Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
I noticed via Verbal Commits UMBC offered NESCAC POY and D3 First-Team All-American Sam Peek from Wesleyan. Also offered a guy on Bentley who was second team NE10 and shot 43% from three (Colton Lawrence). Not a terrible strategy to get some play up grad transfers...if the big boys are going to take some of the low majors better players, might as well go for guys who possibly matured into low major D1 guys from D2/D3. I asked someone (you can guess from where) on Peek said he's an undersized big but shoots well enough from all levels he could carve out a role in the AE. Looks like if you look around the twitter recruiting world he's getting some interest elsewhere, but we'll see how it all goes.

·
UMBC fan
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Scholarship players that have not been involved with rumors of leaving:

G Jacob Boonyasith
G Matteo Picarelli
G Tre Edwards
F Anyang Garang

Incoming players signed:

G Dion Brown
G Mason Docks (Verbal)

Scholarship players that may come back:

F Yaw Obeng-Mensah
F Szymon Wojcik
F Nathan Johnson (in portal)

At the least, four more roster spots open, possibly seven! A lot of work to do...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Kennedy and Rogers hit the portal last year and came back to a new coach. Kennedy and Owens in the portal now.

Lots of graduating, 4th years and 5th years on the team last year. Ferry has a big test ahead of him.

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
From the list of schools that are talking to Keondre, there's no way he's coming back (Missouri Valley, Mountain West, etc). In fact, he's not on our roster anymore which is weird. I guess he confirmed he's leaving but why remove him from the 21-22 team?

If Nathan Johnson wants to use hoops to go to an elite grad school then there's no way he's coming back. I don't know what schools have reached out to LJ yet (I have less than zero inside information). Talk that Szymon misses his girlfriend and might move back home. Talk that Yaw also is thinking about leaving.

I think losing Yaw and Szymon will really hurt if the others go too. We would be reliant upon Garang and Edwards in the frontcourt as starters and they're both essentially freshmen who missed all of last season due to injury. If Yaw and Szymon return, I could see them starting with a lot of shared minutes with Garang and Edwards.

Backcourt is also a bit of a challenge but Boonyasith can at least start. I don't know if Matteo is ready to be the starting PG yet but if he makes a leap over the summer like Nathan did last year then I could see him starting. Mason Docks looks really promising. I haven't seen much on Dion Brown yet.

The D2/D3 players we've offered come from NCAA Tournament teams (Wesleyan and Bentley) and could step into the starting lineup right away.

I think what concerns me is that we are looking at eight departures: Kennedy, Owens, Rogers, Wojcik, Spasojevic, Johnson, Byrd, and Obeng-Mensah (if rumors are accurate).

If Ferry has us at .500 next year, it's going to be a miracle if all those players do in fact leave.

·
UMBC fan
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Current roster (as of 4/20)

Gr. G Jacob Boonyasith
Gr. F Jarvis Doles
Gr. G Colton Lawrence
Sr. F Yaw Obeng-Mensah
Jr. G Matteo Picarelli
So. G Tre Edwards
So. F Anyang Garang
Fr. G Dion Brown
Fr. G Mason Docks (Verbal)

4 spots still available. Need a point guard quite badly, hopefully more 3 point scorers.

·
Super Moderator
6,909 Posts
Current roster (as of 4/20)

Gr. G Jacob Boonyasith
Gr. F Jarvis Doles
Gr. G Colton Lawrence
Sr. F Yaw Obeng-Mensah
Jr. G Matteo Picarelli
So. G Tre Edwards
So. F Anyang Garang
Fr. G Dion Brown
Fr. G Mason Docks (Verbal)

4 spots still available. Need a point guard quite badly, hopefully more 3 point scorers.
Was he given a redshirt due to his injury?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts