Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He's too short. He's like Damon, but without the jump shot. I've had enough of short point guards.

He can't finish in the lane, he makes poor decisions. He makes a ton of turnovers. He has no positive impact on the game.

He's a defensive liability because he's too small and too short.

He dribbles too much (just like a certain mouse).

He's not a leader. He hangs his head a lot.

What does he do well? The only thing he's good at is the quick pass. But for every good one he makes, he makes 5 bad ones.

I know he's young and everything, but I'm not enthused. He has shown virtually no improvement over the season.

It's like you take Steve Francis and take away the ability to score and you have Telfair. Hello journeyman.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Telfair had a bad game. He played like a PG who just came out of high school, and doesn't have a jump shot.

Nothing more, nothing less.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
C'mon Goldmember, he's a 19 year old rookie who's finally getting consistent minutes after his first 40 games. It's WAY too soon to give up on this guy.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Has he ever had a good game? I mean a really good game? Not like 11 points, 6 assists. I'm talking a game where he made actually made a big impact. I can't think of any.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Goldmember said:
He's too short. He's like Damon, but without the jump shot. I've had enough of short, speedy point guards.
so I take it you'd pass on Tony Parker? A whole 2 inches taller, and still not a good 3 point shooter?

He can't finish in the lane,
he's 19.

he makes poor decisions.
he's 19.

He makes a ton of turnovers.
he's 19.

He has no positive impact on the game.
you must not be watching the games then.

interesting. One of the consistent things about him is the fact that he's actually much better defensively than most of us thought he'd be, or want to give him credit for being.

he's 19. Complaining that he's not a leader (which one really can't say one way or the other) is kind of silly.

What does he do well? The only thing he's good at is the quick pass. But for every good one he makes, he makes 5 bad ones.
yah...

I know he's young and everything, but I'm not enthused. He has shown virtually no improvement over the season.
I think you're letting your frustration get the better of you. Because if you honestly don't see any improvement from the start of the season, you must not be watching games.

It's like you take Steve Francis and take away the ability to score and you have Telfair. Hello journeyman.
you're setting yourself up for a lot of abuse here.

I'm not saying he's going to be a "star" (so don't bother making it out like I have, or others have). But if you can't see that he's actually doing pretty good for a guy who a year ago was in high school and playing the hardest position in the league...well, I'm not sure what to think.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
It's like Goldmember is throwing chum into the water.

Ed O.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Goldmember said:
Has he ever had a good game? I mean a really good game? Not like 11 points, 6 assists. I'm talking a game where he made actually made a big impact. I can't think of any.
23 points against the Bobcats. W

18 points, 7 assists and 8-15 against the Suns.

and considering the vast majority of the games he played before Cheeks got himself canned were spot minutes, thats really not a fair question.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Goldmember said:
vs. Phoenix he had 18pts, 7asts and really helped Portland play an up-tempo game.

against Bobcats he poured in 23 points, most all in the 2nd half of a game that was close.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't count the Phoenix game simply because we got blown out by Phoenix so those numbers are the equivalent to garbage time stats.

So one good performance, against an expansion team.

If there's a nice point guard (preferably about 6'3" or above) available for us on draft day I would think long and hard about giving him a look.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Goldmember said:
11 pts/6 assist is a good geam on this team. Look who has to pass to? Victor, outlaw or Przybilla. I like those guys but they don't have the best hands/ jumpshots. you add a shooter and he has 16/9 per game. They are all young and rookies. We should have give up on Terry Porter back in '86. This team needs a lot more than 3 rookies. Give him 2 yrs. He will be an all-star.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Goldmember said:
I don't count the Phoenix game simply because we got blown out by Phoenix so those numbers are the equivalent to garbage time stats.

So one good performance, against an expansion team.

If there's a nice point guard (preferably about 6'3" or above) available for us on draft day I would think long and hard about giving him a look.
good thing you're the GM.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Goldmember said:

He started that game

Goldmember said:
Sure and buy a few more 1st round picks and get a few more SF. :clap: :clap: :cheers:

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Goldmember said:
I guess I couldn't do a worse job than John Nash.
unless you're just saying this to either vent, or to just get people to post, thats a pointless statement.

There is absolutely no way any of us *ANY OF US* would do a better job at GM than Nash.

Know how I know this?

None of us are having teams beat down our doors to run teams. Partly because we all are monday night quarterbacks, but mostly because we come up with trades that stand no shot in hell in working or being realistic, and have such short attention spans, that we expect things to change this very minute, and players to be perfect right away.

You know how many players on this team would be traded instantly with that mentality?

Like I said, there's a reason you, Ed (all 3 of them), Playmaker, myself, Schilly, Howie, Wanker, Trader Bob, Soda and everyone else here isn't a GM.

We're basically clueless, and like to think we know how good players really are.

I mean, afterall, we do spend time sitting on our asses watching them for 2 hours during games. I mean, watching them in practices doesn't make a difference.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Goldmember said:
He's too short. He's like Damon, but without the jump shot. I've had enough of short point guards.

He can't finish in the lane, he makes poor decisions. He makes a ton of turnovers. He has no positive impact on the game.

This is the problem with alot of Portland fans, Want Telfair to look like a 5 year veteran in is his first months starting at age 19. First look at the team we are running with...Most of the team is first year starters..

Second the kid cant play his full game with Damon out there, because it seems as soon as damon touches it, he shoots or he handles the ball more during the game. Telfair is being held back with damon still on this team, because it seems the GM's still want Damon show cased or something.

Also if half the people caught Telfairs passes he would be gaining alot more assists during games.

Im sorry Ill wait for a couple years before we have another Jermaine happen.

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
The roller coaster goes on and on....Sebastien is great..Sebastien is awful...Sebastien is great...Sebastien is awful...Sebastien is great...Sebastien is awful....

The real problem is it is hard to watch a bad team when it is your favorite team. You want them to do well, and turn it around, but when it doesn't happen it causes the "Old wound" to cause some pain :) The best thing is to watch and slowly see the team turn around, as it will one day. Remember it was just a few years ago the Pistons hit rock bottom..and look at em now.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Blazerfan024 said:
This is the problem with alot of Portland fans, Want Telfair to look like a 5 year veteran in is his first months starting at age 19. First look at the team we are running with...Most of the team is first year starters..
The starting lineup actually has plenty of experience. Let's look at the rest of the starting lineup's # of career starts (with total career games):

Damon: 665 (712)
Miles: 161 (360)
SAR: 612 (655)
Przybilla: 138 (213)

Joel might be a surprise to people, but he's started the majority of the games he's played in in his NBA career.

I'm not blaming the losing on Telfair by ANY stretch, but the starting lineup's inexperience outside of Bassy certainly isn't to blame.

Ed O.

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
I agree with you about the experience Ed O. What I would look at though is the quality of player. Shareef is the only guys out of all of those guys who I would expect to be dependable on getting a pass and scoring inside. Miles has shown nothing but inconsistency, with his best games being in open court helter skelter games. Joel has emerged with good limited game, but is far from the offensive threat you want taking the shots inside, as he can pretty much not get anything but a pick and roll dunk to go down. Damon is a guy who gets hot in stretches, but not often enough. He is also not a guy that you pass to cutting down the lane becuase he is too small to finish amongst the trees. Now that being said, there really is only one guy in the starting lineup that has shown he is a good option to pass to on the inside. That is Shareef.

Think of it this way. Out of the starting lineup...how many of the players were legitimate starters for long periods of time on anther team? Damon and Shareef. Darius is really a 2nd string forward who doesn't play well at all unless he starts for the most part, which makes it a bad situation. Joel was a 2nd string and even 3rd string center in Milwaukee, and he is hardly a primary offensive option, he is mostly a garbage man or pick and roll player.

What the team is lacking, is players who can create a their own shot.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
hasoos said:
Think of it this way. Out of the starting lineup...how many of the players were legitimate starters for long periods of time on anther team? Damon and Shareef.
Well, that's half the rest of the starting lineup. That's not too bad.

Darius is really a 2nd string forward who doesn't play well at all unless he starts for the most part, which makes it a bad situation. Joel was a 2nd string and even 3rd string center in Milwaukee, and he is hardly a primary offensive option, he is mostly a garbage man or pick and roll player.
Joel started 92 of the 141 games that he played for the Bucks. If he weren't injured so much of the time, he might have started a couple dozen more. He was the first-string center for the majority of the time he was in Milwaukee.

I agree that he's not an excellent player, but he's a defensive presence and a pretty good rebounder.

As for Miles: I agree he's limited in many respects, and motivation has been a big issue.

What the team is lacking, is players who can create a their own shot.
They're lacking a lot of things, but that's one of them. The new and improved all-shorty back court is probably the single biggest factor to me, though; Damon can't stop PGs and he has NO PRAYER of slowing down most 2 guards.

Picking apart why this team is losing is like looking at whether Hitler flossed his teeth regularly, though.

Ed O.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts