Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
Thanks for sharing - it's a nice piece!

No matter what people think of Herrion, it's amazing that out of 347 DI job brothers hold two of them!

Are there any other Brother combos as Head Coaches.

I know at UA we have a unique situation with Jacob a player and Jon an Ass't. on the same team.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,791 Posts

No matter what people think of Herrion, it's amazing that out of 347 DI job brothers hold two of them!

I know at UA we have a unique situation with Jacob a player and Jon an Ass't. on the same team.
Umm...you mean like in the Super Bowl?

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

You're right...I'd have to do more research but i know there is a father son combo:

Rick Pitino : Louisville
Richard Pitino: Florida International

Also there are brothers,

Sean Miller: Arizona
Archie Miller: Dayton

·
Registered
3,716 Posts

But of course! Right here in the AE (well, for a limited time, anyway). BU's Joe Jones, and his brother, Yale's James Jones.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hate to throw cold water on the Herrion brothers, but UNH was recently cited as one of the biggest disappointments in mid-major hoops this season:

http://nycbuckets.com/2013/01/mid-major-failures-the-worst-of-the-worst/
I don't necessarily disagree with this article, nor do I think anyone on this board would disagree that Herrion is a disappointment (many UNH Fans on here want him fired) but I really don't put too much stock into the source you are citing here.

This quote alone, " For all of the publicity given to the standout mid-major schools like Bucknell, Bryant, Middle Tennessee, and Stony Brook, just to name a few, I felt not enough attention has been given to the god-awful programs across the country." I give them no credibility, especially since Bryant has never been good until this season, and SBU I wouldnt consider a "standout" mid-major. Not to mention if you are highlighting 4 standout mid-major there are a dozen other schools I'd pick before these (Bucknell I'll give you)

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Yeah, what publicity does Bryant get, other than from the Smithfield Times-Picayune or something like that.

Sorry...let's bring it back to the "brothers" theme. Bryant coach Tim O'Shea's brother is Tom O'Shea, who currently is head coach at St. Johnsbury Academy, alma mater of Taylor Coppenrath and Tony Orciari.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
This quote alone, " For all of the publicity given to the standout mid-major schools like Bucknell, Bryant, Middle Tennessee, and Stony Brook, just to name a few, I felt not enough attention has been given to the god-awful programs across the country." I give them no credibility, especially since Bryant has never been good until this season, and SBU I wouldnt consider a "standout" mid-major. Not to mention if you are highlighting 4 standout mid-major there are a dozen other schools I'd pick before these (Bucknell I'll give you) - Blakely4Prez
Why do some UVM fans whine so much if UVM isn't named in an article. The guys says "just to name a few".

As good as UVM has been over the past DECADE and as good as they've been treated by the press I find it amazing how some UVM fans constantly need the spotlight or they go in attack mode.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The "publicity" on the mid-majors is focused on this season alone and Bryant has become one of the biggest mid-major stories in the area, thus they were briefly mentioned in a quick sentence as part of the post's intro. They've beaten Boston College, Lehgih (w/ McCollum), and Robert Morris on the road after winning only 2 games last season. 2 games! I think you're being really nitpicky, Blakey4Prez.

If you'd like, I can name some more standout mid-majors if it makes you feel better (expanding on "just to name a few"): Gonzaga, Creighton, Belmont, Albany, BYU, Southern, Lehigh, Wichita St., and yes Vermont! Feel better?

·
Bill Herrion anti-apologist
2,193 Posts
Was on the College Insider site to see if they updated the MMTop25. Check out the front story - the Herrion Brothers!

http://www.collegeinsider.com/college-basketball-videos/
Thanks for sharing, and it's not surprising to see. I've had the fortune to go to a number of Bill Herrion's pre-season events, and they're always great. You can tell the passion he has for basketball; I think he's a great motivator and a sincere, honest guy. You'll never hear an interview from him where he's not surprisingly and refreshingly honest.

I just think he's a poor fit for this program. He's gone as far as he can go here and it's time for a change.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Why do some UVM fans whine so much if UVM isn't named in an article. The guys says "just to name a few".

As good as UVM has been over the past DECADE and as good as they've been treated by the press I find it amazing how some UVM fans constantly need the spotlight or they go in attack mode.
1) Nobody mentioned UVM.

2) I wouldn't call NYCBuckets.com "press."

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
1) Nobody mentioned UVM.

2) I wouldn't call NYCBuckets.com "press."
This...

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I was actually not even referring to UVM but thanks for insinuating that and insulting me ��

So i was not whining, the way it was written it was saying perennial MM teams and I was thinking of teams like Wichita St., Gonzaga, Creigton, etc that are always top 5 of the Mid Major Top 25. UVM in good years doesn't see anywhere above 20 on that list so no I wasn't talking about UVM but thanks

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
I was actually not even referring to UVM but thanks for insinuating that and insulting me ��

So i was not whining, the way it was written it was saying perennial MM teams and I was thinking of teams like Wichita St., Gonzaga, Creigton, etc that are always top 5 of the Mid Major Top 25. UVM in good years doesn't see anywhere above 20 on that list so no I wasn't talking about UVM but thanks
Did you completely skip over the very first paragraph...second sentence in that article? Unless it was added after the original link, it was pretty clear. Anyway...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts