Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Allen Lessels wrote in this weeks UNH NOTEBOOK that the Spring signing period begins Wednesday and last until May 17th. He reported as we all know that Seth Price will sign his letter of intent, but said that Jamel Ferguesson(sp) who had verbally committed would not be coming now. From what I have read about him on this board, that should make a lot of people happy as I had read that most people didn't think he was more than a Div II player. Allen also mentions that UNH would be signing a PG, mostly likely a juco player and that he was going to late until later in the spring to use the last scholarship. Anyone have any idea what happened with Jamel and who or what type of player Herrion plans on using the scholarship on? On a side note, has the ooc schedule become any clearer I know a month ago Herrion said he was having trouble getting games. Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

·
Registered
402 Posts
If I were Herrion I would certainly be talking to Purdue and Louisville in the near future. Where as most college coaches will try to get there players the oppourtunity to play in there home state during there college career that could be 2 OOC home games for the wildcats. You have Lutz at Purdue and Millard at Louisville, both from NH. Those would be 2 potentially huge home OOC games for UNH.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Here's the entire piece from the column so you can read it for yourself:

The spring signing period for basketball begins Wednesday and runs through May 17. Seth Price, a 6-foot 7-inch power forward out of Grove City, Ohio, is expected to sign a national letter of intent to accept a UNH scholarship. He will join a pair of recruits — rebounder Radar Onguetou out of Cameroon and the New Hampton School and shooter Dan McGeary out of Northfield-Mt. Hermon — who signed in the fall. Jamel Ferguson, a swing man out of New York City, had given UNH a verbal commitment to attend, but it does not appear that he will be coming.

That leaves UNH coach Bill Herrion with two scholarships. One could go soon to a point guard. He may hold on to the other a little longer into the spring.
Just to stay legal, here's the link, but the rest of the column is about football and other sports.

UNH Notebook

·
Registered
402 Posts
NU Hoop Fan said:
Herrion's having trouble getting HOME games. He can get all the road games he wants.
I am talking about home games. As UNH Alum In CT already mentioned I am talking about the 2 for 1 deal Billy Donavon worked out with UNH so NH native Matt Bonner could play in front of his home state when he was at Florida. Herrion could try to work out the same type of deal with Rick Pitino and Matt Painter so NH natives Chad Millard and Chris Lutz could have the chance to play in front of thier home state. It might be an easier sell to Purdue. Since Louisville is in the Big East now Pitino may feel that a game in Boston for Millard may be close enough to home. But it would certainly be worth exploring for Herrions Wildcats. If it worked out that would be 2 home games you could certainly move over to the Whittimore center giving the games a more big time feel then playing in the high school type atmosphere of Lundholm gym. Let's go Billy, jump on it!

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would assume Billy is working on this as well as there was a piece in the Union leader last fall talking about a possible game in the next three years against BC or Providence at the Verizon in Manchester. Not sure if that was wishful thinking or if there was something to that.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Grand Finale said:
Yeah, UNH found out that Ferguson can't play. Three first year Division I assistants. Let's hope the others can play.
does anyone know if this was their decision or Ferguson's?

anyone have any Chris Brickley updates?

·
Registered
892 Posts
AE Hoops Fan Man said:
I am talking about home games. As UNH Alum In CT already mentioned I am talking about the 2 for 1 deal Billy Donavon worked out with UNH so NH native Matt Bonner could play in front of his home state when he was at Florida. Herrion could try to work out the same type of deal with Rick Pitino and Matt Painter so NH natives Chad Millard and Chris Lutz could have the chance to play in front of thier home state. It might be an easier sell to Purdue. Since Louisville is in the Big East now Pitino may feel that a game in Boston for Millard may be close enough to home. But it would certainly be worth exploring for Herrions Wildcats. If it worked out that would be 2 home games you could certainly move over to the Whittimore center giving the games a more big time feel then playing in the high school type atmosphere of Lundholm gym. Let's go Billy, jump on it!
Who is Louisville playing in Boston in the Big East? The UCH Beagles are in the ACC now, and unless NU or BU made a jump I am not aware of the BE schedule doesnt include trips to Boston.

·
Registered
402 Posts
animal said:
Who is Louisville playing in Boston in the Big East? The UCH Beagles are in the ACC now, and unless NU or BU made a jump I am not aware of the BE schedule doesnt include trips to Boston.
Haha! My bad, a bit of a brain cramp I guess. I guess the closest they would get to NH would be Providence RI these days! Hey even better chance Louisville might play UNH then! That is if Millard stays there!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Grand Finale said:
I might be going out on a limb, but I don't see Pitino doing any favors (ala, a trip to NH) for Chad Millard. Providence is close enough I would guess.
I agree, thats why I said they had a better chance of getting a Purdue home game. Lutz was a starter for Matt Painter this year and seems to be an important piece of the puzzle for Purdue so Painter may be more likely to try to get him a game in his home state.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I assume Purdue or Louisville wouldnot come until next year, I guess we'll have to look at the schedule and see if we are going to either of those schools this year. I'm hoping both of these schools will come to Durham in the next three years, but I would just be happy to have half of our ooc games be home this year, I'm sure wishful thinking but I can dream!

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
anyone have any info on Andre Boutte who played at The Winchendon school in Mass this past year? I heard UNH had an offer to him (dont kno if they still do)... maybe a replacement for furgeson?

·
Registered
2,171 Posts

·
Registered
9,805 Posts
Tell me UNH would have been in the running for a player like that before Herrion rode into town.....

I have to laugh at Rivals though.......anyone ever notice that players are multiple star recruits.....until they sign with an America East or other lower conference team......then they drop to "NR"........lol.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
deff have to take all those "star rankings" with a grain of salt... granted they gave cory hassan 3 last year.. but didnt even have trimboli, or gibbs on the site

·
Registered
4,592 Posts
Roosevelt Lee is a REAL talent. The only reason he never ended up higher is due to academics(changed schools numerous times,etc...). If he is eligible and went to UNH....he would be a serious player at this level.

·
Registered
9,805 Posts
lsbal said:
Roosevelt Lee is a REAL talent. The only reason he never ended up higher is due to academics(changed schools numerous times,etc...). If he is eligible and went to UNH....he would be a serious player at this level.
I wonder how UNH Alum feels about Lee? I know that he's very high on academics......would be interesting to see if UNH starts sacrificing a bit on the academic side to get a few more higher level recruits under Herrion.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.