Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Premium Member
33,191 Posts
I would be surprised if UNH moved to the Patriot League on its own- I think it would only come about as hypothetical AE/Patriot League merger.

Not to take this thread in another direction, but I know in an article that was linked to previously, there was a discussion of the AE maybe having discussions with a conference to merge. If that's true, what other conference could that be besides the Patriot League?

·
Registered
928 Posts
I would be surprised if UNH moved to the Patriot League on its own- I think it would only come about as hypothetical AE/Patriot League merger.

Not to take this thread in another direction, but I know in an article that was linked to previously, there was a discussion of the AE maybe having discussions with a conference to merge. If that's true, what other conference could that be besides the Patriot League?
I would guess that the Great West had a better chance of a merger with the AE than the Patriot. What is the Great West down to for all sports members now 2? I think just NJIT and Chicago St.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
The invite to UNH would make some sense for football purposes. I can see the PL offering UNH because they have a very good football program, the location is pretty accesible and perhaps most importantly it may convince Richmond and Villanova to jump off the CAA wagon and join for football only. This would make the Patriot League the best FCS football conference, generally preserve geography and retain the general academic integrity of the league. 10 football teams; 10 all sport members.

I still prefer Fairfield as first choice for a BU fan, but UNH would also be a great add.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
The invite to UNH would make some sense for football purposes. I can see the PL offering UNH because they have a very good football program, the location is pretty accesible and perhaps most importantly it may convince Richmond and Villanova to jump off the CAA wagon and join for football only. This would make the Patriot League the best FCS football conference, generally preserve geography and retain the general academic integrity of the league. 10 football teams; 10 all sport members.

I still prefer Fairfield as first choice for a BU fan, but UNH would also be a great add.

·
Premium Member
33,191 Posts
I would guess that the Great West had a better chance of a merger with the AE than the Patriot. What is the Great West down to for all sports members now 2? I think just NJIT and Chicago St.
Yeah, no comment on the probability but if the AE did reach out to a conference about a possible merger, that universe is probably only the NEC, MAAC, and Patriot.

The Patriot would be the only conference out of those 3 worth reaching out to about any prospective merger.

·
Registered
42 Posts
UNH for all sports is news to me. UNH had been rumored for football over on the Ivy board.

If I had to pick an AE school for all sports for the Patriot, I'd take UVM.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Yeah, no comment on the probability but if the AE did reach out to a conference about a possible merger, that universe is probably only the NEC, MAAC, and Patriot.

The Patriot would be the only conference out of those 3 worth reaching out to about any prospective merger.
Obviously...my point more was that the Patriot would never merge with the America East because of many things, from school type (private, public) to wanting to brand itself close to the ivy academically. I was just saying the AE merging with the Great West was more likely than merging with the Patriot...

Both of scenarios have as much chance as Gerardo Suero and Darryl Partin getting to the NBA...zero

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
General Statement to all:

what part of ILLEGAL TO REJECT A RECRUIT AT A PUBLIC UNIVERSITY BECAUSE THEY DON'T MEET THE AI, WHICH IS NOT APPLIED TO THE GENERAL STUDENT BODY, IS HARD TO UNDERSTAND?

If this indeed occurred, it means the AI has been significantly lowered to meet that of the student body...even at an academic school like UNH. It'w what they did for Towson and swore they would never ever do again.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Matt Peloquin of CollegeSportsInfo.com, tweeted: "Still hearing lots of Patriot League expansion chatter, including UNH as potential all-sports candidate. W&M too. Nova for FB."

Then to add to the rumors, Colgate football tweeted: "Colgate visits UNH in 2013 (and hosts them in 2015). Will they be members of the Patriot League by then?"

Interesting.

·
Premium Member
33,191 Posts
Obviously...my point more was that the Patriot would never merge with the America East because of many things, from school type (private, public) to wanting to brand itself close to the ivy academically. I was just saying the AE merging with the Great West was more likely than merging with the Patriot...

Both of scenarios have as much chance as Gerardo Suero and Darryl Partin getting to the NBA...zero
The equivalent of this post circa 1991- if there were message boards back then- is "The Patriot League will never offer basketball scholarships"....1998 comes around, fast forward to 2012 football scholarships....we know how this story goes. The Patriot League has shown it's ability to make big changes.

I know the differences in Public/Private schools. To Dane96's point, I understand the AI issue facing public schools- my point is simply that changes can be made, if the Patriot League and member schools wants to make them.

The only conference in the United States that will never, never never never ever change, most likely in our lifetimes, maybe ever- is the Ancient 8.

Every other conference is completely fair game.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
I feel like posters around here just need something to talk about. Every bullshi* rumor on earth is deserving of a thread here?!?

No one here has any idea of whats truly going on in terms of conference realignment but some of you insist on giving opinions that have little value...

I'm tired of all this crappy realignment talk.

Perhaps we should just wait until the officials sources come out...

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
I feel like posters around here just need something to talk about. Every bullshi* rumor on earth is deserving of a thread here?!?

No one here has any idea of whats truly going on in terms of conference realignment but some of you insist on giving opinions that have little value...

Maybe we should go back and make a thread for every Stony Brook press release...

Seriously, it's the off-season. What do you expect?

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Maybe we should go back and make a thread for every Stony Brook press release...

Seriously, it's the off-season. What do you expect?
Is not that is about UNH, or BU and not SBU. Is just that I hate rumors with very little substance. I just searched about this on the web and the only hits I got were the CAAZone and BasketballForum threads about such a rumor. Is it really a rumor, or is it simply something anyone could come up with??...

I think people are just making this up for no reason with very little substance whatsoever. The BU move to the Patriot was clear enough to let anyone know that we as fans have very little idea of what's truly going on in the realignment scene. No one expected such a move. And the next one will likely be unexpected

·
Registered
8,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Don't be bitter because UNH may throw a monkey wrench into SB's plans to leave in the middle of the night for the CAA.

At this point I'd actually like to see Maine petition a Canadian collegiate league for membership in all sports. I'm sick of the U.S collegiate athletics scene........especially in effed up New England.

·
Banned
6,174 Posts

lol a SB fan talking about making too many threads. I heard Fiore's grandson wiped himself for the first time. Can we get a thread for that.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts