Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any report from New Hampshire from someone who was there yet?

For the record, the girls game was 65-54 UNH here.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I was at the game.

UNH played like they were comatose in the first half and were down 11 at the break. Went down 14 early in the 2nd and came all the way back to take a 3 point lead on some great shooting by Blagoj Janev and good energy by Shejdie Childs and the whole team.

Teams that lose a lot find a way to lose and UNH did that tonight. Let a UMBC team that was struggling to score the whole second half score the final few points. Big play in my opinion was UNH forgetting to box out the biggest guy on the court (Housman?), with a little over a minute to go and he gets a wide open putback to tie the game back up. Janev misses a wide open 8 footer and Craig Walls misses a jump hook in the final minute or so to allow UMBC's Gogerty to hit the game winning three.

Extremely disappointing. They really should have had this one and if they played fundamental basketball in the final two minutes. They find a way to lose!!! Can't happen!

Janev had 21 points, including a baseline drive and dunk on #25's head and Shejdie Childs and Bullock had 10 apiece. UNH had a season low 7 turnovers. Iannis Karalis got off the bench for the first time in 3 or 4 games and hit the go ahead three with a few minutes to go for UNH.

I was not overly impressed with UMBC, they are not too talented, but they take good shots and do a pretty good job taking care of the basketball. They also have good size and the point guard Gogerty is a heady player who knows his strengths.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
So Professor Knowitall, who do you think SHOULD be taking all those shots for UNH????????

I was at the game, were you? He was the one getting open within the structure of the offense. He was the one going to the rack when opportunity presented itself. He was the one who could get a shot off without needing multiple seconds. Will was right on the money, there is no comeback from the 16 point deficit without Janev's shooting.

Also agree with Will that boxing out was a problem. I recall one play where Housman had three rebounds on the same possession. Saw a couple of plays where no foul was called for over the back because the UNH player just didn't have good box out position. And speaking of fundamentals, how about foul shooting.

Why did I read the stuff about UMBC being too small? They were a good sized team -- seven guys 6'6" and over! And they weren't string beans either!! Pretty solid guards in Kareem Washington and Rob Gogerty. Gogerty in particular killed UNH with treys especially off high screens at the top of the circle.

Very, very frustrating game and to add to the pain the next stop is Burlington on a VERY cold day!

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Yes, the foul shooting was pretty atrocious most of the game as well.

And boxing out has been a big problem the last few games. I am no great basketball mind, but everyone knows that in order to rebound you have to put a body on somebody instead of just getting situated where you think the ball is going to come off the rim. Well right now all the UNH players are positioning themselves where they think the ball is going to come off the rim instead of putting a body on someone first. Often one of the other team's big men is left completely alone. Complete lack of fundamentals! How does the coach let this happen game after game? How can you win like this?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts