent memory, but last season the backcourt trio was really solid from the perimeter. I'm also holding out hope Kennedy finds the JUCO touch from 3 this season.

·
Registered
8,500 Posts
True and even Joe was down from his previous years. That’s a good point. Really it was just Darley’s last year through the end of the following year.

141 - 160 of 189 Posts