Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Best game by bench all season. UVM wins 74-50.

·
Registered
505 Posts
When the intensity level is that high, I don’t think anyone in the league is going to beat us. The collective effort was excellent. Defense and rebounding leading the way.

Patella such a spark, and Deloney and Robin were fantastic as the second unit guards. And then Davis...how about those baby hooks in the lane. If he has that in the arsenal consistently going forward, it’ll be a huge weapon.

Really good effort against a team that is nowhere close to a pushover.

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
And UNH has their traditional long, quiet bus ride home. UVM is a steamroller. Kudos to Davis, Patella and Deloney for especially nice games.

·
Registered
435 Posts
UVM's depth is so darned impressive. Their B-squad would be a decent team (DeMuth, Powell, RDuncan, Patella and Deloney).

I know Davis is a backup but he plays starter minutes.

·
Premium Member
32,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
UVM's depth is so darned impressive. Their B-squad would be a decent team (DeMuth, Powell, RDuncan, Patella and Deloney).

I know Davis is a backup but he plays starter minutes.
We're getting so spoiled with how programmatic UVM seasons have become. We're entering the back half of conference play in early February, consistently playing KenPom 200 and 300 teams, and teams are rising and falling to their appropriate levels. Sure, we look like we have a ton of depth now because we're playing the New Hampshire's, Hartford's and Binghamton's and not the Yale's, UNC Greensboro's, and Cincy's of OOC play. No disrespect intended, just vastly different talent levels.

Is our depth so great? Or is it because it's AE conference play? Maybe some combination of both. I mean, nobody was saying how great our depth was in November/December- back then our depth looked like an area of weakness not a strength. Either way, it's great to see so many of our players improving as the season has gone on, most notably Ryan Davis.

·
Premium Member
32,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Bailey Patella may be one of my favorite ballers of all time.
Bailey Patella is the poster child for UVM players that may not get a lot of minutes early in their careers but if they stick with it can carve out a nice niche and role on the team. He's a kid that could have gone to a Stonehill or St. Anselm and been a 15ppg-17ppg scorer.

Patella makes his minutes matter as much as anyone on the roster, and you love to see good things happen for someone like this. Hope he's enjoying his time and his new, important role on the team because his energy is infectious. Looks like he's always having fun out there.

·
Registered
126 Posts
"Either way, it's great to see so many of our players improving as the season has gone on, most notably Ryan Davis."

It's been a delight to watch Ryan progress over the course of the season, and he's poised to make a run at all-conference next year. Still can't grow a proper beard though.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
We're getting so spoiled with how programmatic UVM seasons have become. We're entering the back half of conference play in early February, consistently playing KenPom 200 and 300 teams, and teams are rising and falling to their appropriate levels. Sure, we look like we have a ton of depth now because we're playing the New Hampshire's, Hartford's and Binghamton's and not the Yale's, UNC Greensboro's, and Cincy's of OOC play. No disrespect intended, just vastly different talent levels.

Is our depth so great? Or is it because it's AE conference play? Maybe some combination of both. I mean, nobody was saying how great our depth was in November/December- back then our depth looked like an area of weakness not a strength. Either way, it's great to see so many of our players improving as the season has gone on, most notably Ryan Davis.
While I generally agree with your analysis of "depth" vs "Strength of Schedule", another way to look at it is that the "depth" has been improving as the season is progressing. Players are learning the system, gaining confidence, and are being coached to their abilities.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I feel like it's an NCAA regulation that he has at least one steal and dunk a game. Great play tonight from the 2nd unit. Also Duncan Demuth lives!
Bailey Patella may be one of my favorite ballers of all time.
Bailey Patella is the poster child for UVM players that may not get a lot of minutes early in their careers but if they stick with it can carve out a nice niche and role on the team. He's a kid that could have gone to a Stonehill or St. Anselm and been a 15ppg-17ppg scorer.

Patella makes his minutes matter as much as anyone on the roster, and you love to see good things happen for someone like this. Hope he's enjoying his time and his new, important role on the team because his energy is infectious. Looks like he's always having fun out there.
After that second dunk Patrick Gym was the loudest it has ever been.

·
Premium Member
32,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
After that second dunk Patrick Gym was the loudest it has ever been.
Loudest Patrick Gym has ever been was 2004-05 AE Championship game against Northeastern, but I’m sure Bailey made Patrick erupt last night ;)

·
Registered
2,689 Posts

100% Yes, UVM has been playing well as of late, but they should. Yes, we'll get everyone's best game but we're still playing the bottom 2/3 of NCAA teams. As Becker says...I don't want the guys to get too high or too low. As soon as we play comparable talent, things are going to look much different and posters will be like, what happened?

and by the way, Davis has looked good but he will get owned by any legit, athletic center.

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
In a conference of comparable schools with similar access to basketball player and coaching talent, UVM has been at the top for nearly 20 years. It's not a great conference basketballwise but it is where we are.

In my opinion, it remains better for the school and the players to win in the AE than lose somewhere else.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts