Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of any radio stations I could pick up on my computer that are carrying the game tomorrow night? Thanks and a Happy Thanksgiving to you and your families.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What do people on this board think? Can we keep it under twenty tonight? I checked out Friairs.com, I'll have to sign up for a membership to be able to listen to the game. I'm going to try and see if I can find another method to listen to the game, if not I ll pay my 6.99 for one game.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good point Mildcat! Let's hope for a close game or maybe the ultimate an upset win to start off the holiday season!

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ouch a 24pt lost. From reading the box score it looks like Janev had a good shooting night but everyone else didn't. Was anyone at the game and can provide some more insight. Crossing my fingers we can steal one this weekend.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Interesting - it looks like Blagov and Gibbs had decent games. Wonder if Christensen was in foul trouble - or perhaps he just had a really, really bad night (only played 23 minutes, and shot 3-13 from the field - ugh)? I also wonder if Odom is still in Herrion's doghouse - he only played 17 minutes.

Final score was about what I expected - now its on to Colgate (funny - we'll see a lot of the Raiders this weekend, as the football team hosts them in the first round of the I-AA playoffs as well).

Anyone have any ideas on what we can expect in Hamilton? I'm thinking of making a trip to Harvard on Wednesday night - anyone else going?

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
it was nice seeing Herion giving the start to Gibbs instead of vetrano. Gibbs produced too 4-9 10 points, 4 rebound (2 offensive), 2 blocks, a steal. hopefully him and anderson will continue to get the majority of the minutes at the guard position.

·
Registered
245 Posts
From the boxscore it looks like they played three guards most of the game. When you've got three guards on the floor + Blogs and Christensen (who seem to always want to shoot from the perimeter) who is under the basket?

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I attended the game last night so I'll add a few things at UNHFan's request.

Usually starting spots are earned in practice, but Gibbs' size probably was a factor as well. IMO, it was no coincidence that Gibbs and Janev were high scorers -- they had the strength to deal with the Big East level of play. BTW, Janev's points weren't just jumpers, he went inside for a couple of hoops and drove for a couple.

Christensen had a rough night and it seemed to be in a downward spiral as the game progressed. Once UNH's inability to generate decent shots became the norm, the pressure on Christensen increased as did the defensive attention.

I didn't see any signs of Odom being in the doghouse. Out of the gate, UNH went with the starting five for an extended period of time. That probably reduced minutes for many subs. The good news is that Odom got open for shots better than the other guards, the bad news is that he didn't nail enough of them. He wasn't alone in that department. The wide open shots were few and far between and nobody on UNH was proficient hitting these open shots.

UNH demostrated better fundamentals on defensive rebounding and played better defense. Hopefully, the offense won't struggle as badly once they play in the league.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks you for the update! Sounds like at least the team is improving and hopefully can steal a win or two in the next week. If not this weekend, hopefully next for the home opener against LIU. Interesting to see a Saturday night game on the schedule. I'll be in attendance, anyone else from the board going? Happy Thanksgiving!

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
If all goes well, then there will probably be a football game at Cowell at Noon next Saturday. Just as well that the LIU game is in the evening! The women's tournament at Lundholm this Saturday has to go head to head with the football playoff game which is unfortunate for them.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree it is unfortunate for them and to help out in hopefully getting people in the gym, they are offering both games on Saturday for free. Will be interesting to see how many people they get on Saturday. Let's hope for a UNH sweep in all sports this weekend.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Women's Game

Well, I'm bringing my wife, kids and in-laws to the football game on Saturday, and I can guarantee my wife and mother-in-law watch the first quarter of football and then make their way to Lundholm for the tipoff of the women's game! (my wife is a much bigger basketball fan than football fan!)

FWIW, there was a line backed up to the front doors of the Whittemore Center at the box office when I came in to work today - looks like a bunch of people are stopping by to get football tickets!

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Granite,

Just wait for the day they are lined up like that for Men's Basketball tickets:) Hopefully that day is sooner then we think!

·
Registered
252 Posts
UNHFan said:
Granite,

Just wait for the day they are lined up like that for Men's Basketball tickets:) Hopefully that day is sooner then we think!
Agreed, UNHFan! The success of the football team over the past couple of seasons gives me hope for the future of UNH basketball. I remember thinking during the 3-8 season that the potential was there - I've thought the same thing about the basketball team at times. Good things have happened for football, and I am optimistic about where basketball is headed - and I haven't been able to say that over the past couple of seasons.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Re: Women's Game

Granite said:
FWIW, there was a line backed up to the front doors of the Whittemore Center at the box office when I came in to work today - looks like a bunch of people are stopping by to get football tickets!
This is just so cool!! I mean there is a I-AA Playoff Tripleheader on ESPN2 Saturday including the UNH game. Add in a bunch of I-A rivalry games on the networks. Add in temperatures in the mid 30's in Durham and it is Thanksgiving weekend. Yet, thousands of people are making conscious decisions to spend money to sit out in the cold to watch UNH Football. And to think where we were just two seasons ago!!!

BTW, I hope this gives folks at the non-football schools some insight into what football can bring to the campus experience. In addition, a glimpse into why I've always said football will drive decisions made by the AD at UNH.

Getting psyched for tomorrow's trip to Durham!!!!!

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would say this is a good time to be a UNH fan or alum. Football on ESPN 2 ranked #1 in the country. The Lady Wildcats will be very competitive in the AE as always. Hockey will be solid as usual, and call me crazy but I think the Men's Basketball team is going to surprise some people in the conference. I also believe that the Men's Basketball team under Herrion is going to turn things around and when they do I will say I was one of the 12 season ticket holders from last year:) UNH Alum in CT, have a safe drive up tomorrow and enjoy the game. GO WILDCATS! I'm probably going to try to catch some of the game and then head in for the Boston College North Texas game as I work with one of the BC players at a summer basketball camp.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts