Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great way to start the season!

Big win over #1 Delaware before a sell-out crowd in Newark, Delaware! One of the great wins in the program's history.

UNH_Alum is at the game right now.

·
Registered
8,819 Posts
Good for him. Great win!......Good to see that UNH persevered despite possibly losing Granieri for the year with a knee injury. Poor Delaware......:laugh: :grinning:

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Great win, hostile environment....overrated CAA team :D

I think once UA and SBU actually give out rides, a A-Ten of the schools we talked about would be nice (even nicer if BU joined the ride).

NICE JOB UNH!!!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Congrats to UNH on this victory. There are a lot of people associated with Capital District High School football pulling for R. J. Harvey to have a sucessful year and it sounds like he got off to a great start.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I don't care what some of the UD folks said, the Tub was rocking last night -- 10 times the atmosphere compared to the UNH game down there two years ago! Complete sellout at 22.7K+, student section was packed with bloody thunder stix, all the UD faithful pumped celebrating the National Championship, small but vocal UNH contingent surprising the locals with U-N-H and De-fense cheers, etc.

I really haven't had a chance to think about it, but this was definitely a top five ever UNH football experience for me. The other games that jumped out at me were back-to-back season ending victories over ZooMass for Yankee Conference titles and D-2 playoff bids early in the Bill Bowes era. I wish all the folks who don't "get it" about football could have been at that game last night.

RJ Harvey had a big night and believe it or not actually took close to half a dozen snaps from center once Granieri went down. Some were saying shades of single wing football! He got charged with a fumble at the goal line that I never saw and was IMHO a late whistle. Talked with the UNH announcers after the game and they thought he had broken the plane for the TD and at worse case was down. RJ was really distraut (SP??) after the play and it took one assistant and the head coach to calm him down. By game's end I'm sure it was all forgotten.

Two outstanding catches by David Ball out of Vermont including the game winner (five total for 188 yards). A UD fan told me the game winning catch was against Bible, their big time transfer from Notre Dame.

Just in case you can't tell I'm still flying high! Not even the stressful traffic in Greater NYC could dent the euphoria!!!!

·
Registered
245 Posts
UNH Alum-

Were you at the 52-51 BU game for the Yankee Conference Championship ten years ago? I wasn't there, but I wondered how it compared...I'm sure it was more of a big time atmosphere in Newark, but other than that?

How bad do you think the Rutgers game will be?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Not trying to speak for UNH Alum In Conn, but I was there for the BU game. This win last week was probably the biggest for UNH since that one. The difference though is that this one against Delaware was the first game of the season, while the BU double overtime was the last game of the season and determined the Yankee Conference Champion and home field in the NCAA Tournament.

In both cases, I'm sure UNH was taken lightly. At the BU game, no BU fan in Boston that day was even thinking the Wildcats could win. Prior to the game, BU fans were trying to figure out who "they" were going to host in the NCAA first round. A great game, a great finish...as I remember it, the BU kicker hadn't missed an extra point all season when he missed the one in the second OT.

But Thursday's game was clearly one of the "big" ones in the last two or three decades.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Surprised BU was so confident...its not like they were generally a football power or anything. They were only three years away from losing the program altogether. And UNH had been solid for several years in a row (w/Sabb, Gordon, Bourassa, etc.)and lost only one game that season before Appalachian St.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Mildcat,

Sorry, I was out of the loop for a couple of days!

No, I wasn't at that BU game. Glad NHHoops chimed in with some feedback.

As for a top five experience, I based that on UD being ranked #1 at the time and beating them in Newark which is without doubt the best venue in the A-10. I'd never watched UNH play before such a large crowd and in such a great atmosphere. Also, with the difficult schedule and seven road games, it was great to start on a winning note. Also, UNH Football has been down the past few years and with this veteran team it was important to start well.

As for Rutgers, my general feeling is that the 22 additional scholarships at the 1A level give them a depth advantage that usually is evident in the 2nd half (see UConn-Murray State and W&M-UNC this past weekend). They are probably going to overlook UNH after their big win against Michigan State, but I'd feel a lot better with Granieri at the helm. No slight of Santos' ability, just a recognition of Granieri's experience and talent. I doubt Rutgers sees many QB's with Granieri's running and passing skills.

Before the season I was hoping that we could be 1-1 going into the W&M game and that has been achieved. So, Saturday will be enjoyed for the 1-A atmosphere in a 40K stadium and hopefully a solid effort by the Wildcats. BTW, there are alumni events at the game, brunch in the morning and a BBQ tailgate before the game. Will you be making the trip down to Exit 9?

·
Registered
245 Posts
UNH_Alum-

Sorry to say I won't be going (especially since UNH really has been actively promoting the game to alumni in my area)...my kids have some activities that afternoon and evening that I can't miss. I'll be going to the Dartmouth game on 9/25 and one game in Durham...not sure which one yet.

You'll have to root them on for me...I'd be curious to know what the UNH turnout will be like.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts