Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
141 - 160 of 168 Posts

· Registered
389 Posts
It's not easy to replace Ryan Odom, but so far so good in the Ferry regime.

Would love the defense to tighten up more but otherwise, Ferry and Odom were heavy in the setting up the offense for the best possible shot (most of the time being a 3).

· UMBC fan
4,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·
I love watch Keondre Kennedy play basketball. He and UNCG are playing VMI tonight - he’s at 9 early in the second half.

However, sometimes I’ve even frustrated with UNCG’s spacing and the way it creates challenges for Kennedy’s game.

· Super Moderator
7,282 Posts
I love watch Keondre Kennedy play basketball. He and UNCG are playing VMI tonight - he’s at 9 early in the second half.

However, sometimes I’ve even frustrated with UNCG’s spacing and the way it creates challenges for Kennedy’s game.
That’s an interesting take. When we played them, it seemed like they couldn’t put distance from us despite Kennedy’s best efforts. It took his last second block to seal the win for them.

· UMBC fan
4,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
That’s an interesting take. When we played them, it seemed like they couldn’t put distance from us despite Kennedy’s best efforts. It took his last second block to seal the win for them.
They have three bigs that play minutes and Keondre’s ability to get into the lane is often clogged up by their presence. In some games I’ve watched he’s mostly just been relegated to shooting long 3’s.

· Registered
9,063 Posts
Surprisingly, Samford is leading the Southern Conference right now at 5-0. Nathan Johnson is producing about the same as he did at UMBC but not shooting as well (which I'm assuming is because the Southern Conference is tougher than the AEast).

· UMBC fan
4,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #147 ·
Other updates:

LJ Owens is averaging 10.7 PPG on a 9-7 Delaware squad, but shooting just 30.6% from 3.

Hakim Byrd is scoring 10.7 PPG at D2 Jefferson with Randy Monroe, shooting 41/33/85.

At D3 Salisbury, former walk-on Brendan Davis is averaging 6.8 PPG for the Seagulls.

· UMBC fan
4,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #148 ·
UMBC has won 10 of 12 after today's win against Hartford. 9 of the 10 wins were by 7+ points, 8 by 8+ and 5 by 12+ points.

This team has its flaws, and no player is a 'standout' star alone. But what a fun few months it's been since that Princeton game. Would love to see them hit 20 wins and earn some postseason play.

· UMBC fan
4,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 ·
I don’t like how our defense plays but Ferry has the team playing well. Need to beat UVM and Lowell now.
Yeah, 325th in defensive efficiency (KenPom) compared to a very impressive 83rd in offense. The defense had made good progress in December, but has seemed to fall back off in conference play. If we're scoring 85 PPG it'll be good enough, but that's a high bar to continue reaching.

· Registered
389 Posts
With respect to the (#213) UMBC season thus far, our worst KenPm loss was Georgetown.

Losses

(#43) Maryland
(#80) Tulane
(#94) Princeton
(#121) UNC Greensboro
(#168) Vermont
(#230) Georgetown

Wins

(#184) Bryant
(#246) Morgan State
(#257) Lafayette
(#276) Lehigh
(#289) William & Mary
(#312) Maine
(#316) Coppin State
(#325) Albany
(#327) Central Connecticut State
(#337) Loyola (MD)
(#349) Columbia
(#363) Hartford
Penn-State York

· UMBC fan
4,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #156 · (Edited)

"I messed up often, honestly,” Brown said. “I always just had an older guy … ‘Hey, next time do this or do it this way.’ So I’ve just always had someone who’s older to really just guide me along the right path, which made it so easy to get back. I feel like I’m almost the same age. Obviously, I’m not, but I feel like we’re all just brothers and together regardless of age and we all just pick each other up and help each other out.”

With a lot of roster turnover Brown will be crucial to the team's continuity and success next year, for sure. Sounds like he's learning a lot from such a veteran group.

· UMBC fan
4,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #158 ·
Question for All - Is this the most deep of a roster UMBC has had, even in comparison to the 2017-2018 squad? Feels like they consistenly go 8-9 players deep.
Last year if including Spasojevic and Byrd we at time went 10 deep, with 8 players solidily in the rotation.

What makes this year different, I think, is we have 0 players averaging 30 minutes per game, whereas last year Keondre and LJ were north of 30, and Rogers just below. The minutes are a bit more spread among our top 8, for sure. But, we are missing having the go-to, 35 minute players our best teams have had.

· Registered
9,063 Posts
Question for All - Is this the most deep of a roster UMBC has had, even in comparison to the 2017-2018 squad? Feels like they consistenly go 8-9 players deep.
We have eight players averaging more than 6ppg this season. We had eight last year. In 2017-18 we only had five. In 2012-13 we only had four.

In 2004-05 we didn’t have a single player average double figures. Mein Gott!

Most years we have had six players averaging more than 6ppg.

· UMBC fan
4,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #160 ·
We have eight players averaging more than 6ppg this season. We had eight last year. In 2017-18 we only had five. In 2012-13 we only had four.

In 2004-05 we didn’t have a single player average double figures. Mein Gott!

Most years we have had six players averaging more than 6ppg.
Looking at minutes per game and remembering that Darryl Proctor and Jay Greene each averaged 39 minutes+ per night in 2008-09 is wild.

141 - 160 of 168 Posts