Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
69,618 Posts
Great feeling, too bad its back to reality now. We are loosing a lot, but maybe we can replicate what Self did with Kansas this season. We are more talented than their present team though, but play in a much tougher conference.

·
Premium Member
69,618 Posts
Their other sports suck, actually Soccer did well and football was on the come up this year

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I don't root against their teams. Butch Davis has their football program on the rise, and i'll root for them when they aren't playing ND.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
We have 2 commitments so far for 2010 in 5* SG Reggie Bullock, and 4* PG Kendall Marshall. Bullock is 6'8" athletic, and super skilled while Marshall is a PG with a feel for the game beyon his years. I don't know about next year but 2010-2011 we should be a prime national title contender.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Harrison Barnes is a Heel, and we beat out Duke for him. :bowen:

We are 3-0 this year, but we have looked sloppy. Too many turnovers and the guard play is suspect. I'm excited to see how we play against Ohio State tonight. That should be a good measuring stick of where we are at right now.

·
Premium Member
69,618 Posts
Dont know why Roy got so many big guys, its almost embarrassing. Defensively though, we are a nightmare for opposing teams.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
is there a more worthless sport than college basketball? I am sorry, but I don't give two ****s. Now wake me up in March and tell me what mid majors to place my $$ on.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Syracuse worked us. This is not a final 4 team, our team just has a ways to go to be a top 5 team. The guards stink. Marshall, Bullock, and Barnes cant get here fast enough.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
Game tonight against Nevada. Going to be a tough game IMO. Well coached and Babbitt, Fields, Johnson, and Shaw are all very good players. We should win, but I expect it be tough.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Another loss today on a neutral court, this time to Texas. Very sloppy game from us, our youth showed today. Texas is the deepest team in the country and a legit national championship contender so losing a "road" game is nothing to hang our hats on. I'm just disappointed at how sloppy it got.

I'm officially on the bandwagon for starting Strickland at point guard. Another pretty good showing against top competition (UK and Michigan State games he also played well). He just fits the profile for a Roy Williams point guard. Athletic, smart, can get to the rim at almost will I just think it makes way too much sense. I'm not against Drew, but I feel Strickland gives us the best chance to win these big games going forward. Drew is a pretty good passer, but he has looked pretty bad at times against the better teams on our schedule. Maybe it's still too early to make this judgment, but I think Strickland is our best PG at this point.

4 non-conference games before we open with Virginia Tech. Marshall and Rutgers could be games that are closer, but if we lose any of the 4 I would start to get pretty worried about this team.

Harrison Barnes looked outstanding on TV the other night. 26 points, 13 rebounds, 6 assists, and 5 steals. He does everything rebounds, passes, handles the ball, scores, defends he is a five tool basketball player. He plays under control, and he has a high basketball IQ. He is going to be a special player in Chapel Hill.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Well we are not going to the tournament. Very disappointing season, but I'm very optimistic for next season. With the promise Henson and Zeller showed combined with the recruits coming in I feel we will definitely make the tournament next year. As long as we accomplish that I will be happy.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Uh **** a NCAA tournament, the NIT is where it's at.:whiteflag:

Semifinals tonight @ 9:00 against Rhode Island. Hopefully I will be awake to watch it and hopefully we can take this tournament for a great spring board into next year.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Ended up losing the NIT finals to Dayton, disappointing finish to a tremendously disappointing year.

Ed Davis entered the NBA draft. Can't say I blame him, as he is a lottery lock at this point. Best of luck to him in the NBA!

The Wear twins transferred out, while Drew looks like he is going to stick it out. So our roster looks like this for next season:

PG: Larry Drew/Kendall Marshall
SG: Dexter Strickland/Reggie Bullock/Leslie McDonald/Justin Watts
SF: Harrison Barnes/Will Graves
PF: John Henson
C: Tyler Zeller

Our backcourt has a lot of depth, and a lot of burger boys. I would expect the guards to make a complete 180 from last year. I think we will see Drew, Marshall, Strickland, Bullock, and Graves to get the bulk of the playing time. Barnes will obviously give us a star player at the small forward spot.

We have zero depth in the post. Henson, and Zeller are going to log a ton of minutes (unless Roy inks someone last minute). If they are in foul trouble we are going to have to have Graves and Barnes guard players in the post. This is going to cause us a ton of trouble. I really wish the Wear twins would have stuck around for at least another year.

I think we have a tournament quality roster next year. This is not a final four team, but they should make the tournament (especially if the 3 freshman live up to their hype). If we can keep Henson and Barnes through the 2011-2012 season that will be our next best shot at a national title.

·
And Justise For All
64,265 Posts
I used to like UNC (2nd favorite team) but after that bull**** ending against URI, I've lost any respect for them. To this day I still get pissed about that blown call.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
I lost respect for UNC for the circumstances that led to the hiring Roy Williams. I like Roy, but the way he was hired was sketchy.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
A bunch of punk 18 and 19 year olds getting their head coach fired (Matt Doherty). Oh well at least none of them did **** in the NBA

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
^^They got a ring though.

Marshall getting the starting nod over Drew finally. About time Roy.

This team though, more frustrating than last year. Barnes is a disappointment, although he could be a player in a couple of years. Zeller is too soft still, Henson hasn't put on any muscle, Drew still sucks. Losing to GT by 20 was an embarrassment, like the worst loss possibly ever under Roy Williams. He better get this team to the tournament this year or else his seat better be getting warm. We shouldn't lose any more than 4 conference games, the league is way down this year.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
15-5, 5-1 (ACC) tied for first in the ACC with Duke.

I love Marshall as our starting PG, he is going to be a good one. Barnes looked great yesterday against NC State, combined with his clutch play against Miami on Wednesday I think this kid is finally starting to get it.

We play at Boston College on Tuesday and Florida State at home on Sunday. If we can get two wins this week and enter Cameron Indoor at 17-5 and 7-1 in the league I would be ecstatic. This looks like a tournament team barring a major collapse. Next year I think we might be able to make some noise.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts