Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
i would think the AD and coach get fired. It is certainly not good optics. At the very least it looks like the school did not have their sh*t in order.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Whatever school it ends up being, what are the possible consequences?

Would this be something the coach would get fired for?
-What did they know?
-When did they know it?
-What was their obligation upon learning the information?

Only when there are answers to those questions (and they will differ for every party involved) can anyone answer yours, I'd think.

And there will be answers, be it in an internal investigation or in a court of law (although not necessarily in this case, without knowing who the "unidentified defendants" specifically are).

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
has to be maine or unh right? based on "At that time, AECS athletics staff stated that although the men's basketball and hockey teams were 'not great,' the women's swim team 'wouldn't be at' AECS without them."
I don't think men's hoop is a money maker at either UNH or Maine.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
I don't recall that there is anything in the lawsuit that indicates that a coach was involved in or did anything wrong. One could question the AD's actions based on what is alleged, but there is a second side of the story that is still unheard.

It is very difficult for a school to discipline a player if their accuser refuses to make a formal charge. It does seem like pretty bad form for the school to wait until the accuser has agreed to go with an informal proceeding (i.e. no immediate discipline against the player) and then almost immediately launch an advertising campaign that highlights the accused player.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
-What did they know?
-When did they know it?
-What was their obligation upon learning the information?

Only when there are answers to those questions (and they will differ for every party involved) can anyone answer yours, I'd think.

And there will be answers, be it in an internal investigation or in a court of law (although not necessarily in this case, without knowing who the "unidentified defendants" specifically are).
No AE school, coach or administrator is currently a defendant. The "unidentified defendants" is a moniker for future defendants whose actions are uncovered during the course of investigation/discovery.

This lawsuit is about the NCAA, not the AE or one of the schools. From a quick glance, it appears that the AE component is being used to get the current academic year in so that whatever actions the NCAA has taken in the recent past can be deemed "not good enough". I think all of the allegations against Nebraska and Michigan State are older.

If you really want to know whether it is your school or not, call the Athletic Department and ask "Is this us?". If it isn't your school, they will tell you "No". If it is, they will tell you "Yes" or "We can't comment on open litigation" or "No comment".

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
No AE school, coach or administrator is currently a defendant. The "unidentified defendants" is a moniker for future defendants whose actions are uncovered during the course of investigation/discovery.

If you really want to know whether it is your school or not, call the Athletic Department and ask "Is this us?". If it isn't your school, they will tell you "No". If it is, they will tell you "Yes" or "We can't comment on open litigation" or "No comment".
Thanks for the clarification on "unidentified defendants." I don't get sued very often.

I've thought about that last part: I feel like if this wasn't my school, I'd be going out of my way to make sure this wasn't my school...which would leave one that would not be doing that.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I don't recall that there is anything in the lawsuit that indicates that a coach was involved in or did anything wrong. One could question the AD's actions based on what is alleged, but there is a second side of the story that is still unheard.

It is very difficult for a school to discipline a player if their accuser refuses to make a formal charge. It does seem like pretty bad form for the school to wait until the accuser has agreed to go with an informal proceeding (i.e. no immediate discipline against the player) and then almost immediately launch an advertising campaign that highlights the accused player.
She is making it seem like they tried to sway her towards an informal complaint and make it as confusing as possible.. that is no bueno.

why sue the ncaa? Sue the school.

I happy it says AECS and not Binghamton.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
There has not been a woman on the UNH Swim team from Vermont for the past three years. I also can't picture an AD at UNH sweeping this under the rug doesn't sound like UNH or Coach Herrion who is a class individual.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
The weekend of 11-15 UNH was at Maine for two games while Vermont was home for two games against BC.

·
Registered
570 Posts
There has not been a women on the UNH Swim team the past three years. I also can't picture an AD at UNH sweeping this under the rug doesn't sound like UNH or Coach Herrion who is class individual.
Seems like there were 20 of them last year based on the online team roster.

That said, the fact pattern here is clearly not encouraging for Vermont. I agree the description of the basketball team as “not great” doesn’t fit, but that could easily be a misquote or misunderstanding of what someone said or meant. I certainly don’t want to think that, given the belief I have in the team’s leadership and culture, but the optics are poor based on available information.

And the fact that the alleged offender was involved in some type of commercial or advertisement in January implies it was probably not somebody sitting at the end of the bench for whatever team it is.

Trying to keep an open mind about this, but pretty discouraging and disappointing on the surface, regardless of which team it is.

·
5,947 Posts
I was hoping I wouldn't have to say this, but I will as a precaution.

Over the course of the day, I've seen on multiple forums, including Twitter and Reddit, trying to identify the victim (thankfully with no success) with the purpose of trying to shame her. I trust posters here wouldn't, but if it gets to that point, even with new posters, I'll have to lock the thread and delete the post.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I know we have some, can our "real world" lawyers help with some of the details?
Virtually all lawsuits are filed with the 'kitchen sink' of allegations and outrageous statement included. Plaintiff's attorneys never tone down the allegations, but rather make them as 'loud' as possible. And before any of you jump down my throat about this, I have no idea who is right or wrong in this, but we do have a legal system to sort this out and get to the bottom of it. Yes - it is not a perfect system, but it has generally worked for us for over 200 years. Many of you are automatically taking the side of the accusers. Just because someone is quoted in a complaint does not make it a fact.

Bottom line - if true, then despicable. But it is too early to get there.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Virtually all lawsuits are filed with the 'kitchen sink' of allegations and outrageous statement included. Plaintiff's attorneys never tone down the allegations, but rather make them as 'loud' as possible. And before any of you jump down my throat about this, I have no idea who is right or wrong in this, but we do have a legal system to sort this out and get to the bottom of it. Yes - it is not a perfect system, but it has generally worked for us for over 200 years. Many of you are automatically taking the side of the accusers. Just because someone is quoted in a complaint does not make it a fact.

Bottom line - if true, then despicable. But it is too early to get there.
I mean I want to see the complaint, but generally, you don't want your allegations to be too specific because then it can be disproven. You want broad, general allegations of misconduct. Specific quotes are not ideal unless you wrote down what was said in your journal that day.

I wasn't going to post that thought on here, but now that YOU did...yeah, I was totally with you.

Interesting that the school is not named when others are. I can see reasons for it, but is that an implication that there is not pending legal action (either civil or criminal) against that school at this time? I would think it would be strange if they were part of this joint lawsuit against the NCAA, but not taking action against the institution. I'd also think it'd be strange if the school was being sued in its own right, but their name was being held from this other lawsuit.

I know we have some, can our "real world" lawyers help with some of the details?
Possible the victim is a minor and therefore would need to be kept confidential.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.