Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had heard rumours that Brian Rudolph may be changing his mind, after committing to UNH last week. From what I understand, a couple of A-10 schools have jumped in and asked him to wait.

From the Union Leader in NH:

Yesterday was a good one for the UNH men’s basketball program. First came the paperwork that confirmed that Radar Onguetou, a 6-foot-5, 215-pound frontcourt player in his second year at the New Hampton School, was accepting a scholarship to play at UNH next fall.

Later came word from Massachusetts that Dan McGeary, a 6-1 guard at Northfield-Mount Hermon, was also coming on board. McGeary is from Newton, Mass., and played last year at Roxbury Latin and averaged more than 20 points a game.

Onguetou, who is from Cameroon, Africa, averaged 18 points, 10 rebounds and four assists a game last year.

He was getting some good looks from recruiters last season, but then tore his meniscus and had to sit out the summer, said New Hampton coach Jamie Arsenault.

Southern Methodist and James Madison offered him scholarships early in the fall and then at the last minute held off to see how his knee responded, the coach said.

UNH coaches went to see him play Saturday night and though he’s still not 100 percent, they liked what they saw. He made an official visit to Durham later in the weekend and ended up signing on.

“He loves contact,” said UNH coach Bill Herrion. “For this class, we had to get frontcourt help, we needed to get some inside physical presence. . . . He’s just what the doctor ordered. He’s exactly what we need.”

Yesterday ended the early signing period for national letters of intent and McGeary faxed his material to UNH last night, said John Carroll, associate head coach at Northfield-Mount Hermon.

“He’s a great Bill Herrion kind of guy,” Carroll said. “He’s a very smart ballplayer and an absolute gym rat, an elite three-point shooter.”

Brown, Yale and Dartmouth were all interested, Carroll said. Stanford was due in next Monday, but that visit has been canceled.

UNH’s net total for the day was one.

That’s because Brian Rudolph, who had told the UNH coaches he wanted to accept a scholarship, decided not to sign a letter of intent. Rudolph is a point guard at New Bedford (Mass.) High School.

Allen Lessels covers UNH athletics for the New Hampshire Union Leader and Sunday News. He may be reached at [email protected].

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
Onguetou is a solid get for UNH it seems, sounds like the injury prevented him from going higher, which could end up being a steal for UNH in the long run if the kid has legit CAA/WAC level talent.

McGeary sounds like a guy that probably would fit into the AE, good shooter and basketball IQ.

As for Rudolph, stuff like that happens a lot. A kid accepts because he just is not sure where his season is going to go and does not want to risk not getting a scholarship from a decent conference program, but obviously, like every recruit out there, they want to play at the highest level possible. If they are straightforward with the coaches of the team they verballed to, generally, the coaches are understanding and if the kid gets an offer from a dream school or higher level conference, they will let them take it. I know it is pretty common in other college sports besides basketball, but I am assuming it is the same way. Still, I hope UNH will be able to get Rudolph to sign; they need to infuse that roster with more talent.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
i'm currently a junior at UNH and heard the coaches were estatic that Rudoplh was comming here... i think his high school coach might have swayed him though.. i found this article on him about him coming to unh and this quote stuck out to me...

"Brian could probably play at a higher-level Division I school, but UNH is a solid program and he'll have an opportunity to play all four years there." Ed Rodrigues, head basketball coach

hmm...

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
So what does this mean for Rudolph? Does it mean he could still sign with UNH in the spring?

It's very disappointing news to say the least. We need a point guard BAD, and it seems like Rudolph was recruited to possibly be a four-year (or at least three-year) starter.

·
Registered
187 Posts
It's disappointing yes, but not the end of the world yet. Herrion still has a minimum of two scholarships to give in the spring...one will be a point guard I'm sure. And most likely the other will be a big man.

With the disappointment though, comes a feel good about the two he has signed, especially the kid from New Hampton. I've heard a lot about him, all positive. He was at the UNH-Merrimack game Sunday and looked huge. He's a widebody at 6'5...and is ruggedly built. It'll be fun watching the Prep School results this year, especially those from New Hampton and Northfield Mount Hermon.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
NHHoops said:
It's disappointing yes, but not the end of the world yet. Herrion still has a minimum of two scholarships to give in the spring...one will be a point guard I'm sure.
Does this mean that Rudolph is no longer a possibility?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Will, I don't know the answer to that, but if he doesn't get any takers from bigger league teams, then I'm sure the possibility exist that he could be invited back to Durham. But knowing Herrion, he's already busy trying to find a replacement for Rudolph (hopefully an even better pg)

·
Registered
34 Posts
It's great to see Coach Herrion going out and getting solid players to commit to the program! I'm interested to see what big kid he can find to come in a make an impact and I'm sure that if Rudolph doesn't come to UNH, like NHHoops said, Herrion is looking for another PG with more talent!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts