Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody see the game in person?

The Big Purple Growl attracted 3,700+ for the doubleheader, Albany women won the prelim. Great promotion by the Danes which I think should be copied by UNH for home doubleheaders with UVM and/or Maine. Albany fans, do you think a matchup with Stony Brook or Binghamton would approach a sell-out?

I was following the game on USA Today and I swear I saw that Albany had a big lead in the first half, something like 26-14. Reading reports today, it appears that UNH had that lead. Time to read the Albany paper as maybe it will shed some light.

Regardless, a well needed win by UNH to "stop the bleeding". Excellent shooting night by Marcus Bullock with 5 of 7 from the arc and a 19 point night. Just one of the problems/flaws with UNH as the previous game with BU was a two shot night (and they were both forced shots to beat the 35 second clock).

Noticed in the box score that Ben Sturgill played five minutes. Hopefully, he can stay healthy and finish out the season.

I think the bottom five teams are within two wins of each other so the last weeks of the season should be an interesting chase for that sixth spot and staying out of the "play in" games.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Well, hard to get excited with a win over Albany but any win is a good win for UNH this season. Looks like they did a pretty good job of spreading the offense around.

As bad as UNH has been, they still have a reasonable chance of finishing as high as 6th. Games coming up on the road against UMBC and Hartford (where they usually play well) and home against Stony Brook and Binghamton.

An interesting note. Of UNH's 6 wins this season, 5 of them have come on the road. Yet another reason to get the games the hell out of Lundholm! They play horrible at Lundholm!

I too was encouraged to see Sturgill back, albeit for only 5 minutes. Hopefully he'll be able to play much more than that the next few games as he gets back into shape.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Big Purple Growl

I was at the game as were virtually all the Albany fans who post here (at least the ones I know). Regarding who to schedule for Big Purple Growl, I think the marketing strategy is that we'll get bigger than average attendance against Binghamton or Stony Brook anyway, so we should schedule the Growl for a team that might not otherwise draw as well. The students come for the promotions, not for the rivalry.

Last night, the promotions included lottery drawings for residential life preferences in housing selections, a three-quarters court shot for a pick-up truck; a half court shot for a free semester's in state tuition; a shot for a spring break airline ticket and many other gift certificates to local restaurants and additions of cash to student account cards.

Also, at half time of the men's game, there was a very special ceremony dedicating the upgrades to the locker-room in memory of Steve Mulderry, the captain of our 1990 team, who died in the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001. A very moving ceremony with a touching speech by his mother about how the University and playing for Doc Sauers prepared him to go out into the business world. He was a vice-president at an equity trading company at the time of his death.

As for the games, I hope UNH fans won't take this the wrong way (because no one ever does that on this board), but the result was more a reflection of Albany's inabilities than it was on UNH's play or strategy. UNH did lead by 14 in the first half, not Albany. As has been documented many times over this season, Albany is playing with seven players. One, Todd Martin, who I still have high hopes for, is lost on defense, and in Albany's circumstances, where defense must be the priority, is unable to play many minutes. Another, Courtney Johnson, is left alone at the three point line and allows defenses to pack an extra defender on Levi Levine. Levi feels he has to carry the team and looks to create in situations where he has no legitimate opportunity. He has had more than his share of turnovers recently. The offense passes up shots early in possessions, often not to get a better shot, or worse, any shot later on

The best positive for UNH fans last night would be the play of Marcus Bullock. The worst negative would be their foul shooting. I did get some amusement by watching the UNH assistant (or associate) head coach who looked for a traveling call on every Albany possession for the first 6 minutes or so of the game, and worked the officials pretty good. Some official must have told him to cut it out, because as soon as he stopped, he never tried it again.

The basketball hi-lite of the evening for Albany fans was the play of the Women's team, who beat UNH for the first time since joining the league, and who for two consecutive games has set a record for its largest margin of victory. Fronting Mathias was very effective. The Albany women's team finally has some front court depth, enough to allow more aggressive defense on another team's star center and UNH (at least yesterday) didn't have another player who could step up. Dani Hutcheson had a lot of points for Albany, but received the ball in great position many times. Albany's ball movement was probably the best I've seen from an Albany team.

So, all in all, it was a good nite for attendance, for the women's team and for the locker room dedication ceremony, but an unenergetic showing by the men in a situation where a good showing could have led to greater fan support for the rest of the season.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
Will you're are so condescending?????

Well, hard to get excited with a win over Albany but any win is a good win for UNH this season. - WILL
It's not like UNH is Duke - I could have sworn UA was ahead of you in the standings coming into the game. If that's a fact maybe you should consider it an upset.:yes: :yes:

The difference on this night.......

1. is that UNH used 9 bodies for 10 + minute with no one playing more than 32 minutes. Albany played 5 guys 33+ minutes.

2. Bullock (5-7) and Karalis (3-4) combine for 8-11 from 3 pt land that great shooting accounted for 40% of your output.

Will, this was a good win for UNH over a team with an equal conference record not a team below UNH's level.

In fact UNH has had very little success against the Danes.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Will is great! Tough to get excited about beating Albany? Fact is Albany is a better team with 7 guy's in uniform. UNH played 11. Two of Albany's starters are walk-on's. Albany doesn't get blasted by 30 to a below average Hartford team at home!

Albany could not score! Albany got 21 offensive rebounds! They also shot 22/66 of which UNH had little to do.

Congrats to UNH for the win! Any road win is a good win. However, they are still the worst team in the AE! Very unimpressed with Janev!!!

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Re: Will you're so condescending?????

Originally posted by <b>Patch</b>!
It's not like UNH is Duke - I could have sworn UA was ahead of you in the standings coming into the game. If that's a fact maybe you should consider it an upset.:yes: :yes:
I know you were! Where do you get me being condescending? You are way too easily offended!

Basically, I'm not going to get excited over any one win right now since we've had such a bad season. That's all I meant. I'm not counting on more than one more win from UNH this season and I still expect Rowe to be fired after the season is over.

Albany fans, don't be so defensive! It's crazy how easily people take things the wrong way.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Statefan,

Thanks for all the great info on the Big Purple Growl. It has to be the #1 promotion in the AE and should be copied by everyone! While that would probably wreak havoc with scheduling because the women's games are usually just opposite site from the men, it would be well worth the havoc if crowds of 3,700 were the result! And I understand the marketing strategy and it makes sense. I'm just old school and like homecoming/winter carnival special type weekends to be with traditional opponents.

Patch,

I didn't elaborate in my initial post, but I thought this was a great win for UNH. We have been playing poorly, we were in last place in the conference, we had already lost at home to the Danes, we were 1-4 lifetime with the Danes, it was Big Purple Growl weekend with a great crowd, etc. All those things along with the ice and snow flying around kept me at home. So, no question that it was a wonderful, upset victory for the Wildcats!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Patch relax

... Is UNH seriously suppose to get excited with a win over Albany?

Will has giving up on the Wildcats (He thinks Rowe should be fired) and isn't going to get pumped up about a win over the depleted roster of the second worst team in America East.

A couple more wins and I'd say UNH fans might be back on board. Beating Maine Wed. would help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts