Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The best basketball program in the country period. Best team this season so far. Come and discuss Tar Heel basketball as we work towards yet another national title.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Damn this thread started a downward spiral for the Heels, even further proof my teams never win jack ****.

Anyways nice win over Miami tonight. Hansbrough played great especially in the first half. Everytime I mention Harangody being better than him, he always makes me look like an idiot. I'll just say i'm glad both of my favorite teams have great post players.

Ellington's shooting display in the second half was something else. Lawson ran the team really well. Offensively we got the ball inside when Hansbrough, Thompson, or Davis had position. Thats always nice to see. That opens things up for everyone else. Green continues to play well. He didn't stand out a whole lot in any statistical category but he played pretty good defense, and distributed the ball very well.

Defensively the effort the last 5 minutes or so of the first half through the rest of the game was superb. We acted like we cared instead of going through the motions.

Miami isn't necessairily a great team but this is something to build on. We need to keep up the defensive intensity we showed in the latter part of the game, and continue to work the offense from the inside on out. If we do that I feel we can finish the season where we want it to in, and that is cutting down the nets in Motown. Long ways to go however but 2-2 in the ACC is a hell of a lot better than 1-3 or 0-4.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ginyard is out for the year, damn that hurts really bad. I'm very skeptical about our defense entering March.

·
Premium Member
69,618 Posts
Final four and maybe a good matchup can get us in the finals without Ginyard

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Final four and maybe a good matchup can get us in the finals without Ginyard
I agree totally. However if we were to run into a guard who is just playing lights out we could be in trouble. There aren't many like Teague or Rice across the country but the further we get into the tourney the more likely we face one of these types of players.

·
Super Moderator
21,879 Posts
I hate UNC with a passion.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
boooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Yo HB our recruiting class coming in next fall is filthy. 5* SF/PF John Henson, 5* PG Dexter Strickland 4* PF twins in David and Travis Wear, and 4* CG Leslie McDonald. Yep we just keep reloading.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We have our opening round games in Greensboro, North Carolina which is basically a home game. We open against Radford which we should win. I'm trying to take this one game at a time seeing as how I always look too far ahead when my teams are actually good. If we win we would play the winner of Butler and LSU. Butler would be a game I feel real confident about. They are well coached but they are young. In a home environment for us with Ty back I can't see us losing that game. LSU scares me though. They play great defense and they have some guys who can light it up from outside. They are also a senior laden team which means they are less likely to be intimidated in Greensboro. Future matchups that scare me are Gonzaga and Syracuse. Gonzaga not as much but if they get hot shooting they will be a tough out. Syracuse scares me big-time. They have a couple of legitimate bigs inside, they have shooters, and they have two guys who can pass the ball really damn well. That could be a great matchup between the two teams.

Anyways Psycho T it's your time holmes, lets get this ring!

·
Premium Member
69,618 Posts
I saw the Wear twins on Prep Academy, they look really solid. I am not sold on Zeller just yet.

I am worried about our tourney chances. Backup point guard is really bad. Drew's not there just yet. Also Ginyard's loss is tough, because any team with a high scoring wing player will give us problems. Still we should get to the final four this year.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am worried as well but I got hopes. If we can get the ball inside to T and hit our shots we should be fine. I hope we stay injury free.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not exactly easy but it's definitely not as hard as others. We have lost to teams that play good defense and have a guard capable of taking over the game. LSU, Gonzaga, Syracuse, and Arizona State all fit that bill. I think were a better team than all of those 4 teams but all it takes is one off game and your done.

·
Premium Member
69,618 Posts
I dont know too much about Mcdonald's game, what can he do?

So I watched Kemba run wild on Missouri and I am thinking damn if Drew plays like that we are golden. Drew's just as fast, he's just not as skilled as Walker.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I dont know too much about Mcdonald's game, what can he do?

So I watched Kemba run wild on Missouri and I am thinking damn if Drew plays like that we are golden. Drew's just as fast, he's just not as skilled as Walker.
He is 6'4" and a combo guard. More of a two at this point and with Dexter, Drew, and Kendall Marshall coming in 2010 thats where he will play. He can handle really well, and score in bunches. Will assume the Danny Green role as a primary scorer off the bench (although that may be a year or two from now) and starting when that time comes.

When it comes to Larry I have always been high on him. I wouldn't call him particularly fast but he has a pretty good package of skills. His handle is very good, and he can really shoot the ball well. I'm kinda thinking he could fall into the Quentin Thomas role (albeit much better than Q was) because Dexter Strickland is just really damn good but if he starts I wouldn't be mad. All I can say is once the '09 class gets settled in we will see very little drop off from the past few years.

Tomorrow has me nervous as always but I really don't see how Oklahoma is going to defend us. Crocker isn't scoring 28 again, and if we can go inside early and often we could get the Griffin's in foul trouble which would all but do it for the Sooners. With the way Ty is playing I can't see us losing. I'm hopeful he keeps his level of play up.

·
Premium Member
69,618 Posts
If we can stop Blake down low we win the games. They dont want to run with us so Blake's high flying dunks and lobs might be out of the question. Its preventing him from getting offensive rebounds and making those quick spin moves in the lane that will be key. Or better yet, get him in foul trouble. Crocker and Johnson wont go off against us, they will be too busy chasing Ellington, Green and Lawson.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Congrats Bball and HB.

Even though you guys personally didn't do anything..

I am anticipating a UConn-UNC championship. That should be good.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It shall be a good contest next Saturday. I'm hoping we don't leave Motown empty handed.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We are national champs:champagne::champagne::champagne:

Congrats to our seniors Tyler, Danny, JB Tanner, Jack Wooten, Patrick Moody, and Mike Copeland. If i'm not mistaken Ginyard and Frasor will be back next year.

Here's what the roster should look like next fall:

PG: Larry Drew/Bobby Frasor
SG: Dexter Strickland/Will Graves/Leslie McDonald
SF: Marcus Ginyard/John Henson
PF: Deon Thompson/Travis Wear/David Wear
C: Ed Davis/Tyler Zeller

Many of the spots will be determined during the summer and practice. Should be some good competition for spots.

We should be pretty good next year. I don't know if we will be in the title hunt, but we could be a sweet 16 type team. If we can keep people in school we are a year away from another possible run at a title.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts