Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Catamounts Improve To 7-0 In America East In Front Of First Sellout (3,228)
Of Season

Box Score: http://www.uvm.edu/athletics/mens_basketball/boxscores/012404.HTM

BURLINGTON, Vt. -- T.J. Sorrentine and Taylor Coppenrath combined for 33
points as streaking Vermont cruised past New Hampshire, 82-68, in America
East men's basketball at Patrick Gym Saturday afternoon.

The win for the Catamounts, in front of a sellout crowd on 3,228, was their
eighth straight overall as they improved to a perfect 7-0 in the America
East to equal their best-ever start in conference play matching the 2001-02
season. Vermont also won for the 10th straight time at home.

Sorrentine scored 14 of his game-high 19 points in the first half to pick
up for Coppenrath, the nation's third leading scorer, who was hampered by
two early fouls. The junior point guard opened the game strong hitting
three of his four three-pointers before the break. Vermont went nine-for-15
from beyond the arc in the opening 20 minutes as the Catamounts took
control of the contest with a 47-26 halftime lead.

"With Taylor (Coppenrath) in foul trouble early this win is a tremendous
testimony to the rest of the boys on the block," commented Vermont coach
Tom Brennan. "T.J. was really the difference, especially offensively,
keeping them on their heels the whole game. (Corey) Sullivan and (Alex)
Jensen also had big games off the bench, which is something that we've
expected from them for a long time. I think the year off really had an
effect on Alex, but he is a heck of a basketball player and he's really
starting to come around now."

Jensen, a transfer from Lehigh, had his best day as a Catamount with 13
points including three three-pointers. Sullivan also came off the bench to
add 12 points and five rebounds shooting a perfect four-for-four from the
floor, three-for-three from long range.

After the break, Vermont widened their lead to as many as 31 points before
a late Wildcats run made the final margin more respectable.

Sorrentine also had a game-high seven assists and Coppenrath went 11-for-12
from the foul line to finish with 17 points and seven rebounds. Germain
Njila and Martin Klimes each had a game-high eight rebounds as Vermont
out-rebounded New Hampshire, 44-41. The Catamounts also shot a season-best
52.4% from three-point range (11-for-21) and went 47% overall from the
field.

UNH (5-13, 1-7 America East) was led by Ronnie Dennis, who came off the
bench to score a team-high 17 while Ioannis Karalis chipped in with 12,
nine in the second half. Blagov Janev, another reserve, added 10 while
Craig Walls gathered a team-high seven rebounds.

The Catamounts (11-5, 7-0), alone in first place in the America East,
travel to Albany Wednesday (7:00pm; Radio: WVMT 620 AM). They return home
next Saturday hosting America East newcomer UMBC at 1:00pm.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Just got back from the game...as a UNH fan, don't have much to say except I don't know how UNH only lost by 14...it was 67-33 with about 10 minutes left in the game. UVM spent the last 5 minutes of the game trying to get fan-favorite/senior walk-on Jack Phelan hist first points of the year (possibly of his college career) but the guy couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat...0-4 from the stripe as well as several misses from all over the court in garbage time. Patrick Gym was packed and eveyone there (including me) wanted to see this kid drop one in, but he was really forcing up everything.

Coppenrath got 2 fouls 3 minutes in and sat most of the first half, but UNH couldn't capitalize and sat back in a zone while UVM drained three pointer after three pointer. Sorrentine seems to be back to form...he was sharp, as was Cory Sullivan off the bench. For UNH, I thought Dennis had a good game, he was able to penetrate successfully...the rest of the backcourt was unimpressive. Liddell looked good inside...I remember some nice rebounds and putbacks, but Walls was not his usual, dependable self...he still seemed pretty strong inside, but he missed a few bunnies that he usually makes. Oh, and I just can't wait 'til Kyle Petersen graduates.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Mildcat,

Did you come up to Burlington from the Albany area or are you closer to NYC? IIRC, you were also at West Point. Didn't realize there were any other UNH fans at the game. We were joking with the fans near us behind the UNH bench that the three of us were the UNH contingent! And one of the three was the bus driver! :laugh: :laugh:

You're right, there is nothing to say but UNH scored a lot in garbage time to make the score more respectable than it really was. UVM wisely rested their starters down the stretch.

When Walls going to the hoop got Coppenrath into early foul trouble, I thought UNH might have a chance. But UVM's perimeter game took over with great three point shooting by Sorrentine, Sullivan and Jensen. Must be nice to have so many weapons!

UVM definitely looked like the AE creme de la creme today!

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I saw it live. Janev impressed me. He is like a 6'8" Chris Mullen. Awkward, unathletic and slow but can play the game. He should get a lot more minutes.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I think Janev needs to reduce the fouls to get more playing time. Yesterday, he went to the bench with two fouls fairly early, somewhere around the 10 minute mark of the first half.

Nobody mentioned it, but the UVM fans shot holes in that theory about the weather keeping crowds down. It was BARELY over zero yesterday in Burlington and the wind was whipping pretty strong yet they still sold out! Very impressive, especially since eveybody has to pack in like sardines on those bleachers.

Really too bad Burlington doesn't have a larger arena because I'm sure they'd support the EOY Tournament!

·
Registered
245 Posts
UNH Alum-

I live in White Plains, so I don't make it to too many UNH games, but Army wasn't a bad trip. My in-laws live in Middlebury, VT and my father in law is a rabid UVM hoops fan so we scheduled a long ski-weekend around the UNH-UVM game.

Yeah, didn't see a whole lot of blue-n-white at the game. I was in row N behind the Vermont bench (father in law got the ticks). I was embarrassed for one kid I saw wearing a red UNH practice jersey with UNH player signatures all over it. My son and I were both wearing UNH shirts but we zipped up our jackets at some point...it was the cold, really!

I remember that sequence when Walls got past Jones and Coppenrath and Coppenrath got his 2nd. I think the score was tied at 6 and I was trying to temper my optimism...oh well. Janev makes some plays look so easy...and then 30 seconds later he does something and he looks so awkward. I don't know if you remember the play, he missed a three off the back rim and went flying into the crowd for the long rebound knocking down a couple players (I think that was his 2nd or maybe 3rd foul)...he looked like Tarzan swinging on a vine, he was so out of control. He is fun to watch, though.

Apparently, that was UVM's first sellout since the season finale two years ago. Someone said that UVM is planning a 7000 seat arena...any truth to that...anybody?

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't really have any inside information on a new venue. I can tell you I've heard rumors too. Most of the rumors have to do with need and our new AD's commitment excelling our althletic programs. I'm sure another UVM fan on this site might be more informed on this subject. I know it's been discussed.

On a side note, speaking of our new AD, I saw Mike Gilligan at the game (former hockey coach).

I have another question to the UNH guys. I remember years ago, at least 3 or 4, there was a freshman with the last name Williams on UNH, what happened to him? He only played one year but was probably the most talented player I've seen in a UNH uniform.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Originally posted by <b>drunkidiot</b>!
II have another question to the UNH guys. I remember years ago, at least 3 or 4, there was a freshman with the last name Williams on UNH, what happened to him?
Marcelle Williams. Freshman point guard during Phil Rowe's first year as head coach from Teaneck, NJ. I agree he was a huge talent for this level. I thought he could've been a great player had he stayed.

He had problems with Rowe his first semester sophomore year and was suspended from the team and transferred to Hampton University mid-year. Spent two years at the end of the bench there and is not playing this year (which should be his last year of eligibility). I still can't believe a talented player like him couldn't get any PT there. He must've lost his desire for the game or something. And I would love to know why he didn't bother to play this year. Maybe he graduated and just decided to move on from college. Kind of a sad story if you ask me.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, he's the one. It is a sad story as he looked like the start of something good for UNH. Thanks for responding.

·
Registered
4,229 Posts
UNH's talent

Originally posted by <b>Will</b>!

Marcelle Williams. Freshman point guard during Phil Rowe's first year as head coach from Teaneck, NJ. I agree he was a huge talent for this level. I thought he could've been a great player had he stayed.

He had problems with Rowe his first semester sophomore year and was suspended from the team and transferred to Hampton University mid-year. Spent two years at the end of the bench there and is not playing this year (which should be his last year of eligibility). I still can't believe a talented player like him couldn't get any PT there. He must've lost his desire for the game or something. And I would love to know why he didn't bother to play this year. Maybe he graduated and just decided to move on from college. Kind of a sad story if you ask me.

UNH also had a PG named Will Chavis that ended up after a roundabout career with Bobby Knight at Texas Tech. It's actually amazing some of the talent that the previous coach did recruit that ended up transfering to other venues.A shame as it would have been interesting to see what damage these guys could have done in the conference.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Yeah, but Jeff Jackson was a horrible game coach. The worst I've ever seen. No team he would've coached would've gone anywhere. He'll never be a head coach again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts