Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
Thank you to everyone that has posted on this thread as many of my questions have been asked and answered. Like everyone, I am appalled at the way this was handled by the university official (if accurate). To use those phrases to a victim that comes forward is inappropriate at best and downright despicable at worst. I hate that one of our great universities in this conference would have an employee or employees that would act that way and hope that when the whole story comes out, those people are held accountable. I would feel this way if it were Maine, UNH or Vermont. It is completely unacceptable.

At any rate, I have a larger question, especially for the legal people in the forum. I know this lawsuit is basically being filed against the NCAA. How on earth is the NCAA responsible for everything that takes place on the college campuses of the member schools? I guess I have a hard time seeing how the NCAA is liable in any of this. I am probably way off on this so my apologies if that is the case but I am having a hard time seeing what they could have done in order to prevent this from happening. To me, the schools are ultimately responsible for protecting their entire student body.

Thanks in advance for the responses.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
no updates since initial article. where is pete thamel when you need him
Too busy asking college football coaches when the season will start. After Manti Te'o, he's not the guy you want on this story at all. He can stick to coaching speculation that is just looking at coach records and throwing them at bigger jobs.

I would put money that journalists who cover these teams are aware of it. I think they might be in a hard spot though. The school they cover isn't being sued. The America East isn't being sued. The NCAA is. We still aren't sure why that's the case, but it is. So, both the schools and the league can probably collectively stay quiet or give some statement about not commenting on any potential legal action that implicates either the school itself or its conference members. I'm not an expert legally so those that are can tell me I'm wrong.

Furthermore, if one school comes out and says "not us" even though you'd want that out there, it probably gets political inside the league office because School X said it wasn't us, meaning now people know it's School Y, and they went and outed School Y. As gross as that makes me, or anyone else feel about how other schools likely are going to cover for as long as they can about a school in their own league that pressured someone into a resolution where their rapist faced no consequence and treated the victim poorly during the process of the complaint, that's probably how it's being handled at the moment.

Finally, I would guess some media outlets have procedures on how they can go about reporting on sexual assault cases. While I would say anyone who studies the America East portion of the lawsuit can come to some very reasonable conclusions based on the statements made that it points strongly toward one institution, again that institution isn't being sued, probably everyone at that school isn't going to be talking to the media about it, and the media outlet might have policies on how it sources background information; meaning they can't run with someone unless they have a statement from the institution. Not to mention victim right's protection as well. Again, I really don't have the answers; it's not my profession, but I could easily see there being a few roadblocks to just trying to go through with the story and speculating based on the suit that was filed...that takes time to gather information too. It's been a week, and investigative reporting doesn't just come out in a week.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
WCAX in Vermont has now reported on the lawsuit:

They reached out to Schulman who basically gave a no comment citing privacy concerns, which to be fair, is expected. WCAX is the most watched/most followed on social media news in the state, so now definitely more people know about it in VT.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #65 (Edited)
The Burlington Free Press now has a story on the case:

In it, there is a key detail, plus another quote from Schulman, which essentially is saying "The Title IX office handles everything." You'll have to read it to find it, but I think if you take that, and other descriptive elements of the case, it still points the evidence in the direction of one school, which has been the conclusion in the minds of many here from the start.

Once more, I will caution all: do not say anything you will later regret. This means under no circumstances whatsoever should you name the victim, as that is completely inappropriate in every sense of the word.

·
5,981 Posts
The complaint lists the swimmer as “Plaintiff Jane Doe 3” or “JD3” and a “citizen of the State of Vermont.” However, Michigan-based lawyer Karen Truszkowski, one of the attorneys for the plaintiffs, told the Burlington Free Press on May 1 that the Vermont designation was an oversight in the filing and “Jane Doe 3” is a citizen of New York.

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
Yeah, I saw that.

That's a pretty big "oops".

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #70 (Edited)
Again, everyone, please be careful in your replies. The "oversight" may have inaccurately described where JD3 is from in one sense, but it also may have confirmed where JD3 was being educated. The reporting may have further confirmed a key part of JD3's identity which needs to be treated with extreme caution.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Honestly, I would feel better if this thread were locked or deleted. There's no value that comes from discussing this anymore.
Value quickly goes away when some posters are quick to further their personal schtick by making a dumb map joke involving a rape case, so I would be inclined to agree with you if that attitude persists.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.