Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
McAdoo and Hairston are signed. We also received a verbal from a local NC kid named Jackson Simmons. 6'8" 200 pound kid with a bunch of mid-major offers. He does not look like much, but I'll trust Roy with this one. I don't know if we are done recruiting 2011 yet or not.

For 2012 we got our first commit from Marcus Paige a PG from Iowa. He did have offers from Illinois and Kansas so supposedly he is pretty decent.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Good riddance Larry Drew! His family has been extremely poor about handling this whole situation. Either way best of luck on your next stop Larry.

Kendall Marshall is the truth. 16 assists today, he is going to be really damn good by the time its all said and done. Roy needs to learn to keep recruiting these DMV guards. They want to play in Chapel Hill and they can actually hack it in his system. Even Strickland is starting to come around.

I'm really starting to think we can beat Duke on wednesday if we keep this up.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Sloppy win today, but a win is a win. 20-6 overall (10-2 ACC), I can live with that. I didn't see us in this position a couple months ago, but everything is coming together quite nicely.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Two double-digit victories this week. Now at 22-6 overall (12-2 ACC) with two regular season games left. It's safe to assume we are a tournament team, but we can't settle. Travel to Florida State Wednesday and host Duke on Saturday.

John Henson is a defensive nightmare. Six blocks against NC State and seven tonight against Maryland. He still desperately needs more muscle and to continue to improve his offensive game, but his defensive presence is huge. Definitely pleased with his improvement. Another year in Chapel Hill would do wonders for him, but at this stage he may be a lottery pick this year.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Yeah that's something he has to improve, his shot selection. With another year of work he could be an All-American. He is already a top 3-5 defensive anchor in the country.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Yeah buddy, ACC champs. 24-6 (14-2 ACC) and we beat Duke to claim the crown. The future is bright in Chapel Hill.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Lost in the Elite 8 today. Obviously I'm never happy with a loss, but this team exceeded my expectations this year. Next year should be a really good year for us yet again, especially if Barnes and Henson return. Final 4/National championship quality team for sure.

2011-2012 Rotation (if Barnes/Henson return):

PG: Marshall
SG: Strickland/McDonald/Bullock
SF: Barnes/Hairston
PF: Henson/McAdoo
C: Zeller

Extremely talented nine man rotation for us. A little thin in the front court, but as long as we stay healthy I think we can manage.

As far as improvements I would like to see:

-Barnes handle and becoming more consistent with his jumper
-Henson continuing to expand his offensive game
-McDonald and Bullock becoming more consistent outside shooters. I think this is the biggest key for the development of this team. If these two can consistently knock down outside jump shots we are going to be impossible to defend.

I'm very optimistic heading into next year. If Barnes/Henson depart I still think the talent is there for another Sweet 16 type run. After a year hiatus (if you will), Tar Heel basketball is officially back.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Watching PJ Hairston in the skills competition tonight and I had no idea the kid had that good of a jumper. Needs to get more consistent, but if he can knock down open jumpers with McDonald and Bullock this offense is going to be unstoppable.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
UNC is supposedly going to offer the 5th ranked player in the class of 2012 Mitch McGary.

·
Premium Member
69,618 Posts
Henson working on offense

Even after a muscle-aching weight-room workout this month, North Carolina junior John Henson - the reigning ACC Defensive Player of the Year - got back out on the court to show off some of the offensive improvements he's working on.

"I don't know if I'll ever be known as a quote, 'offensive guy,' " he said, his ever-present grin popping up, "but I think I can be known as being stable on the offensive end. ... My offensive goal is to just have a consistent shot to where I just keep the defender honest. That will open it up for (Tyler Zeller), open it up for Harrison (Barnes), and I think that will be what's best for the team."

Henson, a second-team All-ACC forward who averaged 11.7 points last season, has been putting up hundreds of shots each day in an effort to bolster the Tar Heels, who are expected to open the season with the No. 1 ranking. A 6-foot-10 junior, he has gained about 10 pounds since last season and weighs about 220.

Read more: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/07/18/2464625/henson-focuses-attention-on-improving.html#ixzz1SakHInnQ

41 - 60 of 71 Posts