Gr. G Colton Lawrence
Gr. F Tra'Von Fagan
Sr. F Yaw Obeng-Mensah
Jr. G Matteo Picarelli
So. G Tre Edwards
So. F Anyang Garang
Fr. G Dion Brown
Fr. G Mason Docks (Verbal)

3 spots still available. Still need a point guard quite badly, hopefully more 3 point scorers.

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
I'm still holding out hope we can sign Sam Peek from Wesleyan but Tra'von seems like he's going to be a backup. His video is surprising how small he plays at 6'8".

I agree though, we desperately need another couple of guards.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I think that UMBC will need one to two more guards, would be great for UMBC if Owens sticks around. I have not seen Edwards play in a long time and have never seen Anyang Garang play at all , but based on what Ferry said multiple times both would have competed for starting spots last season (according to the play by play guys). I think they need three impact guys, at this point they can let Johnson go as they loaded up on two big guys who can both shoot and block shots in Doles and Fagan. I think if UMBC adds two guards and a go to guy (one of which can be Owens coming back), they will be good again next year. The roster and Ferrys style certainly could use a big time scorer to transfer in.

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
Nick Lorensen posted on Twitter that he talked to Nathan Johnson and that Nathan's potential destinations are Citadel, Northern Colorado, and Campbell. Am I crazy to think that his Masters from UMBC would be more valuable than one from Campbell? I can't help but think that there's some sort of cultural shift going on there. I don't know if he's more of a hardass than Odom was or is simply more demanding in a different way.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Nick Lorensen posted on Twitter that he talked to Nathan Johnson and that Nathan's potential destinations are Citadel, Northern Colorado, and Campbell. Am I crazy to think that his Masters from UMBC would be more valuable than one from Campbell? I can't help but think that there's some sort of cultural shift going on there. I don't know if he's more of a hardass than Odom was or is simply more demanding in a different way.
Don't doubt a cultural shift from Odom to Ferry, and it's probably to be expected that holdovers wouldn't stay. But I think you have to realize these guys really aren't looking for their grad degrees. 70-75% of them don't even get them in their extra years; so most don't actually look at academics at all when making their decision. They just want to go somewhere that makes them feel special again and love doing the recruiting process over again after a couple years at a school. I get it, it's nice to get attention like that. Not putting this on Johnson, but generally speaking it's the same reason you see guys go in the portal one year, and then are right back in it the next after being at their new school for a year and still get a bunch of schools talking to them. It's a dopamine hit, and so long as there are enough coaching who think they can add this guy or that guy and that things will be different here, you're going to see that sort of approach happen, with less players really caring about what their academic experience is like at all.

·
UMBC fan
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I'm struggling with the roster composition (as of today). Who is going to run the offense? Doles, Fagan, Obeng-Mensah, Garang and Edwards all seem like wings or forwards that can't shoot?

What is the plan here..

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
I haven't seen any video of Garang and Edwards so I have no idea about them but it does seem like we have five bigs, a couple of off-guards, and two point guards (one is a freshman).

The situation is making me very nervous.

·
UMBC fan
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I haven't seen any video of Garang and Edwards so I have no idea about them but it does seem like we have five bigs, a couple of off-guards, and two point guards (one is a freshman).

The situation is making me very nervous.
Thinking about what Ferry wants to do, specifically, it doesn't make sense. I'd expect him to target quick, 3-point minded guards but so far, aside from two freshman, nobody really seems to fit that mold. Boonyasith is best catch-and-shoot, and Lawrence also seems to be a primary catch-and-shoot player.

·
Premium Member
34,222 Posts
UMBC has 5 bigs, UVM has Dylan Penn, Sullivan, Duncan, Deloney- sounds like we just combine teams to appease both fan bases.

Reactions: djump32

·
UMBC fan
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
UMBC has 5 bigs, UVM has Dylan Penn, Sullivan, Duncan, Deloney- sounds like we just combine teams to appease both fan bases.
I rather have an abyss of guards than forwards that can't shoot. We also don't know what Garang or Edwards can do, whatsoever. Maybe that leaves open the possibility they're outstanding, but I'm not optimistic about that.

On the other hand, it seems apparent what Foles and Fagan can do. And they aren't bad players, but it seems apparent they need to be role players to be most effective.

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
Doles and Fagan could well be effective bench players for 10 or so minutes a night. But neither can really shoot so unless their defense is better than what I've seen, I'm struggling to see how they fit in with what we know about our offense.

I find it really hard to understand why it's been so difficult to recruit shooters at UMBC for the last four years.

·
Gr8t Dane
868 Posts
Doles and Fagan could well be effective bench players for 10 or so minutes a night. But neither can really shoot so unless their defense is better than what I've seen, I'm struggling to see how they fit in with what we know about our offense.

I find it really hard to understand why it's been so difficult to recruit shooters at UMBC for the last four years.
Doles is hit or miss. He was much better in 20-21 than 21-22, but there were a few games he got hot from outside and ran the game. As a big, he was pretty soft when it came to rebounding, as evidenced by a non-starter that played under 20mpg for Albany led the team in rebounding, but when he is on he can really spread the floor for you. We will miss him in Purple and Gold.

That said, I think he is best suited coming off the bench and letting him shoot a few. If he has it that night, play him 30 minutes. If he doesn't, give him 5-10.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Don't doubt a cultural shift from Odom to Ferry, and it's probably to be expected that holdovers wouldn't stay. But I think you have to realize these guys really aren't looking for their grad degrees. 70-75% of them don't even get them in their extra years; so most don't actually look at academics at all when making their decision. They just want to go somewhere that makes them feel special again and love doing the recruiting process over again after a couple years at a school. I get it, it's nice to get attention like that. Not putting this on Johnson, but generally speaking it's the same reason you see guys go in the portal one year, and then are right back in it the next after being at their new school for a year and still get a bunch of schools talking to them. It's a dopamine hit, and so long as there are enough coaching who think they can add this guy or that guy and that things will be different here, you're going to see that sort of approach happen, with less players really caring about what their academic experience is like at all.
This makes a lot of sense. With all of these guys in the portal, by definition a lot of them are going to end up making lateral moves. Movement for the sake of movement in many cases. Not to knock our new UVM transfer, but it’s kind of indicative. There’s a guy who averaged a point and a rebound at a bottom half A10 team and we’ve got 3PM announcements, thrones, tigers, etc.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts